Knowledge is power....

Last Updated:

1. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

READ THIS PLEASE....

Exclusive Q&A: Google's Andy Rubin Talks Android | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A recent interview with Andy Rubin (stole it right off of this site's home page). Want to know the philosophies behind Android, he clears up a lot of questions that fly around this forum every day. Very good article. God I wish more people (carriers) would listen to him. He's such a generous person. He truly just wants us to have this platform and enjoy it for the sake of having a good, usable OS... not so that he can own a bigger mansion than Bill Gates.

Some of the highlights for me were...

Sascha Segan - People have been saying that the freedom of Android has basically meant that the carriers are free to screw the consumers.

Andy Rubin - If I were to release an operating system that I claimed was open and that forced everybody to make [phones] all look the same and all support very narrow features and functionality, the platform wouldn't win. It wouldn't win because the OEMs have a lot of value to bring and the carriers have a lot of value to bring, and they need a vehicle by which to put their interesting differentiating features on these things. Every phone shouldn't look like every other phone. If that was the case there would just be one SKU, right? The whole idea here is just to figure out what consumers want, build phones and tailor them to what consumers want.

Sascha Segan - Back in January, I had this really interesting talk with Erick Tseng about the Nexus One, which was supposed to offer an alternative retail model by which Americans could pick their phone and technology and carrier independently. But that doesn't seem to have panned out.

Andy Rubin - Making unlocked phones available in the U.S. is still a possibility. Whether that's simply acquired only online or through traditional retail channels - that's what got canceled. So we have to decide how to make unlocked phones available in the U.S.

Sascha Segan - What Android features are you personally most proud of?

Andy Rubin - First of all, the strategy is a winning strategy. We're talking about a platform where for the first time you can look at the code, you can inspect the code, you can see how it works. We got all sorts of valuable input from the community around security architecture and things like that.

... lots more of that in the article. Before I read this article I was under the impression that Google created Android, but they didn't. They acquired it. But they share the same 'open' philosophy, so it was a great match.

My respect for the company and the platform increased even more after reading this.

Advertisement
    raqball likes this.
  2. TMack

TMack Well-Known Member

Open Source rocks!

3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You bet. It's so refreshing to hear someone in business actually say these kinds of things. Before it was just hackers and the mod community vs Steve Jobs and their 'closed' system. And all everyone had to say was, "why not give me something that I can play around with like my PC. Well it seems as though someone was listening, and gave us pretty much exactly what we were all crying for.

The only problem is he believes in the 'open source' so completely that he won't restrict anything about it, including what the carriers do with it. I think he really does believe that the carriers will come around sooner or later. But I don't know if I share that same belief as enthusiastically as he does.

Because what do the carriers want to do... they want to sell you a phone, AND premium services, right? Well how does it benefit them to sell unlocked phones? They are already selling Androids as fast as they can stock them on a shelf. If they sell them unlocked, a great number of those will never come back to purchase the premium services they want to sell with them. So as long as they are selling locked devices like hotcakes I don't see what sort of incentive they have in unlocking them.

Enter the Nexus (2?) or whatever they will finally come up with to sell to the general public that will be unlocked. It sounds as though if HTC is falling in line with Motorola, then Samsung will probably tumble soon afterwards, and the Nexus will be the only phone available to us to do whatever we want to with... So our only chance is to make that phone such an outrageous success that the carriers realize that unlocked is what the public wants.

If and only if we can put a formidable dent in the sales of their locked-down devices and truly get behind an unlocked device will they open their eyes. I understand the herd didn't flock to the Nexus 1 quite like perhaps we should have simply because we thought that the X, the Droid 2 and some of these other phones would be cracked easily enough and we'd be able to stick it to them that way. Now that they seem to have won that war (sucks soooo bad) our only option is to show them that an unlocked phone will sell like crazy.

If it doesn't, if we just keep on buying their neutered phones at the rate we have been, then what reason would they ever have to change their ways????

Zilch.

4. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

I say bring on the lte nexus 2, I'll never buy a motorola again...they want to play these games then I play put my money else where. Locking down android like this..bs. Next phone will be the next nexus whatever that is. even if I have to change carriers. Or at the very least an htc phone., I'm really thinking about paying 300+ for a used inc just to play with..there is as of right now nothing more I can do to my x..so sad.

5. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

If you like this you should take a look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFL5tLYyZ_U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRyIfEgvFoQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAD_X8RR8Co
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMP6Nloi5oY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxlAGcw-o0

Outlaw71 likes this.