Lack of microSD Slot - Killer?General

1. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

this has already been asked in the massive thread in this forum.

the onboard memory gets partitioned and there is part of it that doesn't get wiped. I believe that is how it was answered.
    jroc likes this.
  2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Not too worried about it.

Pictures : Google+ auto uploads all of my pics
    Video : (Haven't tried it as I am still on 3G, but once on 4G it shouldn't be an issue) Google+ auto uploads videos
    Music : Google Music

As for the Rom thing, I don't think it will be a big deal. Quick backup of a few things on my PC. I'm not worried about texts and such (and never have been). Contacts and Apps are all stored on Google. Amazon apps are all stored on Amazon.com.
  3. rrhartjr

rrhartjr Well-Known Member

In Google we trust!
  4. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

You always have Youtube for your videos too.
  5. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member

back titanium up to a dropbox account and you can restore from dropbox.
  6. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

I was strongly opposed to the nexus s mostly because it was made by Samsung (i had just dealt with a ton of issues with my girlfriends vibrant). Despite this i was willing to give the nexus s a chance until i was sitting in best buy holding the phone and was told there was no memory card slot. I had just purchased a 32gb micro sd card and was not about to give up that luxury.

Not having an sd card slot just doesnt make sense to me. Yes 32gb is a lot of space, and its better than the 16gb of built in space on the ns, but the convenience of being able to swap cards out is my concern. Im constantly in situations were i can quickly exchange info between friends and coworkers thru sd card swaps. Ive exchanged everything from important documents to a season of a funny show all because we had sd cards that could be swapped out. Im not saying that i wont get the Nexus prime because of this but thats a huge convenience im losing. Especially since i was looking forward to the 64gb that i would have had simply by poping in my 32gb card.
  7. trophynuts

it boggles my mind why you would swap out memory cards with friends to send files such as documents pics and even songs.....why would you not just email them to that person? (the docs and pics , i realize the size limitations would prevent you from emailing seasons of a show)

if you put all of your pics on a webserver...like picasa or even flickr....then you have access to all of your pics. so lets say there is a pic you want that isn't on your SD card but it is on your picasa....just download it.

i know its personal preference but it just seems inefficient to me to swap between multiple sd cards these days when you have so many forms of online storage.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  8. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

No I understand what your saying, ill admit that ive been slow at adopting services like picasa, and that does make sense for pictures. However i have a lot of personal videos from family gatherings and such that im not cozy with loading on a server (some pics as well). I also have some private documents that are constantly being exchanged that im also uncomfortable with uploading. Its just a matter of personal convenience. One of the big reasons that i loved my smart phone was that i stopped having to carry jump drives on me, and im probably stuck in that mind set. I get that there is a lot of cloud based services but one of the things that android is big on is choice, and i dislike losing that option.
  9. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

The microSD slot is an overrated feature.

You can still access the built in SD card via USB cable, so there isn't much of a need for having removable media.
    princesse likes this.
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I will have to look into that..picasa, flickr. I never thought to do that.

But... I have certain pics I dont wanna put online...lol :eek:
  11. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I agree with my man! I have stuff that I just don't trust sitting on some cloud waiting for some clown hacker to break into and blast all over the internet...call me paranoid, but its just something I'd rather have on me, as opposed to on a server or file of some sorts.
  12. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

You can use the phone as a jump drive by using the USB cable.
    princesse likes this.
  13. trophynuts

well the privacy thing is totally understandable i mean ....its a good thing Sony isn't in charge of that....lol

i guess i don't care enough to worry if someone gets my shiz. I'll admit i have a picasa accnt but i don't have it set up like it needs to be. So maybe i should go home today and work on that ......since it is freakin blocked here at my work.

this is just another adaptation of Tech evolving. Think back before we had phones that did have SD slots......
    jroc likes this.
  14. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone is late to the Google Music party.

It's amazing how quickly this happened, but I'm at the point now where copying music to an SD card is just unacceptable and ridiculous to me. Google music is awesome.
  15. Braxos

Braxos Well-Known Member

Hmmm lets say you got a serie to watch on your pnone lets say it is 1st season of V on 720p format and it is 12gb big. And you dont like dont have a Pc or laptop to backup shit. You got your music Cd's convertet to mp3 320 format, aka 1cd 300-500Mb lets say 10cds min 5gb sume 17gb. The 16gb is full so gg. And there is the rest of us outsite US soil. If u dont need SD card then ask them to make it with no removable battery too. Why you snould remove your battery?? You dont need too you can get a car charge photovoltaike charger a bike charger a nuclear plant on your backpack a 4 AA converter a hamster on a wheel, so you can charge it everywhere you want. I dont say everyone is aSd card but put the slot and let me to deside if I want one to use or not. And if you are fun of no Sd go pay from 8to 16 100$ and from 16 to 32 100$ when a sd 32gb does cost 50-70 class 10.

Enought said I guess love to flame no hard feelings :p
  16. trophynuts

if you don't have a pc you probably shouldn't own a smartphone
  17. Braxos

Braxos Well-Known Member

Why ? You can do all thinks from your smartphone. No Pc required.
  18. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I disagree. I have hundreds of albums on my phone because my tastes vary and I never know what I want to listen to. I think more storage is always better. So as larger cards come down in price, I can upgrade. And anyone who won't need the space doesn't need to pay for the extra memory (think that onboard memory is free?).

Consider the space requirements of a phone that takes 1080p video. Combine that with anything else you may have on the card. 32gb feels pretty small in that scenario.

Add the security and disaster recovery of a SD card. If my phone fails, I can remove the card. No card and a non-booting phone equals a data disaster.

SD cards, like removable batteries and LED indicators, are part of the Android experience in my opinion.
    billtvshow, Ynomrah and jroc like this.
  19. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Oh man, not this again. People got all mad about the Nexus S not having a memory card slot and it's probably going to happen again here.

Assuming you are always connected to the internet, you can use Subsonic for music and videos. Of course, this is to watch 'em, not store them.
  20. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

I would venture to say you are a fringe case regarding phone space requirements. It will still take several hours of compressed 1080p video on the cam to full that memory. Exactly how much video or music does the average person need to carry around locally on his/her phone, especially with the cloud technology available nowadays?

I venture the average person will be absolutely and utterly fine with 32 GB. Again, it doesn't sound like your requirements are those of the "average" person ...
  21. They're going the "bump" NFC route for exchanging things between phones, I think.

Embrace it!
  22. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

I don't store anything important on my phone, so as long as the storage is ample, removing is not an issue for me. The only thing it would have is photos I haven't yet transferred.

Everything else is in the cloud.
  23. princesse

princesse Member

Can anybody who is bummed about the Nexus Prime (possibly) not having an SD card slot reply to ZachMob about why they need it when there is USB? I am only asking because I am a noob with smartphones and I am interested in getting the Nexus Prime, but I am wondering what possible inconveniences or drawbacks I might have to put up with, with the lack of an SD card slot...
  24. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member

Are u able to transfer alll your info from your SD card to the G-Nex or any phone for the matter through Bluetooth??? or do u need to use the computer as a middle device for transfer?