• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
K, she seems to be set on the Fire, ans she has checked the Amazon for her books and they seem to have many. I will have her try one for a week or so and then she can get a better feel.

If she's set on the Fire, I'd highly suggest taking a strong look at the Nexus 7 (sorry, just love this thing so much). It may have a smaller learning curve, but it's a much more versatile device, for the same price.

Upvote 0
I'll toss this out there. Amazon is supposed to be announcing new Kindles this week (maybe next??) I wouldn't buy anything until that happens.

My .02 is that if you want something that is a strict ereader and nothing else, you cannot beat e-ink. It's better than anything on the market and you can buy some refurbs from Amazon for $50. I was thinking of picking one up myself at that price.

Upvote 0
So now I am confused, so I assume E-Ink is the display, would that be better for her, and the Kindle Touch only has e-ink ?? The reason for the Fire, was she could also use it for other functions, like added apps, notes, music etc...

Maybe the Nexus 7 would be better, this I could get her books from different locations and convert them if need be.

Upvote 0
I imagine it's just a matter of installing the Kindle app from the Play Store.

This is correct. I could be wrong, but I think the one thing that the Fires have over the N7 is your ability to utilize Amazon Prime perks (streaming select movies and shows for free).
And yep, e-ink is just the display. It also really slows down refresh rates. You can look up some videos of Angry Birds on a Nook. It's horrific.

Upvote 0
K, well we went and pick her up a Fire, she will play with it tomorrow, but if it were me I would lean towards the N7. That will be my guess, what she will do down the road, LOL. I will let her decide. She will try this for a few weeks and then we will get the N7 for her to try and she will have to decide. Where is the best place to buy the N7 from the Google store ??

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late response, Don, was at work all day yesterday.
Pros:
It's fast! Faster than my Prime even though it's the same processor, JB has a lot to do with it.
Stock Android is the way to go (in my opinion). Development for it is really picking up, but I'm not a huge flasher now with ICS and JB.
It's really lightweight, portable and nice to hold compared to the Fire which is thicker, heavier, and has rougher edges.

Cons:
Storage, one of everyone's gripes. I got the 8Gb version mainly because I store very little media on my devices and stream virtually everything. Well, Nandroids can run into 2-3Gb each! :eek: Learned that 2-3 backups on the device eat up a huge chunk of space.
Screen size, well, it's 7". Same as the Fire, but if you're looking for 10", you won't get it here.
No 3G. Not really a con for most, and it tethers just fine to my Gnex when I'm out.
No access to Amazon Prime (if you're a member) for free streaming.

That's about all I can think about it so far. I honestly do love this little thing and find myself using my Prime less and less. It's great for lounging around the house or taking it on the go when the laptop is just impractical. Give it a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just for kicks, you may want to checkout the Samsung GTab 2 7". For $250 you get an 8Gb version (but it is expandable via SD Card) and a keyboard dock at Best Buy. You'll probably be waiting a LONG time for a JB update, but for the keyboard and expandable storage, it's a nice option.
Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with 8GB Memory - White - F-GT-P3113ZWYX
Cheers! :)

Reactions: Harry2 and DonB
Upvote 0
I think I mentioned in my first Kindle post, that I got mine on Black Friday, and it was a 'special offer' version. Well, the damnedest thing happened, it never got ads. Well, until Sunday at 1am-ish. Weird right. It's been registered to my amazon account for quite some time, and I'll hop on to the 3g connection (edge for me) from time to time. Well, it's finally downloaded the ads.

Being the smartass that I am, I figured I might be able to find the location of these ads and remove them. Kinda. I removed the file(s) that it creates trying to remove them, only to have a different ad appear. This new ad says "Connect to wireless to download special offers". :rofl:

It won't download them for some reason... I was thinking it'd be kinda cool to load up some MS Paint images I made, (replace the ad images with mine) - but it hasn't happened yet.

Currently looking into kindle jailbreaks (they don't call it rooting over there for some reason...) ;) :p

But still an awesome device. I love my kindle. Would purchase another one if this one was damaged or lost. :D

Upvote 0
I think I mentioned in my first Kindle post, that I got mine on Black Friday, and it was a 'special offer' version. Well, the damnedest thing happened, it never got ads. Well, until Sunday at 1am-ish. Weird right. It's been registered to my amazon account for quite some time, and I'll hop on to the 3g connection (edge for me) from time to time. Well, it's finally downloaded the ads.

Being the smartass that I am, I figured I might be able to find the location of these ads and remove them. Kinda. I removed the file(s) that it creates trying to remove them, only to have a different ad appear. This new ad says "Connect to wireless to download special offers". :rofl:

It won't download them for some reason... I was thinking it'd be kinda cool to load up some MS Paint images I made, (replace the ad images with mine) - but it hasn't happened yet.

Currently looking into kindle jailbreaks (they don't call it rooting over there for some reason...) ;) :p

But still an awesome device. I love my kindle. Would purchase another one if this one was damaged or lost. :D

if its that big a deal, I think you can pay like $20 after the fact and get no ads.

Upvote 0
I ordered the Kindle Paperwhite. I've been bringing my Nexus 7 to work to have something to read over lunch. The thing's battery dies on like day three so I've got to recharge it and take it home where I forget it. So I figured a Paperwhite would be a better e-reader option. I ordered it 2 weeks ago. They said it wouldn't come in until December 24th. However, it's shipping early and I get it Wednesday.

Upvote 0
I ordered the Kindle Paperwhite. I've been bringing my Nexus 7 to work to have something to read over lunch. The thing's battery dies on like day three so I've got to recharge it and take it home where I forget it. So I figured a Paperwhite would be a better e-reader option. I ordered it 2 weeks ago. They said it wouldn't come in until December 24th. However, it's shipping early and I get it Wednesday.

That sounds like a shipping win to me ;)
I haven't read too much into the paperwhite version... but I'm sure it'll be great. I love my kindle.

Upvote 0
How do you brick a Kindle?

Probably tried to unlock it.

I had a 1st gen Kindle Fire, which I waited in line on day 1 to purchase. I ended up giving it away to my mom once I picked up a TF300T on sale a few months later.
I actually recently unlocked my kindle keyboard... it was quite painless. From what I read the current unlocking is pretty much no risk (as long as you don't try to flash the wrong firmware...)

Now my screensavers are some MS Paint masterpieces. ;)

--

But I did look into the paperwhite version, looks really cool. The reviews I read for it were all really positive too!

Upvote 0
I actually recently unlocked my kindle keyboard... it was quite painless. From what I read the current unlocking is pretty much no risk (as long as you don't try to flash the wrong firmware...)

Now my screensavers are some MS Paint masterpieces. ;)

--

But I did look into the paperwhite version, looks really cool. The reviews I read for it were all really positive too!

I unlocked mine in the sense I replaced the screen saver. I think that's all you can do on them as far as mods go, right?

Upvote 0
I unlocked mine in the sense I replaced the screen saver. I think that's all you can do on them as far as mods go, right?
For the most part, that's all I did too.

I know the site I was looking at showed some other things you can do, but nothing else seemed needed to me. I saw some where you'd load custom fonts (okay, I guess that's something), but screen savers is what I did it for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones