KitKat is rolling out now!Tips

Last Updated:

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

It looks to be ok - 40-50% took ages, but it's flying in now.

Yep, I'm with you on the battery life, this thing wipes the floor with my old One X.

Advertisement
  2. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Well-Known Member

Looks like is now rolling out on EE. I got notification of update downloading at the moment. Can' remember or see what it is at the moment as it is mid-download but I think it ended in .757. Is this the initial release or do we think this might be the next one with bug fixes?
    stuters likes this.
  3. El Presidente

.757 is the bug fix release. :)
    SavageRobot likes this.
  4. SavageRobot

Cheers. Yea looks to be ok at the moment, the only problem I have come across so far is at first it did get VERY hot for about 20mins but then it cooled down to normal and seems ok now. Apart from that the only thing I noticed is snapchat doesn't work, keeps crashing but the actual camera app seems ok. Wasn't there supposed to be a voicemail box type thing too I saw in one of the reviews?
  5. El Presidente

Settings - Call settings - Answering Machine, I've not messed about with it though.

Mine was a wee bit hot too, but it seems to run cooler than before (I can get a few more games of injustice, gods among us before I feel my fingers start to burn :p).

I'm quite pleased with the update so far.
  6. SavageRobot

That's where I thought it would be but it's not there. Weird. Yea, seems pretty good to me apart from the snapchat thing but maybe that is a snapchat thing to fix. But yet this is still first play, not charged and had proper play on it yet. Will let you know how it goes over next few days..
  7. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

I have an unbranded handset and still no update. Weird.Usually it is the unbranded ones who get updated first...
  8. marc1977

marc1977 Well-Known Member

I think that use to be the case, but now it seems to be networks first :(

One thing though, once the update is released, it's down to the networks to decide when they roll it out as they need to test that it'll all work ok on their specific network.
  9. SavageRobot

Well I have had it a couple of days and the update does seem to have fixed the lag I got when going back to home screen and the battery seems like it may have improved slightly but there is definitely a bug with the camera. Tried taking some pictures last night and the camera seems to take a long time to load up after selecting it or just crashes. I think I read somewhere that some people did have problems with camera in the first release update but perhaps this bug hasn't been fixed and will be in the next update.
  10. El Presidente

I've the same issue with the camera and hoped the. 757 update would fix :(

I've found clearing the camera data and cache sorts it for a bit and when using a 3rd Party camera app, it doesn't happen as often.
  11. SavageRobot

Clearing data and cache doesn't help me. I'm really quite aggravated at this update, I use the camera quite a lot and it has rendered it less than useless. Can I downgrade easy enough not being rooted? Any suggestions what other camera app might help? Do different apps take different quality pics? I can't imagine this will help though as I say Snapchat doesn't work either and it looks like this is due to the issues with the camera but I will give it a go and see.
  12. El Presidente

13. liverpoolfan

liverpoolfan Well-Known Member

Just got the 14.3.A.0.757 update on Three Ireland network (branded handset).

Early days but no issues currently to report, I guess the next few days will show any problems. Played around with the Camera app, no issues to report...so far!
    El Presidente likes this.
  14. El Presidente

My only gripe so far is that it appears to kill apps quite aggressively.

I've 2 apps, appsi and slidelock that I have to keep restarting as they're being shut down all the time.
    liverpoolfan likes this.
  15. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Well, this is strange....
    I've just completed the update and tried the camera.
    Problem being of simply will not work in Portrait Mode.
    All menus remain in Landscape regardless of orientation and taking shots always makes them wrong in again the orientation.
    Anyone else had this problem?
  16. marc1977

marc1977 Well-Known Member

Did the update via PC the other day, so far all is working well and the battery seems just as good, if not better.

Stupidly though, I managed to erase all the data off the phone at the same time...oh well.
  17. stuters

stuters Well-Known Member

got the 757 update yesterday will see if it cures the earpiece thing
  18. El Presidente

Nope, but they have definitely borked the camera.

If I take a video, it takes ages for the white balance to correct itself so most videos end up with a blue hue at the start for at least 10 seconds. :(
  19. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

Mine seems to be fine. No issues at all...
  20. alanbingham27

alanbingham27 Well-Known Member

I got my 4.4 update on Wednesday. Really like the new status bar. I haven't had any problems with phone ringing through loudspeaker but there DEFINITELY is an issue with the camera. When I touch my camera icon there is a lag of maybe 5 seconds where it opens the camera app to another lag of a few seconds before the camera actually kicks in. Saturday past there it went through a phase of not taking any photos and just force closing. Think I'll download the Google camera app and hope this works,until Sony put an update out to sort this.
  21. alanbingham27

alanbingham27 Well-Known Member

By the way. Honestly, is it really mandatory to do a factory reset after a big update like 4.4? I haven't done one, yet.
  22. BigBrisy

BigBrisy Active Member

I'm with EE and finally got my update last week, so far i've had no issues at all as described on here, do the network carriers make their own tweaks to the update prior to releasing it?
  23. El Presidente

Aye, it's generally only adding their own apps and baseband/radio tweaks though, the core software will remain the same.

No, but it's recommended (I'll link to a post explaining why when I get in from work). If you're not having any problems, you can probably leave it tbh.
  24. stuters

stuters Well-Known Member

four days and no problems.. earpiece thing cured... however it now seems i cant change/add photos on my contacts not sure if its a kit kat bug or just my phone going wiggy...
    did have some lag on the camera however cleared the cache and rebooted the phone and its not as bad.
  25. El Presidente

Different phone and update, but the principle remains the same: http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/666917-jb-update-issues-factory-resets-please-read.html