Lag-b-gone! It works...

Last Updated:

1. TKazNC

TKazNC Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    TheCraiggers likes this.
  2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

since you have UD, you could have just gone into settings -> UD settings -> Performance Settings -> Lock home in memory. it does the same thing without having to look up/enter the commands yourself.

having said that, your method DOES work. i used it with BuglessBeast which does not have the option built in and it helped immensely.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

yep, old old old old news... works for some (read that thread and there are others around here), and not others (like me).

4. TKazNC

TKazNC Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, Solid Orange. Trying to figure out what everything does and how it works is a full-time occupation. =:-0 Thanks for your help!

Android, and associated apps, are evolving SO quickly that it seems impossible to get caught up. So many apps and procedures are obsolete as soon as they hit the masses, which makes it even tougher to get up to speed on Android. Just getting a bit frustrated I guess. But thanks for the info and assist, I'll plod along...

T

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Tried this months ago to no avail.

6. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

so true! it seems like every time i get a version of Ultimate Droid set up the way i want, a new one comes out. it's gone from 2.0.0 to 2.3.0 in less than 30 days, lol . if it weren't for the forums, there is no way i could keep up with everything. of course... if it weren't for the forums i wouldn't even know there was anything to keep up with. :p

7. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

Does anyone know if this helps lag or redraw issues if you are not using LaunchPro or ADW? In looking through the post I noticed that several people asked but I never saw a definitive answer.

8. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm one that never had luck with CyanogenMod 6.0 with LauncherPro. Now using CM 6.1 with ADWLauncher. Still using the "Lock Home In Memory" option.

9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

no harm in trying, takes seconds to do it and find out

10. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

Excellent suggestion and I did just that. It does seem to help but it is hard for me to tell since I had always thought the lags were just part of the system and never paid them much attention. I will continue to observe and see where things go. In any case, it does not appear to have caused any harm as others have reported with some ROMs. By the way, I am using the CHARITY - Smoked Glass Theme V.11 and am very pleased with the smooth operation and extended battery life.

If you have read the original post in droidforums.net you will notice many comments as to what this command is doing and how can I verify that it works. For those, I will offer the following:

The command creates a file in the /data directory of your Droid. This file is named local.prop and contains one or more lines of data. You can verify that the file was properly created by using the following commands in the Terminal Emulator:

$su
    #cd /data
    #ls
    (You should now see a list of files in the /data directory including local.prop)
    #cat local.prop
    (You should now see the contents of the local.prop file. Verify line as "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" without quotes)

If the file is not working well for you or was in some way misconfigured, you can detele the file with the following commands in the Terminal Emulator:

$su
    #cd /data
    #ls
    (You should now see a list of files in the /data directory including local.prop)
    #rm local.prop
    #ls
    (You should now see a list of files in the /data directory with no local.prop file)
    #reboot

Can you tell I am almost 60 years old and cut my teeth on DOS? The Linux commands are very similar and it is fun to bring back old memories.

11. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

This worked fine for me with ADW, but LauncherPro still was bugging out all the time. I eventually solved the issue. If you are having redraw issues even after trying this and other tweaks, try installing a lower latency kernel. Slayher's v1.6 kernels were causing my phone to lag big time (took me a while to determine the cause) so I decided to try some kernels I never got around to testing. More specifically, JDLFG's latest kernels. My phone is a new machine after doing that. No more redraws, no more lag when the phone begins to sync, a snappier experience, and better performance at lower frequencies.

For example, I am getting short benchmark scores of 200 running at 750MHz, and gotten as low as 108 at 1266MHz. Run in interactive mode to lower latency even more. Now, this particular kernel might not do the trick for you, but certain kernels seem to he having issues either.in timing, prefetching? Whatever the issue, definately try out other kernels. I never tried JDLFG's until recently because I was turned away by some of the comments regarding the first ones he ever built. I think his latest are posted in cyanogen's forums. No ipv6 support though. P3Droid's newest ones also got rid of my redraw issues. Whatever you do, it's not normal to have lots of redraw issues so don't give up.

12. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

It is amazing how differently D1's are affected by using a certain kernel or launcher or fix. I never had any lag on launcherpro, ever, with bb0.5 and the slayher 1.6 kernel. I tried the lag-b-gone fix anyway and it seemed to have no effect. I still have absolutely no lag.

13. TheCraiggers

TheCraiggers Member

Thanks for the post, this seems to work much better than the "keep persistent" option in ADW.