• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Knock on

I was going to try not rooting the N5. I rooted both G2s I owned but that just leads to more and more tweaking to the point its no longer fun. I just want to set it up and use it.
I don't understand. Rooting doesn't lead to anything. Whether you keep customising it is a different thing. You have a choice in doing what you want, so there's really no point in "leaving Android" if that is the problem. All you need to do is be happy with a stock device and not mess with it, right?

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I don't understand. Rooting doesn't lead to anything. Whether you keep customising it is a different thing. You have a choice in doing what you want, so there's really no point in "leaving Android" if that is the problem. All you need to do is be happy with a stock device and not mess with it, right?

I understand that you don't understand. Totally.

Upvote 0
Everytime I've left Android it was to get away from all the options and choices. It becomes too much.

A lot of people like and choose Android because it gives options and choices, unlike the competition. But as is evident, some folks don't like options and choices.
The Knock on functionality unfortunately is not stock on the Nexus 5, and so, will require you to exercise the ability to customize your Nexus 5 device. If you choose not to, and still want the knock on functionality, you may want to consider the LG G2 instead.

Upvote 0
Knock on is nice, but I have found something that works even better for me. It is the app "Gravity Screen on/off". It is available from the play store. It uses the level sensor in the phone to detect when you place the phone down, and then puts the phone directly into sleep mode. When you pick the phone up, it turns on by itself. I hardly ever even use the power button any more. Anyway, this works for me because I mostly use my phone at home and keep it face down on a table. Gravity Screen doesn't seem to work so well when you are carrying the phone around, although adjusting some of the settings might help with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones