• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Only technically. There have been no active hostilities for decades.

I might consider the North's sinking of a South Korean navy vessel earlier this year actively hostile.

I guess the question is, will this escalate and who will be involved? I wish we could just stay out of it, but with troops on the border, we are going to get caught up again.

It's about time we starting bringing our troops home, cut the defense budget and start protecting the homeland...not take naked photos or grope us to make us FEEL safe.

Upvote 0
The hostilities between North and South Korea ended in an armistice so they've agreed to stop fighting but there have certainly been some tense moments over the years. Someone pointed out the U.S. has troops in South Korea, something like 27,500.

From what I've read about the North's justification for their attack concerned a military exercise that the South conducts annually. For their part, the North has plenty military exercises of their own but singled out this one by the South because it occurred in disputed waters where it's more difficult to indicate a boundary. The U.S. must tread lightly as they and Japan are allies of the South while China backs the North and so far China has not condemned the attack but only said they need to gather more facts.

Upvote 0
admittedly Im not an expert on that particular region, who allies who, who is gonna go to war to support who etc......however....

IMO it makes no difference if the entire world sides with S Korea and decides to attack N Korea...... N Korea has nukes....... and has openly said MANY times that at the first sign of conflict which involves anyone other than S Korea they would immediately use those nukes...... at which point its pretty much a moot point who has more friends or allies...... we are all screwed worldwide

now one could easily say these are empty threats meant to rally support from N Korean citizens...... but as a few people have pointed out in this thread alone...... we arent talking about a sane person here...... and if given the choice of being defeated or firing off those nukes...... what do you think hes going to do?

Upvote 0
admittedly Im not an expert on that particular region, who allies who, who is gonna go to war to support who etc......however....

IMO it makes no difference if the entire world sides with S Korea and decides to attack N Korea...... N Korea has nukes....... and has openly said MANY times that at the first sign of conflict which involves anyone other than S Korea they would immediately use those nukes...... at which point its pretty much a moot point who has more friends or allies...... we are all screwed worldwide

now one could easily say these are empty threats meant to rally support from N Korean citizens...... but as a few people have pointed out in this thread alone...... we arent talking about a sane person here...... and if given the choice of being defeated or firing off those nukes...... what do you think hes going to do?

I reckon Kim Jong Il is sane
But if everyone thought he was - DPR[lol]K would have been invaded by now
No sane leader will nuke another state without a nuclear missile defence shield yolk
If he is thought of as being possibly insane - who will invade?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones