1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle for Android: No Mobipocket - again

Last Updated:

1. krischik

krischik Member This Topic's Starter

So "Kindle for Android" is out. For me this leaves a bitter feeling. To understand this you have to know two things:

1. Amazon and Mobipocket are essentially one company.
    2. Kindle and Mobipocket eBooks use essentially the same file format.

And still "Kindle for Android" won't read encrypted Mobipocket books. This leaves me with 200 books from Mobipocket (subsidiary of Amazon)for which no current reader software exists.

The application might be free but the books cost money. Money on Books which are now worthless. And Amazon did it once, they might do it again. In fact Amazon still does it as Mobipocket has not yet been shut down.

If you are planning to buy books consider well.

Martin

Advertisement
  2. lawizard

lawizard Active Member

I started buying MobiPocket books as soon as they became available from MobiPocket, Fictionwise, Baen Webscriptions, and other places. I, too, am frustrated with the Kindle for the same reasons you are. At least I can read MobiPocket books on my computer. EReader is the same way. The Ereader for Android won't read all of my books in that format. Barnes and Noble owns Fictionwise and EReader

3. Spamtrap19990601

Spamtrap19990601 New Member

Barnes & Noble has a sensible policy. There is an Android app for eReader and my 400+ books I bought to read on our Palm Pilots work with my EVO as well as my wife's Nook. Way to go, Barnes & Noble.

From their actions, it appears that Amazon believes they can lock out their legacy users and somehow convince to buy their books again in Kindle format. I've lost a few Mobipocket books that I cannot read on my Android. For now, we are not buying any e-book or ereader from Amazon until wiser heads prevail.

4. pWndYke

pWndYke Banned

Very nice review 5/5.

5. SlowRain

SlowRain Well-Known Member

I hate Amazon for what they did to Mobipocket. I have no intention of ever buying a Kindle e-book because of it. The only solution is to remove the DRM (it is legal to do in some countries) and convert to another format.