Kindle Vs Nook-No app for Android Powered Nook?General

Last Updated:

1. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wtf is up with that?!
    I just got the Nook for my bday yesterday and its pretty awesome. Already have THAT rooted too haha. Just on principle :D

One of the things that i factored into my decision between that and the kindle is the fact that the Nook is Android powered. Am I wrong in thinking though that if a non-Android powered e-reader (the kindle), has an Android application, then why the hell doesn't the Nook?! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

they will probably come out with one, I have the nook, and I also have the ereader for PC which syncs my library via the web, PC and nook, so eventually they should come out with an android. its all about market share, Iphone is top dog, so build an app for the masses, android was in last only until this last couple quarters so I'm sure they are quickly programming something for the android OS. It isn't cheap to pay a dev to build a solid app, and im sure it takes a year or so of sales to get your money back from development.

If you look at the trend, it is in line with the OS trend, so it should be coming.
    [​IMG]
    http://blog.quantcast.com/quantcast/2010/06/may-mobile-os-share-north-america.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. andrizoid

have you rooted your nook already?

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Careful, let's keep this thread PG-13... :D

5. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

I saw the post on how to root it, but haven't seen any reason to Root it. the Android OS is literally running off the SD card. Half the battle is getting the nook open, then your basically 80% rooted, you pull the card out copy the card, and then root from there and your done. You'll spend more time opening the nook and copying the SD card (for backup) than you will actually "rooting" the OS. But, again... there isn't much to do at this point once your officially rooted. I dont think anyone wants to put custom ROMs on that since its not really built for speed, but for reading. even if you somehow crammed an Eris Rom on that sucker it wouldn't get to the boot animation.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting
    [​IMG]

so far all the apps are in the SUPER alpha phase. So i'll leave it alone until others have burned through their readers since again, I use it for reading and everything else I do on my phone.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Doesn't the nook use epub files? Why not just use Aldiko? I know it isn't the same, but at least you can have the files on your phone.

7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Aren't the ePubs for non-public domain works on the Nook copy protected? Aldiko wouldn't be able to open those, I would think.

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

If they have DRM then it probably wouldn't work. I figured that the nook being Android based it probably wouldn't have DRM though. It's Barnes & Noble after-all, you can just sit and read a whole book while you're there as if it were a public library.

9. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member

Nook now has an android app

10. Hagbard57

Hagbard57 Active Member

The Nook app is on the Market and it works great so far. Synced with my library and reads smooth complete with page turning animations.

grvthang likes this.
  11. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

Coool! Somebody gave me a B&N gift card a while ago and I've been waiting to use it.

12. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

The app is 5.1mb?!? I hope it does my laundry, too...

13. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping that with the nook being easily rooted, there will be some apps ported over to run specifically on the nook (physical controls and touchscreen controls work properly on the nook).

14. andrizoid

its been rooted.

15. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I know. I was saying that since it's been rooted, here's to hoping that developers make some Android apps that will run properly using the unique physical buttons and small touchscreen controls on the Nook.