Lag between vibrate and notification soundGeneral

Last Updated:

1. septangel

septangel New Member This Topic's Starter

So I never had this problem before, and I don't know what I may have changed that started it. Before my eris would play the notification sound within a second of the vibration. Now, my phone lags for about 2 or 3 seconds, vibrating first, then ringing.
    I use the native SMS program, and I don't want to have to download any new apps like chompSMS or anything, I just want my phone to start working again.
    Any input will be helpful! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing. Probably just has to do with how much I have installed on it though. I've used about 3/4 of my internal memory and same for the micro sd card. apps and music and all. I was reading that thread about the 16gb type 6 card. I just don't want to drop the cash yet.

Maybe after I get my taxes back... but even then I'd probably just fill it up with more junk.

3. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Handcent SMS, for example, will poll for new messages every (one minute) or some set amount of time. The glowing trackball and vibration just starts glowing as a direct result of your phone receiving the message. Since the 'Notification' (which includes sound) is individual to the person who sent it in terms of which ringtone it is, and what the message says - to put it at the top in your notification bar (instead of just generic - like the trackball glowing or the phone vibrating could be the same for anyone).

So as the system pages for a new message every minute or 30 or 15 or 10 seconds or whatever it is, it first gives the immediate response 'Hey, there's a new message, so I'm going to glow the trackball and vibrate', and once the page actually happens, it reads the data about the Contact in your list for a custom ringtone and message.

I hope that helps.

plugnpl4y likes this.
  4. Extodus

Extodus Active Member

I have the same problem, and your reply was awesome pkopalek.

I've noticed if my phone is on for a while, the lag occurs. When my phone has been restarted recently, the lag does not occur. So it seems to get worse the longer it has been since a restart.

I restart my phone every few days, is that unnecessary?

5. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Handcent controls the trackball glow... Chomp and the default app have no option for it.

I would also assume that if Handcent checks for incoming messages, the vibrate, trackball glow and whatever notification sound you have would all happen at the same time since they're all set by the app and disabled everywhere else.

I think that this lag happens because the phone takes a bit longer to query the app settings to figure out which notification ringtone you have set to use.

But I could be wrong :p

6. smacky

smacky Banned

I have the same issue. It has nothing to do with the SD card as I run my phone without one. It still happens. Not sure what caused it, but yes, it did start after 2.1. Not sure if it was v1 or v2, though.

7. Extodus

Extodus Active Member

Well I'm using 1.5 so it's not 2.1 specific.

8. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I've had that issue since updating to the first 2.1 leak. Not a big deal in my book but something that I have noticed.

9. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Same here. It's usually only a couple seconds.