Lag issues?

Last Updated:

1. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been on the brink of returning my Captivate a few times due to it's general lagyness. I've soldiered on and played with settings (and relied heavily on members of this forum and others) and have come up with a very general setup that seems to make this phone much better in my opinion.

Free free to correct, add to what I've put here or add your own suggestions as well.

It's rooted.
    I turned OFF power save mode
    I downloaded SetCPU and set it to make the processor run 100% all the time.
    I installed LauncherProBeta to replace touchwiz (this made an immediate improvement for me.)
    I setup Adv Task Killer to auto kill every 4 hours, it runs in the background, I use it to conveniantly check memory available but DO NOT kill tasks unless necessary.
    And lastly, per a suggestion from a friend on these forums with an EVO, downloaded, and installed MinFreeManager. It's a memory management program that basically allows you to set the minimum memory you want to keep available it then manages running programs so that that amount of ram is always on hand.

Before using this I would average around 100MB free and would drop as low as 72MB. Since installing I'm averaging about 130MB free ALL THE TIME. Again, it's made a huge difference.

I'll list the settings here as I have them. I apologize, they were given to me and honestly I have no idea what the individual settings pertain to. Only that they work for me.

Hope that helps some of you.

Advertisement
    drscws and jaybee like this.
  2. KappaG9

KappaG9 Well-Known Member

3. rob989_69

4. KappaG9

touche! I was just informing you just in case you didn't know :)

5. rob989_69

I do appreciate it. I was actually reprimanded by a friend of mine that has been in the community for a little over a year now. I felt like a scolded child when he saw Adv Task Killer on my phone!! LOL

6. KappaG9

Hahaha yeah i used to use it all the time!

7. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a suggestion on what the minimum memory should be?

You mention having 130. I just fresh booted my phone, and right off the bat, it is at 109.

[EDIT]
    I have installed and tried your settings. I'll post back how it goes. FYI...I don't know if it comes up with settings that are current when you first load it, or if it is the programs defaults. But when I open it after making your settings and assigning to be ther on boot, that is not what shows in it when I open it.

8. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

The only thing I did was to disable live wallpaper. After that the phone works just fine. I also removed most ATT applications but that was not really necessary.

9. rob989_69

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it does not save settings after a reboot. It's got default settings but they were made for older phones with less memory.

10. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

The version I installled has an option to apply at boot.

I am finding the phoen to have 140MB of memory. Very interesting.

BUT...this morning I am having the phone freeze. If this keeps happening, I'm going to try going back to normal and see what happens.'

11. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the task killer and see if it goes away. I'm finding that the Task killer doesn't help my battery life at all.

12. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

OK. I'll give it a whirl.

Tell me, are you trying this program, and using the settings he listed? How is it working out for you?

13. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is that if I don't use Auto Killer, the memory keeps getting smaller and smaller and the phone gets to where it won't work.

Another strange thing: when I first reboot it, and go in and look at what is loaded with Auto Killer, its a long list of programs.

Any idea whats up with that? (I started a thread about memory, I'm going to post this question there too.)

14. rob989_69

As for the reboot, yes, you can apply at reboot, and it even says success, but it doesn't work. I've been averaging between 130 and 140mb free. I stopped Task Killer entirely. I also tweaked some launcherpro settings per another post here and that helped tremendously.

15. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

You know, I thought I was getting 140 free. But then I later realized that what I was seeing was something like what I have now (based on the app Memory Usage):

Total: 325MB Avail: 62MB
    Active: 126MB Inactive: 147MB

I don't really know what the 'inactive' means, but I don't think that is free. I think Avail is what we've been referring to as free.

Due to some of the silliness I've seen when I set per above, I've been using the quite smaller settings. Just to see what happens, I just went in and did the settings per above, and now I have this:

Total: 325 Avail: 70MB
    Active: 120MB Inactive: 145MB

16. format13

format13 New Member

I know that 2.1 only sees 256mb of ram, but it really drives me crazy that I have 512mb total waiting to be used.

It is like buying a 400hp ferrari, but only being able to use 200hp...until ferrari figures out how to unlock the rest for you.

Pretty lame...

17. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I don't consider it lame. The OS is the limitation, and they are addressing new improvments and versions quite quickly.

I consider our phone somewhat future proofed.