Kinda nervous

Last Updated:

1. raiderfost

raiderfost Member This Topic's Starter

Never rooted a phone before and kinda nervous about doing it. Can anyone tell me how easy or not easy it is and how long i should expect to spend doing it?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. 00h2itr

00h2itr Well-Known Member

Even the 1.5 manual method was easy... the one touch and new ways are even easier.

Go for it!!!

raiderfost likes this.
  3. raiderfost

:confused:Does the one touch work just as well? Will i lose all my contacts and such?

4. 00h2itr

I have never tried the one touch, I did the manual 1.5 myself personally.

With your contacts, make sure they are "google" type contacts, then you are good as they are sync'd with google.

I did however have to backup my wifes to a CSV file then import into Gmail since there is no way to change a contact from phone to google type.

5. raiderfost

Excuse my stupid questions please, because i am completly ignorant to this process. Will my phone continue to work with sprint and my number?

6. 00h2itr

Yes, no issues with sprint, and your number. Just a different phone load if you will.

The ESN and things like that are linked to Sprint.

7. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

The Universal One-Click rooting method is the easiest way to root your Sprint HTC Hero, in my opinion. Then, all you really need to do is flash the recovery image, which is like an updated "BIOS" for your Sprint HTC Hero, that will let you make Nandroid backups of your existing Android setup and flash new ROMs like CyanogenMod 6, for example.

You will get all of your contacts back on your Sprint HTC Hero if you sign back into Google on your handset after you flash a new ROM. You will not lose your Sprint phone number.

8. raiderfost

Can you please post a link to this universal one click method? How long should i expect it to take?
    Thannk you

9. deedub

deedub Well-Known Member

10. LBPHeretic

Thanks, deedub. I thought I had posted it already, but it was another thread I just posted in that I posted it. :D

The Universal One-Click rooting method, I would think, should take you less than ten minutes to do from start to finish. Honestly, I do not see why it would take more than five minutes really, because it is that easy. :)

11. raiderfost

ok ! Im rooted now. Whats the next step to make this phone better?

12. LBPHeretic

You can install ROM Manager and then flash the ClockworkMod recovery image. After you do that you can then flash a custom ROM like CyanogenMod 6.

ROM Manager should be available in the Android Market. Just download it and mess around with it and you will see the menu option to install the ClockworkMod recovery image. By the way, you will want to do a Nandroid backup of your existing stock Android 2.1 setup first before installing a custom ROM. I believe with ROM Manager you can do it within Android, but you can also boot into recovery by holding the down volume button and hitting the power button when your Sprint HTC Hero is off.

cotandem and raiderfost like this.
  13. raiderfost

How do i get this CyanogenMod 6.? Is it much better?

14. LBPHeretic

You can get CyanogenMod 6 RC1 here: HTC Hero - CyanogenMod Forum . By the way, I suggest you grab the Google add-on pack too because it contains all of the Google apps that CyanogenMod 6 does not have by default. You can get more detailed instructions on flashing ROMs if you search around on these forums.

CyanogenMod 6 runs Android 2.2 instead of Android 2.1 that your Sprint HTC Hero has now. There are plenty of other ROMs you can try too like Fresh 2.4 or ZenEXP 0.9.7.

15. raiderfost

CyanogenMod 6 IS UP AND RUNNING BUT MY CONTACTS ARENET THERE AND DO I HAVE TO RE DOWNLOAD ALL MY APPS?

16. LBPHeretic

Whoa, what is with the caps lock, man? Haha. Did you sign back into your Google account yet with CyanogenMod 6? All of your contacts should be restored if you have them stored in your Google account.

If you go into the Android Market you should be able to automatically redownload all of your apps. I forget exactly how you do that but maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

17. raiderfost

THANKS for all your help!

18. LBPHeretic

No problem. I hope you enjoy your rooted Sprint HTC Hero. ;)

Ironically, I still have not actually rooted mine. I will be soon enough though. I just enjoy helping others out. These forums have helped me so much that I like to give back. :)

19. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

Just root it already. lol
    I was so paranoid for the longest time but I finally just said what the hell you only live once. And now I kick my self for not doing it much sooner.

I know your not scared or paranoid so what you waiting for?

20. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

+1;)

21. LBPHeretic

Yeah, you guys are right. I will be most likely be rooting this weekend when I have a bit more time. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. I cannot wait to join the fun. :)

22. Jyro275

Jyro275 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you flashed/installed the Cyanogen ROM AND the GApps before rebooting your phone? And that your contacts were stored in your Gmail account and not on your phone before you Rooted?