Know next to nothing about Android.

Last Updated:

1. Happyhappy

Happyhappy Member This Topic's Starter

I bought a 7" touch screen , 800Mhz, Android 1.6. I have a pc running both Windows and Obuntu. I know how to sync. my ipod and itune, but I do not know how to add jpeg/mp4/avi files onto my Android 7" touch screen. Could someone care to teach me? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. incrediblenotinstock

incrediblenotinstock Well-Known Member

you could always just drag the files over

Happyhappy likes this.
  3. Happyhappy

incrediblenotinstock, thank you. I did it, but it does not show up on my 7" touch screen. Any other ways?

4. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Some phones require USB drivers for it to function properly, maybe set your phone to mass storage. That's what I did for my phone, is this a Dell Streak by chance also that you're using?

5. Happyhappy

Thanks for you reply MassacrMan.
    (1) It is not a phone, it is a mini-computer running Android 1.6
    (2) When I use USB cable to connect it to my PC, on the screen it just appear as a USB 2 GB memory storage device, and I can add all sort of files (MP3. MP4, jpeg) onto to it, but on it's 7" touch screen, all these files just don't show up at all.
    (3) I know Ipod needs itune to connect to it in order to sync, and I understand this Ipod stuff. But Android looks like a different system.

6. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member

Question: Why are you running Android 1.6 on it? Has Google come out with a firmware update to 2.0+ for tablets yet?

And it's called a tablet, not a mini PC; saying that will help others understand better what hardware you are talking about :)

Back on topic: Yes, check and see if your computer has the drivers for your tablet setup properly. Has it transferred files properly before? Any files? If yes, then it should be fine. Check the cable. Is the computer recognizing the tablet? If so, that's fine. Check the tablet: does it show it's charging icon when plugged in (top right of screen)? If yes, it properly sees the cable.

If everything passes fine, it's probably on the Android side (FWIK). Look for a place/menu/etc. to where you can say "Turn on USB Mass Storage" or something along those lines. When you turn that on, then your Android will be seen properly for file transfer to/from computer. If you have already done that, make sure you're putting movies in the my_flix folder on /sdcard/

Did that help at all? The Android system thankfully does NOT require special software to run unlike Apple and iTunes!! So don't feel like you need to download anything special other than hardware drivers.

Answer these questions in your next post

Windows Operating System:
    Ubuntu Operating System Version:
    Android Tablet Make & Model:
    Android Tablet Version: 1.6
    Did your tablet come with a software/drivers CD? Yes or No
    Have you ever installed drivers for this Android Tablet? Yes or No
    My level of computer knowledge/skill: Newbie, Beginner, Intermediate, Very Good, or Professional

That will help us diagnose your problem a lot, thanks! And don't worry, the level of skill one is for me so I know how easy to make further instructions; it's not meant to make you look dumb, I promise! :D

7. Happyhappy

Thanks RDKamikaze, thanks for your reply.

Windows Operating System: XP
    Ubuntu Operating System Version:10.04 LTS
    Android Tablet Make & Model: Bought from China, no brand name. RAM:128 MB DDR2 800Mhz, with 600Mhz processor.
    Storage: 2GB, with 2GB SD card.
    Android Tablet Version: 1.6
    Did your tablet come with a software/drivers CD? No
    Have you ever installed drivers for this Android Tablet? No
    My level of computer knowledge/skill: I understand XP more than Ubuntu, like I can reinstall XP with no problem, and can work around XP a bit. But I know very little about Ubuntu.

All said, I have managed to successfully import jpeg into the tablet, and can see the jpeg on the screen. But I have 21 mp4 added onto the "Video " file of the tablet, somehow I just do not know how to activate the mp4. By the way, there is already a avi/mp4 video file, and I can play it, but not the other 21 files.

These are the files of the tablet that appear on my Ubuntu desktop:

Audio
    Video
    com.mp1.livorec
    Ebook
    Lost.DIR

Once I work out how to play the mp4/mp3 files on the tablet, I would be happy. Thanks again.

8. Happyhappy

To answer your first question : Question: Why are you running Android 1.6 on it?

Well, it comes with Android 1.6, though I would very much like to install new Android version, I am yet to learn how to do it. Thanks again.

9. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Read the link in my signature.

Happyhappy likes this.
  10. alancrok

alancrok Member

Very useful information

11. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Why would Google release an update for a no name Chinese product? Android updates are hardware specific.

12. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member

I understand that, but it sounds like the tablet has virtually the same specs as some other name-brand ones I've seen in the past. All-in-all I don't know much about Android Tablets so I will have to research and ask specific question on another thread (to avoid thread jacking).

Happyhappy likes this.
  13. Happyhappy

Hi again. I managed to discover something called "File browser" on the tablet desktop, and now I can watch my mp4. I am trying to learn how to sync WinAmp and mp3. All said, I would like to learn how to reinstall a fresh Android onto the tablet, maybe I should go to another thread?

14. judegrammer

judegrammer New Member

I know Ipod needs itune to connect to it in order to sync, and I understand this Ipod stuff. But Android looks like a different system.