1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

kindle app and saving books on nexus 7 - how does it woe

1. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

I have been downloading lots of good price kindle books on my nexus 7.
    However don't want to use up too much space.
    How does it work, does the whole book download or does it archive and download when its clicked on?
    Or does it work that way if it is downloaded through the PC?
    Can someone explain how it works please?

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Your purchased books are on the Kinde server, your archive.
    For to read a book you have to download it on your tab.
    After finishing the book you could shove it back to the archive.

Harry
    mm43 likes this.
  3. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    How do I do that?
    I have about 300 kindle books on my nexus. Maybe 50 read so far. Would like to store those 50 and maybe 200 more on the PC. Just leaving 50 on the nexus at one time.
  4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The layout of the Kindle app on a phone, a tablet, PC etc. differs a little.
    But basic, at the menu/tabs/buttons there are to find "On Device" and "Archive". "Archive" shows the books that are on the Kindle server.

So tap on "On Device" and have a long pess on a book and choose "Delete on device" or similar. This book will be shoved to the Kindle server and you'll find it in "Archive".

I take it you have installed the Kindle reader on your PC (if not, download it from the Kindle web site).
    On Kindle on PC go on "Archive" an tap on a book that you'll have on your PC.
    The book will be downloaded on PC and you'll find it in "On Device".

This is the Kindle schema :)
    With this amount of books of yours it'll be a lot of work.
    I hope, your question wasn't about a faster way ... ;)

Harry
  5. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks Seems a slow way lol
    And if I make a mistake and sync... they all go back? lol
    I did have 2 or 3 that said archived on my tablet Dont know why

Just opened kindle app on my pc Some books have little arrows Are they the archived on my pc then?
  6. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

I have done as you suggested and pressed on remove from device

Now 140 of my books have a little arrow at bottom left Is that correct?

Was expecting them to disapear lol

Kindle on pc looks pretty much the same!
  7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Sync means just sync the last read book page on all devices ... so you can't make a mistake.

Archiv on your tablet means these books are in the cloud (= Kindle server) and not archived on your tablet.

I didn't use the Kindle reader on PC for a long time, but I think the downwards arrows means downloadable ... means these books are in the cloud (= Kindle server).

See, on a device the books viewed in Archive means these books aren't stored at this device, they are stored on the Kindle server, but they are available via download anytime.

Harry
    mm43 likes this.
  8. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Just trying to understand this bit, (bear with me I am no spring chicken lol)
    Are you saying open kindle for pc, click on a book with an arrow and it downloads to pc - or tablet?
    Don't want to download any more to the nexus until I read some lol.

Also on kindle for pc I seem to have a lot of books with no arrow. But they are not all on the nexus tablet
    In the my kindle folder on the pc there are not many books at all!
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, actions on you PC's Kindle reader hasn't any influence on your Nexus tablet's Kindle app and vice versa ... say, on your PC's Kindle reader you are not able to see books that are stored on your tablet's Kindle app or to move these books on your tablet' Kindle app :)

I had a look on the Kindle reader on my PC, user interface is the same as on my tablet's Kindle app.

Left side below LIBRARY stands
    All Items
    Downladed Items
    Archived Items

On PC:
    Click on Downloaded Items,
    you see the books that are stored on your PC.
    Click on Archived Items,
    you see the books that aren't stored on your PC (they are stored in the cloud at the Kindle server).

On Tablet:
    Tap on Downloaded Items,
    you see the books that are stored on your Tablet.
    Tap on Archived Items,
    you see the books that aren't stored on your tablet (they are stored in the cloud at the Kindle server).

Now you can take action :)
    On PC it's righ-button mouse click on a book for download or remove.
    On tablet it's a tap on a book for download and a long press on a book for remove.

Harry
    mm43 likes this.
  10. mm43

mm43 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much That helps a lot.