• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kindle app availalble for Droid

Eurosteve

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't seen any comments on the new Kindle app specifically regarding the Droid. I downloaded it a few days ago and it is great.

IMO the Kindle app is the best ebook reader - great selection of titles, easy to purchase, good prices and just a top notch app. It also automatically synchs with all of my other Kindle compatible devices.

But what really stands out in this app, over other ebook readers on the Droid is the fact that the developers found a way to lower the screen brightness - lower than I've seen with any other app - so you can read in a dark room (in bed) without staring at a bright screen. Plus, just in case that contrast isn't low enough, the developers added a sepia background, under "View Options." This makes the background an off-white.

I highly recommend this app as the best ebook reader for the Droid - by far.

Reactions: Alyianna
Wow, thanks for sharing this! I had no idea there was a Kindle App. I have been using the Barnes & Noble E-reader for my PC... because I plan to get a Nook very soon. I have been begging them to get a reader out for the Android community... perpetually "coming soon" which irritates me. The irony is... the Nook is run on Android! Should be easier to get us an app. There was one for the iPad within the week after release.

Now... as soon as I finish my current book, I may have to rethink things and get a Kindle instead of a Nook so all my books are available on all my devices.

Upvote 0
I've been considering getting an actual ebook reader (the main deterrent; i don't read very often to begin with, so I probably wouldn't find the time to use it)

What turns me off about this (and the iPad) is the fact that these screens suck for long continuous reading.

The Kindle's screen is actually not bad. It does look like you're looking at a page and there is no glare.

Upvote 0
The Kindle for Android application is great. Amazon is doing well - now supporting FREE ebook reading apps on Android, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPad, Blackberry, Windows PC's and Mac Computers.

It's awesome because I can read on my work PC, my home pc, my iPhone 3GS (which is being used as an iPod touch since I "quit" AT&T) and now on my HTC EVO. Not to mention my Kindle 2 when I want the best reading experience possible.

I wish I could get my blog on my phone but meh, it's fine. The app does most of what I'd expect it to. Go Amazon!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones