Kindle

1. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Do it!

If you're into reading and into gadgets, you can't go wrong buying an eReader :)
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

Xyro is on point! Bought a kindle for the old lady and it is GREAT!! I wanna steal hers!
  3. NightAngel79

So want to read books that are on kindle on phone with kindle app. Can't find anyway to do this with the books i emailed to kindle... Is it possible?
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I saw somebody mention in another thread a few days ago that the kindle app can read your own files too. I imagine there'll be a kindle folder on your sdcard you can put them in.

Obviously it won't sync your pages and stuff between the two devices.
  5. NightAngel79

Ahh that figures i guess, still loving the device though. I suppose it will do it with the books you actually buy from the kindle store
  6. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member

I've got both the app and a Kindle DX for reading novels as well as textbooks, and I've got to say I love the Kindle. I've had it for over a year now (paid over $400 for it plus a cover), and wouldn't want to use a backlit screen for any reading after reading on the Kindle.

Get one.
  7. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I really like my Kindle, but I see myself selling it after I get an Android tablet
  8. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Well, just got myself my first ebook reader. But went with the B&N Nook over the Sony reader. Why? Because Sony is being evil, and I don't want to give them my money. All that collecting IP addresses of people who visit GeoHots website and watch his videos about jailbreaking the PS3 is going too far. Anyways, I have also heard the full touchscreen on the Sony units makes the e-ink not quite as clear and crisp. I did a bunch of research before buying: Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook (not NookColor, did not want to read off a backlit LCD screen), Kobo by Borders and Sony Reader. Sony was out due to general evilness. Didn't want to have to convert files I got from other places, so the Kindle was out (also didn't see the need for the full keyboard there all the time), so it came down to the Kobo or the Nook. Almost bough the Kobo, but decided to review it a little more, and while the price was right, it had one glaring fault: no bookmark function. Seriously?! Who makes an ebook reader that doesn't do bookmarks? So that left the Nook. Bought it from Amazon ( :p ), picked up a refurb for $109 and a nice JAVOedge MiMo case for it, very happy so far. The little color LCD touchscreen at the bottom works great for navigating around, and when it turn off while you are reading, you can just swipe it to turn the page instead of using the buttons.

Wow, that was a lot wordier than I thought it would be! Here's the breakdown:

Kindle: Nice, but need to convert some files, didn't want full keyboard
    Nook: No converting needed
    Reader: No converting needed, but Sony is being evil, no money for them!
    Kobo: Nice and cheap, but no bookmark function

And for putting up with all that, some legit free ebook libraries:
    Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader
    Google eBookstore
    Books - Baen Books

Also, check your local library, mine has a large selection of ePub books that can be "checked out". You can borrow books from the library in the middle of the night from your sofa without even putting your pants on, LOL! This was another reason I went Nook, it natively supports this function, and I wanted to take advantage of it.
  9. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I like gadgets, but it still makes me sad to see paper books go away. I also like going out to the book store. I know if I get an e-reader, I'll probably love it, and get spoiled and lazy, so I guess I'm holding out and postponing the inevitable as long as I can.
  10. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

I love my Kindle (got it for Christmas). I use it when I'm at home and the Kindle app on my Fascinate when I can't have my full size one.
  11. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Day two for my new kindle. I went with the six inch wifi only and a lighted cover. I can't begin to say just how happy I am. With my poor eyesight and the sad fact that I lack quality space to keep my books.. the kindle has come to my rescue. I haven't used any of the other readers so I'm not one to say kindle is the best e-reader on the market. But, I will say, I'm very happy with the whole e-reader technology. I'm sorry I didn't buy one when they first hit the market.
    Gmash likes this.
  12. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Has anyone purchased the kindle 3 with "special offers"? I was wondering just how offensive the advertisements are for a $25 savings. I need to buy one for the wife and the savings is enticing.
  13. moidawn

moidawn Active Member

I have a special offers Kindle. I love it. The offers disappear when you're reading and I've saved enough using the offers to recoup at least half of the cost of my Kindle in less than 2 months.
  14. Sue7M3

Sue7M3 Well-Known Member

I have a Kindle 2 and love it. I also have a Nook Color and rooted it so I can use the Kindle and Kobo apps on it as well as Overdrive for library books. I love it.

My mother has the original Nook and I hate it. That little color screen at the bottom is terrible. She saw my NC and now she wants one so I will probably get her one for Christmas.
  15. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I would personally hold off on a Kindle for a month or so to see what exactly the Amazon tablet is and what it has to offer first. Depending on the price it may make more sense to buy the Amazon tablet than the Kindle.
  16. LilacBleeds

LilacBleeds Well-Known Member

my grandad is getting me the 3G + Wifi Kindle for my birthday which I will be buying next week with his money because I don't want his best mate to get me it and it's the wrong one, and my work gave me a code to get it cheaper :D
  17. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Go Grampa! :)
  18. LilacBleeds

yeah i know :)
  19. NightAngel79

20. LilacBleeds

will paying for it next week :)
  21. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I know this is a tad old, but did anyone jump on the sale for the kindle 3? The 3g version was $85 US at target, only a few more at other stores. Seemed like a good deal to me...
  22. geranimo

geranimo Member

the kindle is all their daddies.
  23. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Does anyone think it's ridiculous that to download 'free' kindle books amazon needs to know your address?
  24. NightAngel79

Don't they also need you credit card?