Lack of Physical keyboardGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Shellster218

Shellster218 Member This Topic's Starter

HI I was just wondering, how everyone does without a physical keyboard on the Incredible. I am really interested in this phone but I am hesitant because it only has the virtual keyboard.

I have had the storm and also the lg dare and sold them because I just couldn't get used to not having a physical keyboard.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt that way and got it anyways and how it's working for you. Thanks, Shellster

Advertisement
  2. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I came from the BB world. There was a small learning curve getting away from a physical keyboard....but after a week I realized that I would never buy another phone with one. I'm a SWYPE user though so ymmv.

Shellster218 likes this.
  3. cozzywozzy

cozzywozzy Member

Honestly, I love touch keyboards and I easily acclimated to the Inc's keyboard. If you're not so much for the whole touch keyboard thing you can download the client "swype" where you form words through moving your fingers through words. I would go into the store and use the Incredible they have on display and see how it fits you. Otherwise, the Droid 2 is coming out soon, which has a revamped physical keyboard that might be to your liking!

Shellster218 likes this.
  4. OtisPimpBoot

OtisPimpBoot Member

That was a big hangup for me too as all my previous phones had a physical keyboard, but I went to a Verizon store and tried it. I've now had my Incredible for a month and love it more everyday. Just go to a retailer and try it out yourself.

Shellster218 likes this.
  5. Shellster218

Thanks I appreciate that, I did go in the store but they were getting ready to close so I didn't get to play too long, I have nails and you can't use them bc it has to be your touch, if I could use my nails, no problem. Thanks again for your input.

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I can honestly type much faster on the vertical keyboard of my Incredible then the keyboard on my BBCurve . I have no issue with typing granted it will take you a few days to get use to it. I downloaded Better Keyboard and put the iphone skin on it. I like it much better then stock . I now would have a harder time using a physical keyboard then the touch and I always had Keyboards before had the V , EnV, Voyger and EnV Touch at times of my life. Dont' miss those keyboards at all

7. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

I hate the physical keyboards. They just don't feel right.

8. reflekt2099

reflekt2099 Active Member

i came from a LG ENV3, and have always had a physical keyboard. so i was hesitant to get the incredible. i tried typing on virtual keyboard and i just can't use them. and even after I got the incredible, i STILL can't use the virtual keyboard. it all comes down to swype. and swype seals the deal for me. i still prefer a physical keyboard because i feel like i can type much more accurately and faster with it. but swype makes me forget about how much i hate virtual keyboards.

my friend got the moto droid (which has the option to use the screen as well as the physical keyboard) and regrets getting the droid over the incredible. she says she never even uses the physical keyboard anymore becuase she's always using Swype.

9. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I'll never have a physical keyboard again. Got used to the virtual keyboard with my old LG Vu and this keyboard is even better. Swype makes everything easier and faster too.

10. jonny772

jonny772 Well-Known Member

I had a bb curve and was worried about it until I got Swype, which is very easy to use. I love the Dinc.

11. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Swype, Swype, Swype...im in love!!

Crashumbc likes this.
  12. ChiTownJim

Man maybe I need to try Swype seems like it's a real winner. Where can I find a APK for it since I don't seem to be seing it in the Market ??

13. upther

upther Well-Known Member

It's still in beta. You have to download it from Swypeinc.com.

ChiTownJim likes this.
  14. jayjay1122

Just go to this link and register, they seem to be responding within 24 hours.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

May take a hour or two to get used to it, but I have no idea how I lived without it.

Crashumbc and ChiTownJim like this.
  15. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I was hesitant as well about the virtual keyboard, coming from an LG Voyager and BB. But after having my Inc for awhile now, I'm pretty much used to the virtual keyboard. Go to a store and give it a shot is what I would say.

16. poshpepper

poshpepper Member

I had the same fear about switching to a phone without a physical keyboard, in fact I had considered it a deal-breaker. However I realized that so many more phones were coming out without the physical keyboards (so I thought maybe this meant they were headed out), so I decided to take a chance on the Incredible, and I have to say I was honestly surprised how easily I got accustomed to not having the physical keyboard and how much more I like it.

As a female, I know what you mean about the nails, and my old phone was the older touch screen technology that responded to nails (but this has also been a smooth transition for me, although my nails are not super long). HTH :)

Shellster218 likes this.
  17. ChiTownJim

Super fast they responded in less then 15 seconds lol

18. jayjay1122

LOL!!

Nice!!!

Installed yet???

19. Shellster218

Thanks again to everyone, This has definately helped. I am going to order it right now. I'm not sure how the swype works but when I get my phone I will check it out. Thanks again, Shellster

p.s. my nails are very short but fake

20. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

At least register for swype now even if you can't download it to anything. The beta registration will close soon and those who haven't registered will be out of luck.

21. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I installed Swype, but have yet to use it yet.

In any case, I love the virtual keyboard. To me the physical keyboard makes a phone bulkier.

22. palomosan

palomosan Well-Known Member

You'll love it, I have the Droid and the Dinc and I think I only use the keyboard on the Droid like three times.

23. bubbaken

bubbaken Well-Known Member

Moved from a curve to DInc and I do not miss the keyboard... AND THEN I INSTALLED SWYPE!

I used to turn the DInc sideways (landscape??) and since I installed SWYPE I keep her vertical.

It is unbelievable how great this works, do not hesitate to install it and I can't believe that Google doesn't just build this into the O.S.

Thanks for the link and tips.

24. Shellster218

Well thanks everyone, i just went to verizon and ordered my phone. I won't get it until 7/21 but that's ok.

If I download swype now will I still be able to put it on my phone. According to the site it says they will send it to my email.

Oh Yeah, who has a cover on their screen and what did they get? I want to get mine before I get my phone so I can put it on as soon as I get it. Please let me know. Thanks

25. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

I had the Voyager and EnV Touch before the Incredible, so I was very hesitant to give up that nice qwerty keyboard. However with swype I think I text faster than I did then. The only bad thing is you (or at least I do) have to look at the phone while you type at all times... you can't glance up and still type like you can with a regular keyboard. Not a big deal IMO.

I use a Steinheil Crystal Clear on my phone (they also sell anti-fingerprint and anti-glare) and I love it. They send you two for about $10. No liquid, you just slap it on (more or less). I've always used Zagg before, and just got sick of the hassle in putting it on and waiting for it to dry. The only downside is I notice a little more of a drag when using swype, but it's not a big deal.