Kit Kat UpgradeGeneral

1. scrubby

scrubby Well-Known Member

After finally figuring out why I couldn't update my Moto G, I did the Kit Kat upgrade. Went off without a hitch. Problem is, I don't really like some of the changes in Kit Kat and would like to go back to Jelly Bean 4.3. Is this a hassle to do or should I call Motorola and see if they will do it? I'm sure they will charge me.

Advertisement
  2. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

If I recall from reading the faq about the update, it says there's no going backwards. I don't know for sure though. Maybe you can follow the directions on Motorola's website and flash the older firmware.
  3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Generally speaking, it requires being rooted to flash an older firmware.
    What are the changes you don't like? Sometimes there are apps or themes that can alleviate those issues.
  4. scrubby

I despise and refuse to live with the color change of the status bar icons from blue to white/gray, the settings icon is lame and needs to be changed back to the Jelly Bean icon. When I open the dialer, I can't figure out how to clear call history and I like to Jelly Bean dialer much better. So generally speaking, I hate Kit Kat. I contacted Motorola and they said I was SOL. Guess I have to Ebay it and get a new one and NEVER update it.
    DirtyDee likes this.
  5. MrGlowy

MrGlowy Well-Known Member

Or you could wait for a custom rom and flash it.
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

The color change is refreshing for me since I've been living with it like that for a few years.
    You can try a third party dialer app from the Play Store.
    Since I don't use my Moto G as a phone, I can't say for sure, but with KK on G2, in the dialer you can hit settings and clear the call history.
  7. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Well-Known Member Contributor

Took me forever to get used to this white and gray but I did, like the guys here said there is a few ways I for one recommend unlocking your bootloader flashing a recovery and going probam then installing a theme don't like white but love green go for it..
  8. lanceg

lanceg Well-Known Member

I believe CM11 has the blue icons, you could flash it an check. Once rooted you should be able to customize the status bar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jy.iconchanger.ad&hl=en

Use whatever settings icon you want! :)

Get a new dialer, I think the KK dialer sucks but there are plenty of dialer replacements in the app store. I used exDialer myself. And I change the icon using that icon changer so my home screen looks the same.

You could do that but before you do I would try rooting and flashing a custom ROM. You should be able to get it looking just how you like.
    scrubby likes this.
  9. scrubby

Thanx! A lot of good info there!
  10. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

Yes I remember reading that you can't go back. Honesty I haven't noticed many changes. Still use it the same tho. I did the upgrade while not connected to my charger and it consumed 40% of my battery.