Lack of microSD Slot - Killer?General

1. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

Exactly.
  2. Teegunn

That's a big assumption.. Maybe I want to listen to my music on airplane mode while infight? Maybe I don't want to use up my data streaming music I already own. Maybe I ike the instant access to my music without having to wait for a stream or hassle with a stream. Cloud this or that is overated and just another ploy for those who own it to have another leverage point on us. Removeable SD cards are key to the android user experience. If I wanted to lose options I'd just go with apple.
    billtvshow, Twiz, Ynomrah and 2 others like this.
  3. Teegunn

Here's a simple example: I use an asus transformer tablet (with dock) as my laptop replacement. Pretty darn easy and convenient to just pop the SD card from my phone into my asus tab and either transfer or just to view on a bigger screen. I've done it many times and every time people comment on how handy and easy that was to do. Sure, there are other ways to transfer the files to my transformer, but none as easy or quick as what I just exampled. No SD card and rumors of non removable batteries are just a sign that google/android is taking a page out of the apple handbook on how to gimp their customers to have to buy more services from them just to use their damn devices. Plain and simple. If you think this stuff will always be free to do, you are fooling yourself.
    Ynomrah and milkshed27 like this.
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I dont know if I posted this but I thought about this yesterday. Folks who arent on unlimited or have low caps need to think about that.
  5. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Ditto for me. No sdcard slot, no Prime. Already posted in the main thread, but hoping it is the same confusion as the Droid 3. Went for about a week thinking no microsd slot, but the specs meant no microsd CARD. No harm no foul for me, since using 32gb and in a few months, a 64g microsdxc card (when prices go down).

Added: People trying to apply their own standard that nobody needs an sd card slot are wrong. Please do not try to apply your own personal perception of standards on others. If you do not care for the card slot, fine, but should not tread on folks that do value the option.

For me, the Prime is sub-prime without an sd slot, but that is my opinion and not for everyone but just us media hounds :)
    Ynomrah and milkshed27 like this.
  6. rushmore

Not to mention they will not maximize sales without one, since they would inherently constrain the appeal by not having one. Will still sell a bunch, but not as much without it. Case in point, -1 for me.
  7. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Likely a very small percentage loss. The average phone buyer does not research specs or utilize their phone the way we do. They walk in and want the "coolest" new phone to show off to their friends. Yes, people are becoming more tech savvy, but most certainly aren't to the level of the users at AF.
  8. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Rushhhhhhhhh....what's good ol buddy!

Seriously, some of these companies are still rockin with the idea of leaving one thing out...Stupid if u ask me!

Plain and simple, I want to take my 32gig card out of my Bionic that has all my pics and music on it and put it right into the Prime...Doesn't get any easier them that man.
    rushmore likes this.
  9. rushmore

But a loss is a loss. Constraining sales for a very low cost feature is operating with horse blinds on.
  10. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

The reality is this, android all boils down to choice. Most of us on here are tech savy enough to figure ways around not having an sd slot, but we shouldnt have to. I love android and am a die hard supporter but not putting an sd card slot just seems silly. One you remove an option from the consumers two you do risk alienating a segment of possible customers. Lets be realistic some people are stubborn as hell and if a phone is missing what ever little feature, that phone is out as an option.

I remember my first android phone was the mytouch 3g. It was a great phone, except that it was missing one thing the 3.5mm jack for headphones. Htc was still making people use the dam adapters. my next phone the behold 2 had the 3.5mm jack, and as soon as i used it for the first time i said to myself im not getting another phone that doesnt have this. Some features you get by without. I miss having a notification led, but i get by. I would really hate losing my sd card slot, because no matter how much memory you have theres going to be someone saying its not enough.
    jroc and rushmore like this.
  11. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

Where is this "lack of SD card" coming from? I were under the impression that we still don't know what this phone will have. Did I miss something?
  12. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

speculation that it will have no sd slot. none of the prior Nexus devices had them and none of the leaked specs have pointed to the G Nex having one.
    4lph4num3r1c likes this.
  13. rushmore

Yep, that was back when HTC was trying to force a new standard on people with that lame USB audio jack silliness. I was VERY vocal about that in the G1 days. Some Tmonews fanboys probably hate me to this day, since I slammed that and the low a$$ storage space it has. At least it has an micro sd slot (that is about all it had going for it... harsh?).

Added:

I agree with choice! If people do not want to use the sd slot, no problem- leave it empty. Some of us would choose to use it :)
  14. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

Cool,Thanks. I thought I had missed something big.But, if I showed you pics of me OG DROID, you couldn't see the SD card slot either.
  15. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

Removing the SD card is the tech savy way of dealing with transferring files. The proper way you suppose to do it is with the USB cable and mounting the drive.

Android phones aren't really meant to be for constantly exchanging SD cards. The SD Card can contain application data which removing it would hinder the user experience. It is probably why Google doesn't like removable media.

I can understand some people value removable media, but its concerns seem really over blown. If it came with only 8GB of memory it would be a problem, but 32GB is the max size microSD card you can buy.
  16. rushmore

Difference being no internal storage to add to it and the 32gb in this device is taken up also by ICS data allocation, ICS firmware, stock apps, user apps, data and both HC and ICS have a floor of about 1gb that can not be used unless you do not want to install more or update apps. Displacement is the main issue, since as you install apps, you lose the media space that is left.

Net result is a LOT less than 32gb (not to mention 2gb is taken by format parameters).
  17. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

I know Nexus S doesn't have sd slot, but thought Nexus One had it. I think this is Google decision to remove it if NP really comes without it. All other samsung android phones seem to have sd slot. Personally I can deal with it if internal storage is 32Gb.

edit: As rushmore pointed out somewhere, I also hope it just comes with empty sd slot like D3 and that's what they meant by no micro sd.
  18. rushmore

Up until it is official, we CAN at least hope :)
    4lph4num3r1c and trophynuts like this.
  19. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

The apps and ICS are going to be stored in its own partition on the drive separate from the user personal files. Extrapolating data from the Nexus S, it will probably be only 4GB for ICS and apps with 28 GB going to storage.

Net result is 28GB of storage instead of 32.
  20. rushmore

If ICS maintains the same file structure as HC, the internal storage is for apps and media (displacement design like iOS).

32gb - 2gb (format paramaters) -4gb (data space allocation, firmware and stock apps) = 26gb free, minus any future apps and data (3D games in particular). My Droid 3 has 42gb free, not counting the allocations (except app data), since GB is designed in your noted convention.

Added: Plus I can swap out cards and be using the media on the card in less than 30 seconds.
  21. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I use my phone storage for apps and other phone specific files, and all media goes on sd card. Without an SD card, if something happens to the phone (like the trip through the washing machine my Incredible took), the media is gone. with an SD card, it could still be saved. But I am still willing to give this a look, because in reality I hardly use any of my SD card, and could use the cloud to back up once I get LTE next month.
  22. Ynomrah

Ynomrah Well-Known Member

100% agreed.
  23. rushmore

I agree with all points on why the microsd card should be a feature on this and every Android device. You cloud people remember the movie Logan's Run?

They believed in clouds too!!! ;)
    xmr405o likes this.
  24. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. haha

IMO, I really hope this isn't a trend with ICS phones. I was disappointed when the Nexus S didn't have a SD card slot. 32 gb of internal memory might seem like a lot but with the higher megapixel camera, larger app sizes, HD video, higher quality music etc. I would think a person can actually fill that up quicker these days. The use of Cloud service is fine but that should complement an SD card slot not replace it. Especially during the times of tiered data plans.

While I don't think a SD card is a necessity but I also don't think a HD screen on a tiny 4.5 screen is either. But if a phone is gonna have a HD screen, I want to be able to put a HD movie and play it through the SD card so I don't have to use my data (if I'm on a tiered plan) to watch it. That goes for music too.

One other thing, if Nexus phones starts eliminating SD cards on their phones...You'll hear Steve Jobs from his grave...saying "I told you so....b**ches!" haha. jk
  25. princesse

princesse Member

I'm not convinced about the absolute necessity of an SD card slot (for me), but I do agree that cloud storage is sketch. Ever since I found out that photobucket has people roaming around our accounts deleting "offensive photos"...I don't think any other online storage service will be good for private files.
    jroc likes this.