Lag adding shortcut - how long for others?Support

Last Updated:

1. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Press home screen to add a shortcut, choose applications. How long does it take to open the app list? On the first try, mine takes 8 seconds. If I repeat immediately, it's faster, but 8 seconds is ridiculous. I'm using LauncherPro Plus with 5 screens, but I've tried it with less, and only a couple of LP widgets. I'm considering a factory reset, but would like to know if this amount of lag is typical. Don't want to go through the hassle unless it's going to be worth it.

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

takes about 2 seconds at most for me. i am rooted running FABS apex blurless rom.

3. jkmasi

Oh - I guess I should have asked for responses from non-rooted users, but thanks anyway!

4. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Mine works fast with no real lag.

I did do a cache reset and that, in general, sped the DX tremendously. You might give that a try.

I am stock all the way.

Did trash all of the screen apps that I don't use.

Al

5. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

mine takes about 2-3 seconds. It took a lot longer with 2.1. I think the numbers of apps you have can affect load times. Since the OS needs to do a query for all your apps, the more apps you have the longer it will take.

6. jkmasi

I don't have very many apps, and they are the same ones that I have on my Incredible where the response to any selection is instantaneous.

I tried cache reset, and then a full factory reset (button method, no Google backup and restore. Fresh everything - didn't even use AppBrain.)

Makes me think I need to return the X and go back to Inc.... except then I think about call quality. Hmmph.

7. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I never timed it, but it does take mine a while. I have over 100 apps. I just tested it, and it took 13 seconds. I'd be happy with 8.

8. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

Just tried mine and came up with 8 seconds. Not really a problem for me. Like someone said above, its probably just because it has to search your phone to find out the applications you run.

9. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

What's more important to you, call quality or the delay in adding homescreen widgets? I pick call quality. I suggest sticking with the X, assuming you don't have any other major problems.

10. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

It takes 2-3 secs for the widget window to pop-up for me but after that I don't really have much of a problem.

11. melbell

melbell Member

Mine took 4 seconds to open the first screen and then 12 to open the menu after I chose "Applications". And that was after I just added a shortcut a couple minutes ago. Mine doesn't seem to go any faster on subsequent adds than it does when I'm adding for the first time in days.

I am on Android 2.1, Samsung Epic, completely stock. I know this is a droid x forum but I have been searching to find out why this takes so long to add shortcuts and I came across this thread. I really hope this gets fixed if we ever get 2.2.

12. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The system is doing an inventory of your apps when you do this. It really should be cached somewhere but it's not.

If you want a faster way of doing it, instead of long pressing and adding a shortcut, call up your app drawer, longpress your app and drag it where you want the shortcut.