• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Known issues with the Galaxy Nexus

my signal has never been great, but now it has been atrocious lately. I feel like I have more time during the day where i lose signal and can't send a text than be able to use it. This is my 2nd nexus.

I got the phone last december and dont have the insurance. Will verizon replace it bc its still within a year.

my phone is unlocked and rooted. I assume i'd have to undo all this prior.

Upvote 0
my signal has never been great, but now it has been atrocious lately. I feel like I have more time during the day where i lose signal and can't send a text than be able to use it. This is my 2nd nexus.

I got the phone last december and dont have the insurance. Will verizon replace it bc its still within a year.

my phone is unlocked and rooted. I assume i'd have to undo all this prior.

I have a video on my youtube channel, metal571, that shows you how to restore to stock. Just use the latest mysid build on the site with google's factory images instead of my takju build i do in the video. I would restore to stock that way and test for a while to see if it doesn't fix your issue. The latest binaries are supposed to have fixes for radio issues that a lot of people have been complaining about on the verizon gnex afaik. The latest right now is JRO03O.

PM me if you need more help.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM Unlocked - How to Restore to Stock/Flash a Google Factory Image - YouTube

Upvote 0
i posted this in the GSM rooted forum, since it's the only place i found the same issue... but wanted to post here since it's relevant to my phone. please try and reproduce the steps and let me know if it happens to you.

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
Provider: Verizon
Version: 4.1.1
Update: via OTA, not rooted

For this issue, I'll assign a # to the homescreens from left to right, 1,2,3,4,5

To reproduce the issue:
I am on homescreen 4.
I hit the menu button and open a random app.
I close the app by hitting the bottom, center home button.
The homescreen that comes up on screen is #1.
If I swipe to the left, which I shouldn't be able to do, since I am on homescreen #1, it jumps over to homescreen #3 (the middle, default homescreen).
If I swipe to the right, it jumps all the way over and homescreen #5 comes up.

I added the issue to the google dev forum if anyone can reproduce and would like to star it.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38361

thanks

lw

Upvote 0
The only issue I've had with this phone (outside the 3/4"X3/8" streak of light brown across the back of the screen that shows up in darker screens..like someone swiped a poopy finger across it while assembling the thing) is the tough screen sensing. I went through 3 or 4 Rezounds before they gave me this Nexus and the Rezound was very sensitive and accurate with your touch. The Nexus can get frustrating because i have to touch something, in escalating hardness to make something happen, sometimes. It just sits there as i press press press press press and them bam ok it decided i was pressing on something.

Also i have to swipe down several times before it senses that i'm tryin to bring down the drop menu with settings and all that... annoying
!

Upvote 0
The only issue I've had with this phone (outside the 3/4"X3/8" streak of light brown across the back of the screen that shows up in darker screens..like someone swiped a poopy finger across it while assembling the thing) is the tough screen sensing. I went through 3 or 4 Rezounds before they gave me this Nexus and the Rezound was very sensitive and accurate with your touch. The Nexus can get frustrating because i have to touch something, in escalating hardness to make something happen, sometimes. It just sits there as i press press press press press and them bam ok it decided i was pressing on something.

Also i have to swipe down several times before it senses that i'm tryin to bring down the drop menu with settings and all that... annoying
!

This is well documented now at this URL, and i complained about this earlier in this thread, actually. The issue pops up at random, but the most common cause is using the Recent Apps menu on Jelly Bean. Issue 29734 - android - 4.0.4 touchscreen sensitivity irregularity - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting The only known fix for at least it being caused by using Recent Apps is to change the Gamma via a custom kernel, for which you can use the Trickster MOD free app in the Play Store.

Upvote 0
Came off a Samsung Charge which I got in the spring of 2011, The charge was my first smartphone...I held out with an old Nokia candybar phone for 6 years because of its far superior signal strength.

The Charge being my first smartphone, it has to be the baseline which I measure by. The charge had MAJOR issues with data connectivity...I had 3 of them, all of them bad....very slow browser, etc.

Just got the Nexus, as I have heard it is much better data connectivity, not as laggy, and generally wont freeze up like the charge did.....which has all been true so far....

But now for the bad........

Ok, you would think when you go from 2.3.6 to 4.1.1, things would get better, with more features, but I have found the opposite to be true....i keep finding things this phone cant do, or does so miserably that gingerbread CHARGE did just fine.

1)Stock email client much better on CHARGE, can see all three of my accounts on one screen with simple tabs at the top. Email widget actually shows how many new unread emails you have. Gingerbread email client is colored very nicely, white on black for unreads, and gray on gray for read emails...easy to scroll thru, and spot unreads.

The other HUGE problem with the email client (and K9 email for that matter) is that you can not SHRINK the email small enough to fit it on the screen! (I mean COME ON!) this is even worse if it is an HTML email.

2) 4.1.1 dialer inferior on GNexus (no T9, colors suck, no option to send text message to number, no link to contacts) also when you end a call, you dont have the option to immediately text that person (as in the person didnt answer, so I am going to text them)

3) 4.1.1 contacts or "people" list has similar issues, colors suck, harder to read, cant swipe a contact right or left to dial or text...when you open up a contact, the look is OK, (white on black) but it is harder to read, and just plain looks cheap, and is not as functional.

4) Text messaging....again, this app is poorly colored, harder to read, (white is NOT white on this phone) and no options to change the theme, colors, font size, color of incomings, backround colors etc.....when someone texts me a picture, I have to click on a "arrow" which brings me to another screen where the pic is displayed...in the CHARGE, the picture just shows up in the text body, and clicking on it will bring you to a seperate page with a bigger photo...

5) volume is kind of quite

luckily there are a few fixes, but they are not perfect...I have yet to find an email client that I like, and i have tried a ton of them...as for the dialer, and contacts list, exDialer by modoohut is absolutely fantastic, especially with the SGS2 theme....it adds almost all the features the stock dialer and contact list is missing, but unfortunately, this is not a full replacement for the system app...and when requesting contact info from other apps, it often goes to the STOCK contact manager, which is not cool. As for a Text messsanger, I have found that GO SMS PRO is much better...

If anyone has any solutions to these issues, I am all ears....because in reality, I lover the way the UI worked in Gingerbread, I just hated that the phone and OS (or combination of the two) was very laggy, and freeze prone, and wasnt good at multi-tasking.

Upvote 0
I got my phone on the 1st of November, everything was working fine until one day (16th Nov) i plugged in my phone to charge, it went into bootloop. Tried hard reboot but it doesn't help so i went back to the Samsung service centre. Spent 4 hours just to get it 'send in' and got the phone back after 3 working days.

They told me they had changed the motherboard. Unfortunately for me, my batt was totally drained out so i can only switch it on after i went back home and as any normal human being, i started to re-download all the apps that i had and i noticed that my signal dropped every few minutes and this happens for quite a number of time. Until to the point where i can't get any signal i went back again to another Samsung service centre to have it checked. All the service centre in Malaysia does not allow a 'one to one exchange policy' therefore im stuck with this device. I'm getting the device back tomorrow and i hope everything will be fine after this.

Noob.
to root or not to root, that is the question.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones