kingo

1. eclipsed039

eclipsed039 Well-Known Member

What's everyone's opinion on kingo?

Advertisement
    :
  2. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Worked well for me. I've seen some reports that it may take multiple tries for success, and my first attempt failed, but it worked on the second try.
  3. ryancmatchett

ryancmatchett VIP Member VIP Member

Didn't work for me first or second try on mj7. Will try again tomorrow, but I understand they are working on an update so who knows.
    I understand the hesitation by mods on other sites and want to know I am being safe.
    A big thanks to vzw tho...and the rep that took the update for me. Lol
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

5. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

I used it before all the 'questionable' info came about. Then I went in and flashed the updated SU app. From what I read the Kingo developers say the info they were gathering was for statistical reasons. I don't regret using it and I would probably do it again, I have the ability to flash ROMs now and that was the goal. I did go back and flash the updated SU app to ensure I was using the proper 'trusted' one.
  6. thegreen

Question for you- I had intended to flash SU in SS as recommended, but shortly after rooting I got a notification from the play store to update various apps. SU was on the list, so I just let it update figuring that it would replace the Kingo version. Do you think that I'm good with that? Or is there something special about the whole 'flash in SS' method that I'm not aware of? The SU app on my phone shows that it is Chainfire's latest v1.69.
    Thanks.
  7. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

I'm just guessing, but I believe it was made flashable since there wasn't an update and I don't believe you can remove SU and then add it back in without messing up something. That's the only thing I can figure at least. I'd say you're good now that you have the Chainfire version back on your device.
  8. ryancmatchett

Update on mine...3rd time was the charm. Rooted, with Kingo and then Safestrap and now its like a new toy all over again!
  9. Digital Controller

Seems that process is just trial and error. At least you got it to work after the 3rd attempt.
  10. ryancmatchett

For some reason I found a thread on another forum that said kingo required a usb2 plug..and it worked. Can't say if it was the plug or the 3rd try tho...but true trial and error.
    I am happy with mine and getting to set it all up again. Like I am a new flasher...lol
  11. eclipsed039

What kingo did you use, Note 3 9006?
  12. Digital Controller

Hmm, that is strange considering typically devices on PC's are 2.0 on the front, I know some new cases have the 3.0's on the front side.

I know I always uninstall my 3.0's since they have issues with 2.0 devices :p

[TOOL] How to GAIN ROOT on SM-N900V while running MJ7
  13. ryancmatchett

One of my 3.0s was typically used for the external drive.. I tried the note 3 on one of them and was not happy with the charge.. But data transfer was unreal! However, using wifi, kies and just simple networking to transfer files, and plugging the phone into the wall wort..
    Somewhat confused by the USB 2.0 directions.. Must be something about the data transfer and hook for kingo.
    Hope it's working for others.
  14. eclipsed039

I Got the drivers to download but I couldn't get my phone to connect there after. It stayed in connecting limbo with both 2.0 and 3.0 cables. Any Ideas?
  15. Digital Controller

Have you made sure that you are connecting the 2.0 usb into a 2.0 port on your computer, PC's get mad at that ;)
  16. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Dang it! The OTA broke my root: no need to wipe the phone and re-root until after the KitKat OTA because it will likely break root too :(
  17. ryancmatchett

Unfortunately a common comment. Sorry Chief. Good luck.
  18. Digital Controller

I should of warned you Chief, but I had no idea you planned on doing the OTA. :(
  19. The_Chief

Neither did I! It snuck in a 2:30 AM when the light of my phone on the nightstand woke me up. Had I any wherewithal at that time of the morning I would have rejected it. Methinks they shot it out at that time on purpose.
  20. thegreen

So what FW version are you on after the OTA?
    Can't you just reroot using Kingo?

True that the KitKat update will probably kill root again, but you probably have plenty of time until then... after Samsung updates it, Verizon's gonna take an eon and a half to do their stuff.
  21. The_Chief

The Build Number is JSS15J if that's what you're talking about.

I'm actually mulling going full out, but I will NOT be the guinea pig on that one. Hence my new post in ATR. I want to know what all options I have at this point.
  22. thegreen

That's it? No baseband added to the end of it? Mine ends in MJ7, for instance...
  23. The_Chief

Yeah, I gave you the short version. Here it is:

N900VVRUBMJ7

Looks like I'll be backing up what I can to the PC and re-rooting this thing, installing a custom ROM and going all out. Android 4.4 pretty much promises to end root for us, and I want it! :D
  24. thegreen

I just moved stuff to the ext sd, then removed it to use kingo. Good luck!

I have faith that the dev community will crack 4.4, they always do!
  25. thegreen

Also, as far as being able to check out KitKat, I'm considering trying one of the custom roms available for the Gnex. Mine's been sitting on the desk feeling lonely lately, so I figure it won't hurt to use it for some experimenting.