• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
i've always been under the impression that computer hardware and software have to work together to make something fast and efficient. i guess i've been wrong all these years :thinking: (sarcasm
I think you're on to something here. This is one thing I don't seem to be seeing discussed, despite many threads about lag issues or general under-performance of the phone. How do we know it's not the hardware itself, but an issue with the OS, specifically as to how it works with other apps?

I think an issue might be not just with the handset's OS but also the apps a person installs on the device. These apps are almost all third party programs and to my knowledge there is no strict testing process that takes place before an app can be offered on the Marketplace. Its been my experience that many apps (I'd go so far as to say the majority) are flawed in some way and don't work correctly with my Eris. I've installed quite a few apps on my phone only to pull them off because they freeze up, require force closing, or seem to altogether bog everything down.

Being that many designers of these apps can't seem to even get their programs' basic functionality to work smoothly I think its a mistake to assume that installing even one app on your phone can not affect the device's ability to operate, or overlook this as a potential cause for any number of issues. In this I would include phone 'lag', potential battery life issues, etc. There's no guarantee that uninstalling an application will correct the issues.

These devices are basically all miniature computers and, as such, are logically subject to the same sort of issues full-sized devices are. An ill-designed piece of software can certainly wreak havoc with a computer's ability to run properly. And, given that the designers of many of these apps aren't working for large software companies with quality control departments (or for that matter have anything at stake i.e. money, profit) I think it safe to assume that there is even greater likelihood that an app could be flawed and cause issues for the end user.

So, in summation, I think that anyone out there who is complaining about phone lag, poor battery life, and possibly just about any issue with their Eris, or for that matter any smart phone that uses apps, needs to consider that at least part of this problem originates with what third party software the user has decided to install on the device.

To exacerbate this, Eris is running Android 1.5 and many apps are being designed with the Droid in mind, running 2.0.

For myself, I've decided to keep the phone as 'clean' as possible...at least for the meantime. I am installing/running apps sparingly, trying not to install a bunch of stuff on my phone that I don't use, uninstalling anything that doesn't work flawlessly, and avoiding apps with negative feedback from other Eris users, or lots of issue-related feedback in general.

Upvote 0
I've noticed my phone's been suffering from more and more lag. I haven't downloaded tons of apps or anything, in fact I think I only downloaded 4: Bloo, Zombie run!, google star map and Calvin and Hobbes.

Could it be from text messages? I've never cleared them out so they've been building up.
The phone is laggy! I have the Sprint Hero. Just read our forum. You will experience the same issues. Dont let Noah and those guys lie to you. Watch out for CNET too. Bonnie Chung ha! The phone is great but out dated. HTC Hero is the best Sprint phone rite now so Im good! My monthly payment is great! What about yours?????????????? Just dont open up to many apps. And dont be like the rest of forum. You dont need task killers. Dont use them, they will for sure mess up your phone. I know it sounds crazy but my phone is actually doing better with out it.

YOUR SPRINT HTC HERO USER!

Upvote 0
I think you're on to something here. This is one thing I don't seem to be seeing discussed, despite many threads about lag issues or general under-performance of the phone. How do we know it's not the hardware itself, but an issue with the OS, specifically as to how it works with other apps?

I think an issue might be not just with the handset's OS but also the apps a person installs on the device. These apps are almost all third party programs and to my knowledge there is no strict testing process that takes place before an app can be offered on the Marketplace. Its been my experience that many apps (I'd go so far as to say the majority) are flawed in some way and don't work correctly with my Eris. I've installed quite a few apps on my phone only to pull them off because they freeze up, require force closing, or seem to altogether bog everything down.

Being that many designers of these apps can't seem to even get their programs' basic functionality to work smoothly I think its a mistake to assume that installing even one app on your phone can not affect the device's ability to operate, or overlook this as a potential cause for any number of issues. In this I would include phone 'lag', potential battery life issues, etc. There's no guarantee that uninstalling an application will correct the issues.

These devices are basically all miniature computers and, as such, are logically subject to the same sort of issues full-sized devices are. An ill-designed piece of software can certainly wreak havoc with a computer's ability to run properly. And, given that the designers of many of these apps aren't working for large software companies with quality control departments (or for that matter have anything at stake i.e. money, profit) I think it safe to assume that there is even greater likelihood that an app could be flawed and cause issues for the end user.

So, in summation, I think that anyone out there who is complaining about phone lag, poor battery life, and possibly just about any issue with their Eris, or for that matter any smart phone that uses apps, needs to consider that at least part of this problem originates with what third party software the user has decided to install on the device.

To exacerbate this, Eris is running Android 1.5 and many apps are being designed with the Droid in mind, running 2.0.

For myself, I've decided to keep the phone as 'clean' as possible...at least for the meantime. I am installing/running apps sparingly, trying not to install a bunch of stuff on my phone that I don't use, uninstalling anything that doesn't work flawlessly, and avoiding apps with negative feedback from other Eris users, or lots of issue-related feedback in general.

Well said. It could be either hardware or software depending on the root of the problem for different people. One phone may have faulty hardware that is causing an issue, or a glitch in the software we use in general is creating a drain, if I may call it that, on the device.

Makes sense and probably not that far from the truth.

Upvote 0
I have to say I am very happy with my Eris. I am coming from a Palm Treo 755p. This phone is awesome. I have no lag (that I notice anyway), no delays, etc. I have probably 12 apps on it from the market. I turn it off completely every night, maybe that cleans it up and I do go in and clean the cache. I LOVE this phone!!!

My one complaint is that the battery life isn't what I think it should be. But that's because I am using it more like a mini computer than a phone.

But truly, this phone is great. IMHO

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones