Kindle beater?

1. jago25_98

jago25_98 Well-Known Member

I was going to get a Notion Adam, but then I heard that the screens, while better than a LCD, are nothing like an ebook reader like the Kindle.

I just want something that can read .pdf

I'm a patient guy. Do I search for a Kindle competitor that can do .pdf or should I wait for a phone that has an eink display, seeing as I have an old phone anyway (am also waiting for longer battery life).

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The Kindle Reader Android app can't read PDF, only its own Kindle format and .mobi format. Can the Kindle Reader device read PDF?

Harry
  3. irishjoeyo

irishjoeyo Well-Known Member

Harry2 likes this.
  4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

5. elric999uk

elric999uk Active Member

just a quick comment on PDFs on Kindles as i've had reason to try this recently on mine, the PDFs are optimised for a larger display than the kindles, if you use Calibre to convert them to mobi format they display perfectly :)
    Harry2 likes this.
  6. jago25_98

jago25_98 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to use a kobo and a ipad2. I got them just to try out on the basis I'll never know for sure unless I own it for a bit.

First impressions? PDF is still rubbish on smal screen. Just got to get a bigger screen, only way at the mo.

The iPad safari can't save PDFs! It also has unexpected limitations that try to force you to spend more money. In my case I don't want to root it because I will probably sell it so I've found it terribly limiting. You can't send more than 3 photos in an email, can't change white background to light yellow for easier reading, hard to send something to the kobo. Everything on it is supposed to cost money, you could spend a fortune on software... Not an option if it's not your own machine.

The ports on the side are apt for breaking... Really need a flush port saver extent ion lead.

That said, touch interface is clearly loads better for many situations. And the camera is so quick response you can take a series of photos

Meanwhile I can't tell if the kobo is a 5minute wonder yet. Loads of PDFs don't work and the ones that do you gotta scroll with... Not the best but passable if in a fix. Had trouble getting pubs with pictures to be recognized. All in all it's not somethingt for the older generation coming from real books as it's intended to be, so close but so far - the touch interface is a lot better than I thought and einkorn can update fast but they made some key mistakes with the interface - you c ant page forward and zoom and pan in PDFs for example. As a result it's only really a mature tech for reading novels in ePub. A bit kak.

How might a Adam compare I wonder, or a netbook with hacked pixelqi touch display...

Can't ssh either!