Ladies using a Droid...

Last Updated:

1. Snaz

Snaz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What kind of bag are you carrying it in? I'm looking for a small bag(basically a wallet on a cross-body strap) with a zippered pocket on the outside big enough to fit the droid....

Everything I find is either magnetic (not droid friendly) or not a wide enough phone pocket.

Thanks for any tips....

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Is it safe for me to assume from the above statement that you think something being magnetic is not DROID-friendly?

3. Stolz25

Stolz25 Well-Known Member

Cell phones have to be protected from magnets. The vibrate pulse and ringer is basically an electromagnet, which is why if you have one set next to a screen it distorts when it rings.

4. messenger13

So the magnets in the OEM car dock, multimedia dock, and holster are bad for the DROID? :confused: Someone should tell Motorola. :eek:

5. Stolz25

Stolz25 Well-Known Member

I guess what I wrote was a little ambiguous. I mean they have to be internally protected from magnets because they are little electromagnets. Meaning you don't need to worry about it in a handbag.

6. Snaz

Noooo....I just don't like pulling out my phone and it being set to any alternative mode.... There were tons of threads going around the first week about having to get new clip-on cases because the magnetic closure was setting their phone to dock mode. I don't remember them getting too much grief for not choosing to go that way...

This is why I rarely post here. I've had my droid since the day it dropped but the crowd here has no patience for anyone that doesn't think EXACTLY like them.....

Where do you suggest I ask for opinions on a bag that will carry my phone?

7. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I'm not a lady but since my wife is now wanting a droid I clicked.
    The worry about magnets is not because of any harm, magnets only affect CRT dispays since they use electromagnets to aim the beam, they do not affect LCD displays used in devices like phones and do not affect other parts of the phone.
    The issue with magnets in cases for the droid is if they are positioned in the wrong place they can activate one of the dock modes and cause the display to stay on running down the battery.

8. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I have magnets in my case and it stays in 'normal' mode. So long as you don't put it in the case and turn it on you should be ok

9. Snaz

10. Snaz

Yes, thank you....

11. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Thats why I wrote "can activate" the dock instead of "will activate". The magnet has to be in the right place and the phones power management has to be non default as default the phone will still go to sleep with a dock mode activated, it has to have dock and external power to stay on.

12. Snaz

hmmmm....we have REALLY gotten sidetracked

Can't a gal want what she wants? Why do you feel the need to tell me its OK to use a magnet...when I don't want it. Its like telling me I should use a pink case....its works, right? I use the rubber case that Verizon sells....I like how it makes the phone feel more rugged, like the tire flares on my audi allroad.

I am looking for any advice from female owners that may have found a bag with an external zipper closure big enough to fit the droid. I have one now that works but its wearing out...and I'd like to get something before one of the inside pockets gives out....

13. bobo5884

bobo5884 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, or how bout those extra wide silver door moldings! Sorry I had a A6 4.2..love wide fenders...

Get this girl a bag!

14. TXLady

TXLady Well-Known Member

Normally, I just carry it in a pocket inside my regular purse.

However, when I want to minimize, I use a Fossil Mini-Turnlock (http://www.zappos.com/product/7579981/color/616) or a Fossil Small Top Zip (Fossil Small Top Zip > Leather Handbags > Handbags - eBags). Not exactly as you described but neither has a magnet. On the Small Top Zip, I actually carry it in the section that's designed as an organizer (which I don't use as organizer). In the Mini-Turnlock, I put the phone in the main part of the phone and use the other pockets for ID/money.

15. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

I'm using a velcro(yuck) holster for mine for just this reason- every one I tried with a magnetic closure activated either the car or multimedia dock modes:(.

But, I'm a guy so unfortunately I have no recommendations.

It is a shame that what is supposed to be a friendly place to learn and share info becomes a bashing session of disagreement or the perpetual "do a search first". Sometimes I wish I were a Mod..

16. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Seido holster, no case or in a pocket, depending.

17. messenger13

I use a magnetic holster and can't think of a single reason why I wouldn't tap the power button before stowing my DROID away. :confused: And when it's in sleep mode, it doesn't go into either dock modes. Nonissue.

18. Snaz

Thanks!!!!!...the first one may work for me....

19. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

This is a good idea of course so I can't disagree. However, my Droid is always going off with texts(a couple thousand a month), so I use Screen Mode Widget instead of unlocking my phone everytime I pull it out of the holster. Considering I have to use a pattern lock to prevent people from possibly snooping through my phone, this is my only option without going nuts, LOL. With the Stay Awake mode activated, all it takes is a pass by a magnet and it goes into a dock mode-even with the screen off:(. This includes putting it in the holster, unless I'm super careful each time so it doesnt pass by the magnet just the right way-again a major PITA..

Someone needs to write an app to disable the dock modes. Of course I'm willing to bet that root will be required.....

20. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member

Wow...you just don't get it. She's not asking to be proven wrong about magnets. She just wants a freaking recommendation on a case.

21. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

22. Snaz

Thanks....but we got off-topic with all the male posturing....and I was really looking for more of a wallet with a strap, with an extra pocket for the phone....

23. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member

:p
    Snaz, I hope you do find a good bag.

24. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

so something like this?

Amazon.com: iWallet 2-in-1 wallet and phone holster for iPhone, iPod Touch, Motorola Droid, Blackberry, HTC, Android phone. With Carabiner and Belt Loop by Civilian Lab: Electronics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...290388916330&ff4=263602_263622#ht_3064wt_1013
    ^^^^^^^^^although its used u get the idea and could look up a new one

http://www.techiewarehouse.com/product_p/swiss leather wallet-164.htm

25. Snaz