Killing Running Apps and Removing BloatwareSupport

Last Updated:

1. tyneusch

tyneusch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Simple question. Is there an app out there, that is NOT a battery hog, and keeps services off...OR is there a way to get rid of the bloatware on the SF WITHOUT rooting?

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

You can't touch carrier bloatware without root sorry :(

3. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I was going to say you can odin clockwork on without root and the flash a rom but every rom out there now has root in it :p
    Besides, who gets clockwork with root:confused:

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

As the guys have said, you can only remove the bloat if you root and even then it is advisable to simply freeze them instead of uninstalling them.

Also, there is no need to kill the apps. If you used the back button or exit/quite option in some apps to leave them then they are gone or are drifting off to the land of cache. Killing them prematurely will only cause future troubles.

5. nitsuj17

Yeah I can't think of one good reason to have cwr without root. I can see some wanting root without recovery I suppose.....

Still its like pb&j to me....it just goes together well :)

6. tyneusch

Well I guess I will be rooting. The only reason I ask is that the GTalk service and a couple others are always running in the background but I NEVER use them so I just want them to not run. I am fairly knowledgable with my phone but I am confused on this aspect.

Also (off topic) does anyone know the apps name that sends you to the home screen after you end a call...cant, for the life of me, find it.

7. nitsuj17

Never ever under any circumstances touch any Google apps! !!! I know its fine to freeze/rename/deltet them on other phones its a non-no on this phone.....it will screw up market downloads

8. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Here's a better analogy than pb&j....you and flashing anything in clockwork. I've seen peanut butter without jelly...never seen you without flashing something in a 24 hour period. :p

oh wait why am I standing in front of a mirror :confused:;)

9. nitsuj17

Yeah that's a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black there saps: ) j/k

I guess tbh I probably boot into cwr 10-15 times a day between kernels and theme testing

There is something beautiful about voodoo5 skipping stock recovery and that few seconds i that stock rec would take to flash the update.zip. love that it now goes straight t cwr :)

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

That Gtalk service that you are see is dealing with your sync. It helps control the sync for the market, gmail, contacts, calendar, etc. You don't want to mess around with killing or uninstalling that. There are things on Android that are tied into a ton of other stuff and this is one of them.

There is a pretty good list of bloat apps that you can freeze/uninstall from the phone around here someplace, but like nitsuj17 said, you don't want to mess with anything that has the "G" word in it.

tyneusch likes this.
  11. tyneusch

Understood! That saved my phones life right there, thanks!