• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Klingo & Vroot... bad?

Kingo sends data back to their server - so that they can grab the right exploit for your particular model phone. Some people thought they were stealing data from your phone. Thousands of people have used it with no problem. (The only problem is that they've given up on Kit Kat because it's too locked down.) Oh, it installs a Chinese app of some kind on your phone, but it's easy enough to spot (it's the one with the name in Chinese ideographs) and once you uninstall it, you;d never know it had been there.

I've never used VRoot, but I've heard about the same thing with them - works well, doesn't do much more than root the phone (whixh a LOT of one-click-rootprograms do) and it works.

Of course, if you do it manually, you have a better idea of what's happening. Read ADB manually root almost any Android device

Upvote 0
Okay, what just happened. I ran it on my PC with the droid hooked and usb debugging on, did everything I was asked. Droid asked me to grant superuser access so I did. All this took about twenty minutes, then the droid rebooted all by itself.

I expected to see vast horizons of opportunity arise, but I saw the same dopey phone. I checked for new (chinese) apps, saw nothing. I went to stngs> apps>all>wallpaper, thinking I could finally delete that crap, option stilled grayed out. I installed Root Checker and it said 'Success!'

Now I'm going to run Klingo for the fifth time, which still acts like it's installing something every time. Then, after the fifteenth time, I've tried that, off to bed.

Upvote 0
Ps i know nothing about kingo, has it installed a custom recovery?

Not only do I know nothing about Kingo, I know nothing about rooting. I installed Superuser, then SuperSU, thinking they were appropriate places to start something. The latter uninstalled the former to avoid a conflict, but both acted like I was in the club, whatever that is.

One thing I still haven't seen at Klingo is a Remove Root button, which they show on the site. It also, like I said, lets me install it over and over,

So now that I'm supposedly rooted, how do I, say, move Goole+ to the SD or just get of of it? All those options are still gray.

Upvote 0
To uninstall g+ the hard way (which is the best way because you'll learn something lol) use a root file explorer like ES File Explorer and navigate to the system folder then the APP folder, find the g+ file, delete it and reboot.
Easy way, use an app like System App Remover.
Be aware though that this won't free up any user space for you :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Next thing you want is a custom recovery if there is one for your phone then. Search "clockworkmod recovery [your phone model]"
That let's you backup the whole phone and flash cool things.
Also have a read up on "Xposed Framework" which let's you do lots of cool stuff without flashing anything :thumbup:

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
Just because they're a lot smaller, I replaced Google Play with MoboMarket and Google Maps with GPS Maps. They're both funky, but I don't use either very often so it's worth it to save space.

I've installed and then removed but kept their APK on SD:
GetRoot -- dunno why
Root Checker -- don't need anymore
Root File Manager -- my Total Commander goes root too
System App Safe Remover -- don't need anymore
No Frills CPU Control -- dunno why
Recovery Tools -- don't need unless I ROM, I think
BusyBox -- ditto
Root Toolbox -- ditto

Two Googleys that System App Remover will NOT remove: All Backup and Wallpapers. That's kinda irksome.

Of all these root apps I've tried, I've only kept SuperSU and Titanium Backup installed, and even those can probably go since I do not plan on doing a ROM. So far, I'm content to increase my free RAM from about 30 to 40, so I can finally update some long-ignored apps.

I may be missing the point of rooting, but I'm sure someone here will edumacate me.

Upvote 0
Of all these root apps I've tried, I've only kept SuperSU and Titanium Backup installed, and even those can probably go since I do not plan on doing a ROM. So far, I'm content to increase my free RAM from about 30 to 40, so I can finally update some long-ignored apps.

I may be missing the point of rooting, but I'm sure someone here will edumacate me.

Not necessarily missing the point by wanting to stay stock. I've been rooted, stock for most of the duration of my LG G2's life. As Funky mentioned earlier, Xposed can do some cool things without a recovery but...and this is a big but...be careful making system modifications of any kind without a custom recovery. That includes Xposed and deleting system apps.

With root and a custom recovery, you can make a nandroid backup and if you ever do something that jacks the system, you can restore a previous configuration much like a Windows restore point. Without that, if your phone becomes unusable do to a boot loop or other system crash type issue, you're looking at a more difficult path of travel to get a working phone again. It gets harder with phones that don't have a bunch of development if that happens to pertain to you.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
And now, since I'm not going yeeha and can't get rid of Back All anyway, I've decided to also put Titantium in the SD graveyard, available any time.

Any opinions on something better than MoboMarket? I like it but it doesn't seem to stay current with some apps.

Google Play or Amazon. Amazon should work, Google Play you've got to root the device, and be prepared for a bit of hackery on a Chinese verson of Android, if possible.

MoboMarket is one of a plethora of Chinese app stores that's sprung up, during Google's absence from anything to do with Android in China. Many of the apps and games they offer are being distributed without the copyright holder's permission. They might have been tampered with and could contain malware, or at least use unsavoury advertising practises, popups, browser hijacking, notification ads, home-screen ads, etc. which is quite frequent.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
I never did find a link for Google Play that even worked, so I'm learning to live with Mobo -- at least it really does have an Ignore button. Couldn't get my old Play APKs to work either. Tried updating other things I've been ignoring and ran out of memory again, just like the good old days. Part of the problem, I admit, is that I'm cramming too much into this feeble device.

I'm tempted to try Kingo's Remove Root button at this point...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones