1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Kocaso M870 memory question

1. Kocaso M870

Kocaso M870 Member

hi,

I just bought this unit and it suppose to have 8gb memory for storage:
    www.kocaso.com/product_M870.html

But when I go to storage it says:

Internal Storage
    Total space: 1.15GB
    Apps:166mb
    Available 0.94gb

Internal Storage (I swear it's exactly the same)
    Total space: 5.13GB
    Apps:900kb
    Available 5.13gb

So I don't know what it means. I think the first may refer to the 1GB but that is not 1.15GB 1024 is 1.02 at best.
    And the other I have no idea.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Hi Kocaso M870, and welcome to AF :)

Generally the specs of a device are the total storage on it, including space used by the system software. So what's available to the user is less than that. Also when quoting device space 1 GB does not mean 1 GB: storage device makers use decimal Gig (10^9), but computers actually use binary Gigs (2^30), which is about 7.4% larger. Therefore a "8GB" device really only has 7.45GB of space, and some of that will be allocated for system software.

So only having 5.13 GB available to the user is not implausible. What I don't understand is why it reports "internal storage" twice, and where the rest of the space is (because there's still about 1.17 GB unaccounted for, and that's way too large for a cache partition).

If you install an app called Quick System Info, what does it say about the device's storage?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Kocaso M870

Kocaso M870 Member

So just starting to play with it today.
    Downloaded app from Play store (yes it came with it)
    QSI says:
    ARMv7 r2
    Memory: T:1GB F:607 Idle 379?!
    System cache T:512MB free 310MB
    Internal storage T:1.15GB F: 0.91GB
    SD card storage : T: 5.13GB F:5.13 GB

Since there is no Sd card in it and it was unopened (even tho from a discount store) can this be rooted? I will download something to check that next.

Update: that stuff was under Basic info, but under "Applications" it says
    Android System 4.0.4 ...... 8.17GB + 0.00B nov 52012 (installation date?)

This picture shows Quick Info with the 4GB SD card in it. http://postimage.org/image/yzbygm5ld/
    and this without it:https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2BSHb9FZkaYRl9kZHB5dUswYlU
  4. Kocaso M870

Kocaso M870 Member

I these forums, by the time you finish with writing it logs you out and you lose what you wrote unless you saved it. I did :)

Well, I must say I don't know what this means. I downloaded Rootchecker and this device is ROOTED.

To bee honest I don't even know how to get to the file system yet ICS.
    I was playing around with Android 2.36 on a Coby 1126. On this I don't even know how to close and app. :( I saw a kill all in the lower right corner, but must be an easier way to close an app! On the coby there is a hard menu button. but I like the keyboard on this.... ok ... this is not a review. :)
  5. Kocaso M870

Kocaso M870 Member

I will update this by showing what happens when you add a 4GB SD card.
    Quick System Info App didn't change : "Android System 4.0.4 ...... 8.17GB + 0.00B"
    None of these changed:
    "Memory: T:1GB F:607 Idle 379?!
    System cache T:512MB free 310MB
    Internal storage T:1.15GB F: ).91GB
    SD card storage : T: 5.13GB F:5.13 GB"

So Quick System Info doesn't see the SD card.

But the unit under setting does. As SD card slot was empty, now 3.80GB This unit calls it EXTSD (external SD?)
    There is another slot called USBHOST1. I guess when I plug in my usb drive it will show up there.
    So it still seems to me that the first "Internal memory" is the ram (1GB) (why more?!)
    The second "Internal memory" is storage, 5.13GB Why is that not 8GB ?!
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Ok, I think I can account for most of the 8GB.

Remember that that really means 7.45GB. All of those items listed by QSI apart from memory (which is the RAM) are part of that. So "sd card", "internal storage" "system storage" and "system cache" add to 7.27GB. Still slightly short of 7.45, but close.

Calling part of the storage "sd card" is just the way this has been set up to appear to the OS - it's fairly common actually. The real sd card is then linked as a subdirectory of the "internal sd", which is why the tablet labels it "ext sd". 3.8GB is the actual capacity of a so-called "4GB" card.

So I think you do have what the spec sheet says, just that it's divided into these different partitions.
  7. Kocaso M870

Kocaso M870 Member

Thanks, I see what you mean. Look at the 2 internal storage like partitions.
    I have to say calling a directory /sdcard when it's not, makes very little sense.
    Has anyone made an app to convert this file system to a windows layout view? Maybe it would make more sense that way.
    At least I don't think they shortchanged me on the storage.