• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just read the changes. I will NOT be going to Kit Kat.
1. No access to battery stats for apps.
2. Severe restrictions on ext sd cards. Looks like they're determined to start forcing us to use the cloud instead of our own storage media.

It would appear that KitKat varies enormously between different models of what is generically called the same phone. The Samsung Galaxy S4 (international) GT-i9505 is a very different beast to US models which are all different themselves with differing model numbers :

Verizon Galaxy S4

Upvote 0
Hold on a second. Allowing any app that says "I need ext SD access" free access to every directory is also a BAD BAD idea. No operating system should allow this, EVER. The app dev's need to update the app so it can write to its own sandbox.

Is it a pain? Of course it is. But I'd rather take the hit now, rather than later.

But from what users are experiencing (apps going bye bye, until reboot?) it could have been handled better.

Upvote 0
Hold on a second. Allowing any app that says "I need ext SD access" free access to every directory is also a BAD BAD idea. No operating system should allow this, EVER. The app dev's need to update the app so it can write to its own sandbox.

Is it a pain? Of course it is. But I'd rather take the hit now, rather than later.

But from what users are experiencing (apps going bye bye, until reboot?) it could have been handled better.

If it was so BAD, why do they still allow apps free access to every directory on the internal storage?

Upvote 0
My guess would be because it would break so many things. I'd be willing to bet we'll get there eventually.

I'd think they'd get it all done at once if security was the real concern, which I doubt it was. A lot of people are speculating that the real reason is to drive more folks to use Google and Samsung cloud services. Not sure if that's true, but it certainly makes more sense than this lame excuse, in light of still allowing full internal memory access.

Upvote 0
I'd think they'd get it all done at once if security was the real concern, which I doubt it was. A lot of people are speculating that the real reason is to drive more folks to use Google and Samsung cloud services. Not sure if that's true, but it certainly makes more sense than this lame excuse, in light of still allowing full internal memory access.

But each app can still use the SD card (external). And I was very happy that google music allowed storing music on the the external SD card. That saved my internal storage. I guess time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones