• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help KitKat update

The Bastards.... Did Steve Job's get resurrected as a Google exec? Looks like that is the direction they are headed in.

Yeah, they're changing Android to become another walled garden, blocking third-party battery monitoring apps is just the first phase in their Evil Plan.

At any rate, what actually happened is that Google changed the properties for the ACCESS_BATTERY_STATS permission to restrict it to system and/or Google-signed apps. I'm sure this is somehow a security fix, but I can't find any details on why the change was made.

There's an open thread on the Android issue tracker with lots of users and developers essentially petitioning for Google to revert the commit that changed this, so feel free to go star up that issue if you'd like.

Upvote 0
Blocked app access to battery stats?

Very odd. The app I use still works perfectly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.smalltech.battery.free

I don't know if everything still works but all the bits I use do, I haven't noticed any difference since I updated. And my Nexus 4 isn't currently rooted in 4.4 but was in 4.3.

That one doesn't appear to access detailed OS-level battery stats (specifically wakelock information), so it wouldn't be having trouble with 4.4 anyway.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones