• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Korean Variant - Super S4 - international LTE support

mistermfive

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Coming from a soft dev background, I was reluctant to accept the fact that the S4 Exynos 5 Octa cpu would be faster than the Snapdragon 600. However, preliminary benchmarks have been done and the inevitable may hold true.. the Exynos 5 (8 core) will be a 20% faster than the Snapdragon 600.. and will support most LTE bands as well. My question is, why the hell did they have to do this and create a split market when everyone could just enjoy one phone with the same hardware across the band? Factories for the Exynos 5 really couldn't keep up? reference: Samsung Galaxy S4 Variants Compared Side-by-Side: Korean Galaxy S4 Appears to Be the Fastest
Why are we always getting the crappier model???

Here's some more news:
Korea will be getting the super version with model no. SHV-E300S
From the link i posted above, it's apparent that the Korean variant will be 30% faster than Snapdragon 600 (quad-core model hitting North America and some other parts of the world) clocked in at 1.8GHz with the Exynos 5 (very likely). However, the good news, we may be able to import this phone and take advantage of having the fastest variant in addition to capitalizing on using LTE as it supports most of the world's LTE frequency: Galaxy S4′s Korean variant (SHV-E300S/K) to feature Exynos 5 Octa clocked at 1.8GHz, confirmed by FCC | SamMobile

If the above is true, I believe we can rest assured that we can still get the fastest S4 variant and not lose out on the LTE network. I live in Canada and use Fido.. would really hate to be using the slowest S4 variant when I know the faster one is out there. After all.. these phones are not cheap so why not use the best one? I really disagree with why Samsung had to make multiple variants of their S4 as it's shown that supporting LTE on their Exynos 5 (8cpu) is a non-issue. Creates unrest. Most of you may not care as the Snapdragon 600 should already be very fast but for those who are phone geeks or want to maximize their hard-earned money, then the Korean S4 variant would be the way to go.

If any one has comments or more info on the Korean variant model: SHV-E300S/K, please feel free to comment.
I'm pretty keen on getting this model if after the release of the Korean variant, it's proven to work no problem with Canada's LTE network.

LTE compatibility: List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(In my argument that the SHV-E300S will work in North America, I'm assuming as long as the carrier we are under supports lte bandwidth 3,5,1,7,17 we are good to go. please correct me if I'm wrong).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones