• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kyros 7042-Windows-root/cmw recovery

D

Deleted User

Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip

Download Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

I'm trying to make this easier for newbies.
Credit is do to Vampirefo, Steev, Saurik, Fun.

This zip contains a root exploit thanks to Steev, and a script for pushing CWM recovery thanks to Vampirefo.
This is a one click deal! Just extract the folder and choose your .bat file.
root.bat is used to just gain root and should work on other gen3 Kyros.
root_recovery.bat is used specific for the Kyros 7042, and will root the device as well as push CMW.
I've included SuperSU for theme flow reasons.

It is good practice to make a stock backup (Dump) before doing any modification to your Kyros Tablet.
Root maybe required. Credit to Steev.
http://www.*************s.net/forum...-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices-fw_dump2.zip

Update...
If you get the following error

Installing CMW recovery...
/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh[8]: cannot create /dev/block/nandg: Permissi
on denied
done
dd: can't open '/dev/block/nandf': Permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted

try changing these lines in the root_recovery.bat
adb.exe shell sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
to
adb.exe shell su -c "sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh"

@PimpinEZ
Hi,
I used the root_recovery.bat. My tab is not rooted yet. I got the following error.

waiting for kyros..
7 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
3372 kb/s (10305096 bytes in 2.984s)
rooting...
Installing CMW recovery...
/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh[8]: cannot create /dev/block/nandg: Permission denied
done
dd: can't open '/dev/block/nandf': permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted
Finished!
Press any key to continue...

Could you please help me.

Thanks

Upvote 0
This roots but to flash cmw you must enter the last 2 line manually through android term emu on the tablet. for some reason the bat can't get su I'm trying to fix it. Sorry for the late respones guys. So.. run the bat then open it with notepad and manually do the lines on your tablet. Should work! Ima try and fix it asap.

Reactions: amigobuddy
Upvote 0
This roots but to flash cmw you must enter the last 2 line manually through android term emu on the tablet. for some reason the bat can't get su I'm trying to fix it. Sorry for the late respones guys. So.. run the bat then open it with notepad and manually do the lines on your tablet. Should work! Ima try and fix it asap.

Alright..new to the tablet/4.0 world here..how do we get into recovery..and whats next??

Thanks for doing this though..the other site said 64 bit windows wouldnt work..smh :/

Upvote 0
Hi PimpinEZ -

I tried this on my Colby MID7042 running from Win7 x64 and I don't think it worked. I do not see the super user app on the device and when i type "su" in the emu, it gives a me an "unknown" response.

I tried installing BusyBox from 1Mobile and it failed to install stating that it couldn't find necessary files, etc.

It says all 7 files pushed, 0 files skipped. How can I else verify the root or resolve?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I resolved my issue. I had to install adb drivers first. Thanks for all this. This is awesome! I am creating my backup and next I will try to install the gapps. Is there a link to install gapss w/o a custom rom?

Actually folks, i lose my root every time i reboot. Any ideas how to solve?

Happened to me also. Just have to figure out how to run the script correctly with LiveSuite. Once you do that, you should get Gapps+Root+Recovery.

Upvote 0
sk8rgeek, where did you find a stable ROM with all that? I looked at the above attached thread and it looks like some folks feel that the ROM is not stable.

On a side note, after some fiddling I was able to get the root to stick (kinda). It stays but I have to update the SuperU binaries upon every boot (annoying but manageable when I only need it).

I could not get CWM to work correctly. It only recognizes my internal sd, not external sd. In addition to that it only recognizes something like 400 MB free on the internal SD though there is close to 1 GB free. This is resulting in a failed backup every time I try due to space constraints, odd! Have you had any issues with CWM?

Upvote 0
Hi, I realise this is an old thread but I'd like to say thank you. I had to do the root_recovery.bat modification and try a couple of times but I was able to get CWM installed then the Google Aps as well.

For some reason it looses root after boot but you can bring it back by updating the SU binary. It does not really matter as the Play store was the goal with no plans of flashing any ROM's for now. Seems more stable now and it even runs an older version of Kodi.

Thanks again, I almost just made this a clock...

Reactions: ninjasinabag
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones