KP Email Configuration For Imap w/YahoomailSupport

Last Updated:

1. hugobarb

hugobarb Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to use the K9 application with Yahoomail on my Droid Incredible. Yahoomail does not work the way I like with the standard HTC email client. It does not save email to sent items when I reply something I really like and when I delete it does not put the items on the server into trash. I have a few questions about the K9 yahoomail setup with PUSH rather than Poll.

1. Does Yahoomail on K9 support PUSH without polling? I want to save battery and avoid polling plus I simply like push better.
    2. If it does support PUSH for incoming what is the full setup and configuration to get this to work. I have tried it and it does not seem to download test email. But if I perform a Poll it does.

I am using imap.mail.yahoo.com 143

I also received an update of K9 today from the market that said it fixed the Imap notification issues.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Advertisement
  2. hugobarb

bump

3. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

I'm have the same question.
    There was an update to K-9 yesterday which fixed the black background when scrolling.
    So I'm giving it another try. But I can't figure out how to configure push email with Yahoo to work. Not sure if I have it setup correctly or if Yahoo is the issue.

Is there a forum to talk about K-9 issues?

I may try another IMAP account I have and see if it does any better.

4. hugobarb

Let me know what you find if you use another Imap. This yahoomail thing drove me nuts last week. I downloaded K9 then uninstalled it just bc. I was disappointed. As I became more comfortable with the phone I downloaded K9 again and have been surprisingly pleased with it and more comfortable. I just wish I could get PUSH to work or have someone confirm if PUSH does not work with K9 and Yahoomail. Honestly, if this works on K9 or they gt it working then the app in my book is worth of a fee and not being free. Especially if they use the revenue to improve the app interface.

Does anyone know of a forum specific to K9 or K9 issues that is active and gets views?

5. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've done a bunch of tests and have info.
    Bottom line, I was able to get it to work with non-Yahoo IMAP accounts, but apparently Yahoo does not support IMAP push email.

I tried with another IMAP account that I have. I am able to get K-9 to work for IMAP push mode with IDLE support. This means that if I send an email to that id, K-9 immediately notifies me and I get mail.

There is a needed configuration change
    In the account, go to the folders view (Menu/Folders). Long press the folder, select settings, assign 'Folder display class' to 1st class.
    By default, K-9 is configured to only check for push mail for 1st class folders, and by default, nothing is a first class folder.

You can configure K-9 to receive Gmail. Gmail does support push IDLE.

Meanwhile for Yahoo, I configured it. Ran a bunch of tests. Never worked. Then eventually I noticed that if I look at 'Folder list' for the Yahoo account, there's a folder named 'K9mail-errors'. Inside are error messages that state,
    'IMAP server is not IDLE capable'. IDLE is needed to get PUSH IMAP to work.

I was then able to google more for this issue. Turns out that Yahoo does NOT support IMAP push mail. They do support IMAP but only on mobile networks. The solution for iPhone appears to be a custom solution. They apparently send a special SMS message to the phone which the mail application then uses to use IMAP to pull the messages back to the phone.

This is described in a Wikipedia article, Push-IMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So, bottom line, K-9 does PUSH email, but Yahoo doesn't support it.

I haven't decided what to do about it. The options seem to be either poll Yahoo or have Yahoo forwarded to an IMAP Push capable email address such as GMail. Yahoo IMAP doesn't work over WiFi, but POP does. I'm debating if its even worth using Yahoo IMAP if it needs to poll anyway.

serpentine009 likes this.
  6. hugobarb

Thank you so much for that review and the information. I am struggling with the decision about Yahoo as well. I love the phone but I am very tied in to my yahoomail account and I prefer the way it handles email. i like the conversation handling that Google does for txt msgs just not email. I have found K9 poll to work ok for me I just wonder how much that direct impacts battery life on the phone. If it is minimal then no big deal but this is not the greatest in terms of battery life.

I think you explanation explains why Yahoomail works so well with Blackberry. Blackberry has there own internal BES server system they maintain to distribute email. All email is routed through their system in Canada. They must constantly poll the Yahoo servers from their servers then push the emails to the phone.

7. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member

This info was very helpful. Thank you. I don't understand why Yahoo does not make their own app like the Gmail app.