• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Known bugs vs. This bugs me...

rocky s.

Jun 4, 2010
Hey all...

Now that many of us have had our t-bolts for almost 3 weeks, have used many features, and have followed the forum for any problems, I think it may be useful to try to list any issues where there might be some concensus. What I'm hoping for is a thread that may serve as an area that separates the verified problems only (if any) from ones that may just be more subjective and specific to a given user. I have tried to do a bit of narrowing down myself by mainly looking for postings that share common glitches that haven't been corrected and, more importantly, still happen even after several phone replacements. So far, I've come up with a few.

- Network Related: There does seem to be instability here where many of us are experiencing random switching between 4G, 3G, and 1X. I don't live in a 4G area, but when I traveled to one, Washington, D.C., my phone constantly switched between the above 3 modes the entire time of my several days there in the same spot in the heart of the city. Likewise, I live in a solid 3G area (as locked in by almost a year of using the Inc.) and my t-bolt sometimes loses the 3G identifier and the web use saying no network available. Sometimes I even see the 1X mode showing.

- Text Messaging Issues: A variety of unsteadiness being commented on by many. My issues have included poor reliability with having all my messages sent or received...very hit and miss and notifications are just as undependable. Battery pulls and soft resets have quickly improved the matter for many, but seems not to be a lasting fix. This is the case for me whether using the stock app or go sms. Again, others have commented similarly.

- Sound Quality: Someone did post that there is a known bug with poor sound from video recording. I also note that with you tube videos and other high quality content, it defaults to using rear speaker only, which is not as good with clarity or volume as when both speakers get to be active or just the front.

- Battery: I know, I know... "Into the Maelstrom." No battery issues for me...I've been an HTC user and forum follower, so I had no surpises here and I'm getting bearable battery life. My friend and his wife both bought t-bolts, though, on my recomm., and his wife got the average 8 hours or so and his was dead after 4 hours - both using the same way right out of the box for several days. So, he got his battery switched out and we'll see from there. Point being there are some that are mentioning sharply reduced life that would be suggestive of at least something to take a look at.

-Weird Cities From Weather Widget: Don't think it's a t-bolt thing - maybe more the HTC thing? Both my Inc. and now t-bolt get easily confused and display wrong cities or time of day (i.e. somwhere in China or sunny & nice at 11:00 p.m.). This seems to be an issue of what Verizon tower it's syncing with if not using gps. If I'm in a weak signal area or somewhere very rural, it seems to struggle more and will lock into a further away tower or just give it up and, I'm assuming, just default to where it was born. :) No certainties here, just a theory - but an informed one from my Inc. doing exactly the same thing and the comments of others here. So, maybe an HTC quirk vs. t-bolt bug given that my Moto Droid using friend constantly teases me when he has constant accuracy on his weather widget.

So, there's what I think I've observed about anything resembling anything "in common" in terms of trouble. I know trying to dtermine this has been helpful to me, because if I'm having issues that are more known, then it definitely spares me the added hassle of exchanging my phone or doing endless factory resets and needing to restore all my erased data. Instead, I can just put up with a few annoyances that we early adopters are all validating, enjoy my otherwise very fine phone, and await the software fixes that will be fast arriving. (Please nobody say "coming soon" - bad memories). :)

Those are just a few of the glitches I've seen as coming across as mutual at all. Please share any others you know of or feel free to straighten me out on anything I'm being stupid about.

Thanks you crazy bunch of t-bolters!! ;)

Only two bugs here and other blunders:

1 - audio recording bug in video. Worked nicely at a concert since the sound was very loud so it was reduced to tolerable levels, lol.

2 - Battery. HTC designs them so it can sell an extended battery. I'm convinced. Why make it smaller than the EVO and 3G Droid X?

3 - Where did those 5GB of internal memory go?

4 - Seems like that internal memory doesn't mount either.

5 - Did Verizon just not have any programmers to ensure that its MyVerizon Android app was compatible with its flagship 4G phone or do they only wet themselves when the word "Apple" (tm) is involved?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones