1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle app availalble for Droid

Last Updated:

1. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't seen any comments on the new Kindle app specifically regarding the Droid. I downloaded it a few days ago and it is great.

IMO the Kindle app is the best ebook reader - great selection of titles, easy to purchase, good prices and just a top notch app. It also automatically synchs with all of my other Kindle compatible devices.

But what really stands out in this app, over other ebook readers on the Droid is the fact that the developers found a way to lower the screen brightness - lower than I've seen with any other app - so you can read in a dark room (in bed) without staring at a bright screen. Plus, just in case that contrast isn't low enough, the developers added a sepia background, under "View Options." This makes the background an off-white.

I highly recommend this app as the best ebook reader for the Droid - by far.

Advertisement
    Alyianna likes this.
  2. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for sharing this! I had no idea there was a Kindle App. I have been using the Barnes & Noble E-reader for my PC... because I plan to get a Nook very soon. I have been begging them to get a reader out for the Android community... perpetually "coming soon" which irritates me. The irony is... the Nook is run on Android! Should be easier to get us an app. There was one for the iPad within the week after release.

Now... as soon as I finish my current book, I may have to rethink things and get a Kindle instead of a Nook so all my books are available on all my devices.

3. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Funny I just DLed this last night and need to try it out.

4. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

I've been considering getting an actual ebook reader (the main deterrent; i don't read very often to begin with, so I probably wouldn't find the time to use it)

What turns me off about this (and the iPad) is the fact that these screens suck for long continuous reading.

5. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

DL'd and text is garbled with strange characters. Troubleshooted and found out mods or roots,ex. Cyanogen, isn't supported....great....

6. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

7. highxj

highxj Member

Been using it for a couple days with BB 4, no problems. Great app. Using white text on black with the brightness turned down quite a bit, it is very easy on the battery too!

8. Sideshowbob492

Sideshowbob492 Member

The Kindle's screen is actually not bad. It does look like you're looking at a page and there is no glare.

9. OlManRivah

OlManRivah Well-Known Member

Not bad, but, doesn't support subscriptions, newspapers, etc.

10. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, it doesn't actually turn the Droid into a Kindle, but it lets you read books bought at the Kindle site.

11. AcBush

AcBush Well-Known Member

The Kindle for Android application is great. Amazon is doing well - now supporting FREE ebook reading apps on Android, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPad, Blackberry, Windows PC's and Mac Computers.

It's awesome because I can read on my work PC, my home pc, my iPhone 3GS (which is being used as an iPod touch since I "quit" AT&T) and now on my HTC EVO. Not to mention my Kindle 2 when I want the best reading experience possible.

I wish I could get my blog on my phone but meh, it's fine. The app does most of what I'd expect it to. Go Amazon!

12. ToddsGirlie

ToddsGirlie New Member

Does anyone know where to get a Kindle app that can be run on the 1.5 OS? I have the Moto Droid from Boost. The Kindle app in Marketplace can only be run on OS 1.6 or better. Any help on this topic is appreciated. Thx! :)

13. AcBush

AcBush Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the Kindle application only supports Android 1.6 and higher.

:(

14. chrisgalaxysus

chrisgalaxysus New Member

I'm dislexic I want an ebook reader that will use Text-To-Speech is there one? I thought as the Kindle itself does the app for android would.

15. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

16. Casshansen

Casshansen New Member

Has anyone had their go black while reading? I've read other books but the other day I was reading and the screen just went black, but I can see the main screen to pick my books but no matter which I pick it goes black. Please help me if you can!