• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kit Kat update question

Nightbreed

Mar 30, 2010
Hi, sorry this has probably been asked but a search is pulling up loads of things...
If I do the of a update will it simply slip into place or do I need to do a full factory reset?
Are there many problems associated with simply downloading/installing it over the top of what's already there?
Cheers.

Hi, sorry this has probably been asked but a search is pulling up loads of things...
If I do the of a update will it simply slip into place or do I need to do a full factory reset?
Are there many problems associated with simply downloading/installing it over the top of what's already there?
Cheers.

There have been remarkably few problems worldwide with the KitKat update when compared to the Jelly Bean 4.3 update, as explained here...

KitKat 4.4.2 release... fact and fiction

There are 3 ways of approaching an update...

1. Connect to the Samsung Kies, PC suite, (not all operators allow this), and install the update or download and install OTA over a strong Wi-Fi connection or via your data connection, (not recommended), and hope for the best.

2. Back everything up first using Kies or Helium and then update. This allows you to use option #3 in case there are any problems.

3. The Full Monty or Vanilla Install... Back everything up. Wipe internal and external, (SD card), in Settings and then Factory Data Reset and update your firmware and then sign into your gmail account and automatically re-download your Contacts, Calenders, apps, etc; and re-do your settings as shown in post #2 of Update Problems - Dummies Guide.

Personally, I would recommend #2.

Reactions: Nightbreed
Upvote 0
I was just upgraded to KK today on AT&T. I was really holding out on the update because of not being able to move apps to SD card. Well, the download went very well. My phone kept all the apps that I had moved to SD card and they work. (I haven't tried everyone of them, just a few.) The only problem I had was a battery drain issues right after. I did a restart and that seemed to fix the problem. I really like the update, even though its not as big of a jump like GB to JB was.

Upvote 0
Cheers.

Depends on your carrier, phone model, apps on the phone, and speed of down loading the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones