Kind of a dillema.. (N1 on T-Mobile)

Last Updated:

1. Hutzal

Hutzal Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I am new here, but have been lurking for around 5 months now eyeing the N1. Well the time has come when I am ready to take the full plunge to Google Voice and Android.

I am currently on T-Mobile, and have thought for awhile that I would just upgrade to the N1. But I have been reading about issues with T-Mobile 3G problems?

This is a BIG problem as google voice is basically reliant on having an internet connection for texts and outgoing calls. I would love to stick with T-Mobile and not have to switch over to Sprint (for the EVO 4G).

Can you T-Mobile N1 owners chime in and give me some advice? I want to know how reliable the 3G coverage for the N1 has been for you. I have done my research, but since I will be subsidizing the phone, I don't want to get screwed later and have to terminate my contract and pay tons.

Any comparisons on N1 3G to EVO 3G? Also, if there is no 3G, does the N1 have good Edge connection at least? I think that would be good enough for Google Voice.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Maris

Maris Well-Known Member

It probably depends on what kind of 3G area you live/work in. What kind of service do you get right now from Tmo? I live on the borderline of 3G service for T-Mobile yet I am getting great service from them on my N1. I recently updated to 2.2 and am still getting good 3G service on my stock N1.

3. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

First just to clarify if it isn't already known, the 3G issue has nothing to do with the phone, but T-Mo's 3G coverage.

If you have a T-Mo phone already, and it doesn't have 3G, then you have a good idea of what edge will be like. Full bars should make you feel more confident of the full potential of edge. Browsing the internet, downloading apps, wallpapers, things like this will be slow, but doable. The stock browser can load some web pages blazingly fast, even on edge. Opera is even better at loading web pages faster because of reasons I am not aware of. (smaller, condensed data packets or something, I don't know) I don't think watching videos, streaming music or any of the other enriching media that the N1 offers is possible, at least enjoyable, over edge. However, the doesn't mean you can't use WiFi to enjoy these features, and that with a full edge connection you can still enjoy the bulk of the phone.

It would be a good idea to find out if you have 3G in your area, especially where you spend most of your time stationary. I live in a major city and find that in some patches I can get blazingly fast speeds while in some patches all I can get is edge. It is annoying to not have it consistently as I move, but if I am in a good 3G coverage area and don't plan on going anywhere, I can really enjoy the entire phone. This is a condition of T-Mo's 3G network and will depend on where you live and if coverage is available. (Unless you live in the boondocks, I am sure you will be fine)

4. sourmilk

sourmilk Well-Known Member

I used to have a sprint hero and now i have a t-mo N1. my experience in nyc is that 3g speeds are faster on t-mo if i have a strong connection. when in the city area i usually have solid 3g coverage, but when i go to more suburban areas, 3g gets spotty, but i almost always get full to half bars of edge. also, inside some buildings, sprint's coverage is better and t-mo's coverage sometimes drops completely especially when there are no windows.

5. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

I used a Nexus One on T-Mobile from the beginning of February until early June. Best phone I've ever used but the network is garbage. As awesome as the phone was, the crappiness of the network overcame the amazingness of the phone. 3G coverage is horrible. Building penetration is horrible. Couldn't stand it any more so I sold the N1 and got a Droid Incredible with Verizon.

6. Hutzal

Thanks for all the replies.

The thing I am most concerned about is having a data connection (at least edge) as much as i have a cell signal. Since I am moving to GV data is so important to have as much as even having a cell tower signal. I live in a major city, so I really don't expect many issues, if any.

I currently don't have a phone that has any data on T-Mobile (old flip phone). So I am taking a big leap in technology here, where I am most of the day I have wifi and pretty good 3G (according to the coverage map on T-Mobile).

In any case, I think I am willing to take the plunge. Had the purchase screen up multiple times today...took it all the way to credit card info.. haha.

@Zillah:
    I didn't know that the problem was with TMob, and not the N1. Good to know!

7. clickwir

clickwir Member

Make sure Google Voice is and does what you think it does. So far, I've not actually been able to use it to make any calls.

Either way. Google Voice would be 1 out of 35432543254163253 reasons to get the phone. Even if Google Voice doesn't work for you, the phone is still going to be awesome, 24/7, non-stop.

8. French Fry

French Fry New Member

That's correct, the issue is the network, not the phone.

there is NOTHING wrong with the N1. I should know, I have one. :D
    it took me long enough to take the plunge (the bad press about the N1 made me hesitant for a long time)

I'm in the same boat, actually. I can't quite decide if I will stay on T-Mo or go to Sprint and get the EVO instead because of network isssues, nothing else.

One thing I found very useful is to check this map to see how the coverage is where you live. Hope that helps.

Root Wireless - CNET Reviews

Good luck with your decision

9. Hutzal

Pulled the trigger on the Nexus today...

Moved all my contacts to google, cleaned up the groups, made sure all is in order...

As well, moved my iCal to Google Calendar... I am pretty excited to get this phone! Thanks for all the input guys

10. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

It's the most powerful Android (vanilla) phone that you can buy right now. And it's Google's baby, so we'll get all the cool stuff first.

Personally, if T-Mobile doesn't vastly improve their 3G coverage here in Utah by the end of the year, I'm gonna sell my Nexus One and move to Verizon (they have amazing coverage in Utah).

11. VMX

VMX Well-Known Member

Why not just use the nexus on ATT? It supports ATT 3g.

12. MrQuietguy

MrQuietguy Member

Only if you have the AT&T version of the Nexus One. If you have the T-Mobile version, you can use it on an AT&T network (as I do), but not with 3G, only with Edge.

13. VMX

VMX Well-Known Member

So what's the point of paying $530 for an unlocked phone, that's nor unlocked? I bought mine under the impression that I had a choice if carriers?

14. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Unlocked only means that you buy the phone by itself and you dont sign up for a contract when you purchase it. It does not mean that you can use the phone on any carrier (no phone does this, since it would need 4 different radios to pick up 4 different carrier frequencies).

The whole reason you buy an unlocked Nexus One full price is to SAVE money (and the freedom from a 2 year contract). T-mobile's Even More Plus plan for Voice and Data (no contract) is $49.99/mo if you cancel the $10 text messaging like you should and use the free Google Voice app for text messaging instead...

This is by far the CHEAPEST and most flexible plan in the game today for such a high-end smartphone. If you do the math comparing amount of money you spend on a Nexus One at $50/mo over a 2 yr period vs the amount you would spend on any other smartphone for the same amount of time, you will see that you end up saving a good amount of money and have alot more freedom.

15. VMX

VMX Well-Known Member

well I got that wrong then LOL and I was thinking of switching to ATT, nevermind

16. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

In addition to what ap3604 says, the other benefits of it being sold unlocked are for traveling abroad...you can pop any pay as you go sim card into it without racking up huge international bills. In addition, most of the world uses the same 3G frequencies as TMobile does in the US.