• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Anyone else have the issue where upon first installing King's BFS kernels, their phone acts extremely sluggish, laggy, and buggy?

It happened when I first installed King's BFS #1, then it went away after a few restarts, and now with BFS#2, but this time it hasn't really gone away yet.

I'll give it a little time to adjust and a few more restarts, but I'll be going back to #1 if this continues to happen.

Upvote 0
Anyone else have the issue where upon first installing King's BFS kernels, their phone acts extremely sluggish, laggy, and buggy?

It happened when I first installed King's BFS #1, then it went away after a few restarts, and now with BFS#2, but this time it hasn't really gone away yet.

I'll give it a little time to adjust and a few more restarts, but I'll be going back to #1 if this continues to happen.
I did have the same issue at first with #2, #1 worked like a champ until about the 3rd reboot after install (didn't attempt to resolve, went back to CFS #3, then BFS #2 when it came out). I went into SetCPU and had it rescan speeds and did the disable perflock and it went away for me. Haven't had the issue since, nor have I had to disable perflock (don't know if that was even necessary in the first place).

Upvote 0
I am worried these "faster charge" kernels will damage/wear out the battery. Any thoughts on this?

That's why he's only doing incremental changes. It all depends on the battery temp. If he can keep it down to a reasonable level while still offering faster charge speeds your battery will be fine. It's all about finding that level though.

Upvote 0
I am worried these "faster charge" kernels will damage/wear out the battery. Any thoughts on this?
While it is true that charging the battery slower is better for the battery, I've not noticed such a vast improvement in charging time to concern me. As long as the phone is supplying too much voltage and current to the battery during charging, it should be fine.

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I don't care about overclocking my phone but I want better battery life, Hydra, CFS or BFS should I use?

Thanks.
I'm using BFS #2 and is currently working well for me in combination with SetCPU where I clock my CPU way down when the screen is off. I've also gone back to stock speed for everyday usage and only now bump up the clock when I know I'll need the extra boost. It appears to be slightly phone dependent (but could be usage patterns too) as to the performance/benefits each kernel gives. All three supposedly lower the voltage to the CPU at lower speeds, so theoretically, you should see improvement from any. The best advice I can give is to try them out and see which one works best for you. It is fairly easy to flash a new kernel and doesn't require a wipe - nandroids are recommended, but again aren't necessary.

Upvote 0
I have had this on since Monday, and while battery seems to still be OK, the charging is not faster by any means. It took me 4 hours to charge my phone yesterday from 29%
It could be placebo effect for me, or the fact that I have started limiting my max speed when the screen is off (I rarely charge the phone with it off). I have noticed the the phone seems to charge faster when connected to the computer's USB port.

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I don't care about overclocking my phone but I want better battery life, Hydra, CFS or BFS should I use?

Thanks.

if you dont care about overclocking i would sugest to you to go download hydra ss.uv 0.5 (super stock undervolt) i ran music for 8 hours and did 2 hours of web surffing with it and i still had 32% life after the 8 hours.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Thanks.

The nice thing about the King kernels is that they play nice with SetCPU so you can set profiles to limit processor speeds when the screen is off and you aren't using it. I have mine set to 422 max when the screen is off and I was able to stream music with Rdio and use Google Nav without a problem.

It's probably going to be phone dependent and you'll have to try a couple before you find one that you really like.

Upvote 0
Been using this BFS #2 for almost a day now.

I like it. Best kernel I've used so far.

Overall better battery life compared to Hydra undervolt stock speed, King kernel CFS #3, and King Kernel BFS #1.

I do notice it being a little laggy, but not enough to be annoying.

Sometimes the battery level will drop a few percentage points quickly, and then it just sits at that point for a long time.

The charge rate is not noticeably faster, if at all.

I'm running Skyraider 2.5.2 Vanilla at the time.

Upvote 0
well, i installed and immediately did a wipe of battery stats, so I'm now charging so I'll see how it works, but when I flashed it and had to kill my battery, i had it streaming pandora all night while i slept (silently) and it didnt die till about 3:30 this afternoon, so that seems really nice to me!

Upvote 0
I did have the same issue at first with #2, #1 worked like a champ until about the 3rd reboot after install (didn't attempt to resolve, went back to CFS #3, then BFS #2 when it came out). I went into SetCPU and had it rescan speeds and did the disable perflock and it went away for me. Haven't had the issue since, nor have I had to disable perflock (don't know if that was even necessary in the first place).

Yeah, took a few extra reboots, but it's running smooth like butter...that is if that butter ran on a now faster charging and longer lasting battery. :)

Upvote 0
With 2.1, it was well known that you can charge up your phone more if you allow it to complete charging while the phone is off vs if you just leave it on.

Has anyone tested 2.2 to see if it is fixed? Also, I installed BFS #2, not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, I am a little confused about the king kernels, there are so many different numbers and I find it a little difficult to tell the difference. Can someone help explain the differences? I just installed the latest one.

Upvote 0
BFS 2 appears to be polarizing. People either love it, or go back to 1. I have had zero issues with BFS 1 and happy with the performance and battery economy. I see no point in updating, since I would expect (at best) nominal improvement.

BTW, I do not have the charging problems others appear to have and did not with 2.1, either. I DO have suck butt call quality though- had that with 2.1 as well :(

Upvote 0
Wanted to update because my battery is still going strong.

Its been 13+ hours since my phone has been off the charger and there's still battery left. Thats with heavy usage. I didn't even charge it all the way. I even played bejeweled blitz on the facebook page for an hour.

I know everybody has been getting different results. I'm just glad its working well for me after trying a few different kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones