• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ScorpDX

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2010
Dallas/Fort Worth
I've been using the Kindle for Android app quite a bit and thought about buying the actual full size Kindle.

Anyone got one? I had a few questions and thought I'd make a post here. I'm too lazy to go find a Kindle forum just for one post!

1. Do the books sync that I've already bought on the Kindle for Android app?

2. What internet connection type does the Kindle require to download books?

3. Can I load 3rd party e-books on it and read them? Certain filetype required?

I've been using the Kindle for Android app quite a bit and thought about buying the actual full size Kindle.

Anyone got one? I had a few questions and thought I'd make a post here. I'm too lazy to go find a Kindle forum just for one post!

1. Do the books sync that I've already bought on the Kindle for Android app?

2. What internet connection type does the Kindle require to download books?

3. Can I load 3rd party e-books on it and read them? Certain filetype required?

1. Yes
2. The 3G Kindle connects over AT&T's 3G (no plans or anything required). Wi-Fi connects over... well. WiFi.
3. 3rd party e-books can be iffy because of DRM and such. Calibre is a nifty app that is available on Windows and Linux (not sure about Mac) that will backup, convert, transfer books to and from the Kindle for you

Upvote 0
i have never used kindle
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Calibre is indeed awesome. Converting files will give mixed results. Pure text files, like ebooks, will convert pretty much seamlessly, but more complex things like .pdfs won't look so good after conversion.

The kindle can read .pdfs though, so you're better off not converting them.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with my Kindle. It looks like it's eBooks for me from now on :)

Upvote 0
My wife and I share a Nook eBook reader (Barnes & Noble) and have purchased numerous books for it. I also had books that I purchased from another online site. The Nook For Android app claimed that it would sync to the furthest page read on both devices, but what I found was that it would only sync books purchased from Barnes and Noble. I called Amazon and asked if their books had the same restrictions and was told they did not. I ordered a Kindle, installed the Kindle for Andoid app and converted my Nook books (epub) to Kindle format (azw/mobi). Guess what? None of the books will sync in either direction. I now have to write down the location number of the page I stopped at and enter it in the other device to get it to sync. I think I'll return it and just read on my Droid.

Upvote 0
My wife and I share a Nook eBook reader (Barnes & Noble) and have purchased numerous books for it. I also had books that I purchased from another online site. The Nook For Android app claimed that it would sync to the furthest page read on both devices, but what I found was that it would only sync books purchased from Barnes and Noble. I called Amazon and asked if their books had the same restrictions and was told they did not. I ordered a Kindle, installed the Kindle for Andoid app and converted my Nook books (epub) to Kindle format (azw/mobi). Guess what? None of the books will sync in either direction. I now have to write down the location number of the page I stopped at and enter it in the other device to get it to sync. I think I'll return it and just read on my Droid.

Don't return it just yet!

I had an eBook on my phone that was on location 47 or something. I hit 'menu', 'more' and then 'Sync' and it offered to take me to the furthest page read on any of my devices (7000, in this case).

I know I've seen the same option on the kindle it's self too :)

(Obviously, make sure you have an internet connection when you're reading, otherwise it won't be able to tell the Amazon servers where you left off).

EDIT: I should add, I don't see this working with any of your converted books. But then that's to be expected.

Upvote 0
The two things I do for a living have to do with reading/writing music and massive amounts of text. By the time I'm off work, I can barely focus on anything -- let alone an LCD.

Enter the Kindle. I now use it to do reader reports on people's manuscripts (sending the pdfs or word docs to myself to convert through Amazon or Calibre [sic]), and my eyestrain has lessened a bit.

The Kindle's a great reminder not to stare continuously at back-lit screens. The resolution's also quite pleasant.

Upvote 0
Don't buy it at Best Buy -- Amazon's return policy is far, far better. I know people who went through four Kindle 3s at launch and returned them all without any issues. You won't save anything on shipping because it's free.

The reason to go to Best Buy is to try one out to see if you love it. That was how I learned I needed an eReader -- by trying out a Nook at my local BB.

I check out new laptops while I'm there as well but never buy them because BB is known to swap out parts.

Smartphones at BB are another matter.

Upvote 0
Don't buy it at Best Buy -- Amazon's return policy is far, far better. I know people who went through four Kindle 3s at launch and returned them all without any issues. You won't save anything on shipping because it's free.

Yeah, I had to return my first kindle and they send you the replacement straight away (i.e. before you send the old one back), which I thought was pretty impressive. I had the new one two days after speaking to them.

Upvote 0
I believe calibre can convert most file formats (like ePub/pdf/etc) to kindle compatible ones :)

I'm sure it can, but if I get a Sony reader, I won't have to convert anything as far as I can tell. It's a little more expensive, but I like the Sony readers looks a little better, don't see the need for the full physical qwerty on a reader, not going to be doing much typing, just reading.

Upvote 0
The reason to go to Best Buy is to try one out to see if you love it. That was how I learned I needed an eReader -- by trying out a Nook at my local BB..
Couldn't get over the clunky weird feeling UI on the nook, that touch screen thingy at the bottom is horrid imo.
I'm sure it can, but if I get a Sony reader, I won't have to convert anything as far as I can tell. It's a little more expensive, but I like the Sony readers looks a little better, don't see the need for the full physical qwerty on a reader, not going to be doing much typing, just reading.
I am also leaning towards the sony... full touch screen version, expandable memory, handles lots of different formats... haven't actually seen a kindle in store before so never played with one to compare

Upvote 0
I have a Kindle and just got my Droid. Set up the Kindle app on it and read a few pages of a book Im reading. When I went online with my Kindle, it immediately knew I had read some of the book on another device and asked me if I wanted to sync. This is a very cool, but kind of scary, feature.
It follows you!

It just syncs with the Amazon servers. No tin foil hay necessary ;)

Upvote 0
I just downloaded the Amazon Kindle app today. Downloaded 2 free books (Art of War and The Count of Monte Cristo) and purchased another (The Geography of Time). This app is amazing. I am seriously considering buying a Kindle because I love how it works on my phone and I would love to have one separate from my phone....

Hmm, I may ask for it as a birthday gift...which is coming up in a month (ish)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones