Lag while Typing?Support

1. illinimatt81

illinimatt81 Active Member

I'm noticing some lag in the keyboard sometimes when typing. Everything will eventually show up that I type but it seems to get hung up while typing at times.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Advertisement
    :
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

absolutely zero lag in fact i tried to get it to lag by typing like mad and it wouldn't
  3. quiksilver169

quiksilver169 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this as well with native. Going to try SwiftKey.
  4. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Lag when switching from landscape and portrait...

No lag when actually typing.
  5. It's not lag when switching, it was created that way because people had issues with it switching too easily. I think maybe they need to increase the sensitivity a little bit because it does take a bit too long for my taste.
  6. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 Well-Known Member

I get terrible lag when typing in landscape. The other problem is when I click on a misspelled word to correct it, I click the correct spelling, then click at the end to type again and every time, the new text appears back where I corrected the misspelled word and the correction I made undoes itself. I can only type at the end if I switch to portrait. AHHH!
  7. jimmypop13

The lag is only in landscape
  8. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

ZERO LAG ANY ORIENTATION HERE

yo, I hate flatbrimmed hats and hardparking also :D:D
  9. jimmypop13

What's wrong with my phone!? :-( are you on 4.0.2?
  10. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

yup, and on VZW SGN. You got some crazy apps installed or maybe haven't checked the 2d accel box?

actually it was speedy like an idevice before checking that tonight.

edit: actually it was superb before checking that... hmmm.
  11. jimmypop13

OK I was testing this out. You have to be in landscape and type real words or a real sentence quickly. If i just type random letters and spaces, it doesn't lag. Every time i start a new word after pressing the space bar, I get major lag. The lag isn't too bad at first but it seems like once I'm to the second line of text, its horrid

And where and what is 2d accel for?
  12. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Ughhh, I hate lag of any sort! Especially while typing on a keyboard on an Android phone...One being the long awaited for Galaxy Nexus!

OK what gives...I'm getting lag while typing just about everywhere, within the browser, on the AF App, sometimes in messages? Come on Google, Samsung...This is unexceptionable...lol, I'm sure a software update can cure this. But its kind of disheartening seeing this right off the bat.

However, is anyone else seeing this?
  13. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I'm only getting a typing lag on select forums.
  14. TheGuardian

TheGuardian Well-Known Member

I noticed I definitively get lag when typing "very fast" at normal speeds its fine, but when I start typing fast it starts to fall behind. This happens just about everywhere. While not terrible, it does get a little aggravating at times. Not all users may experience this though, as you have to type fast enough. The Rezound keyboard had no such problems keeping up, I could type as fast as a pleased on that thing.
  15. Bandit390

Bandit390 Member

I get lag when texting fast. Usually the phone is 2-3 words behind what im typing. Never had this issue on my droid x.
  16. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I've been impressed w/ the lack of typing lag on my GN. Although, I upgraded from a Droid 1, which had such horrific typing lag that anything better would impress me.
  17. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

Same here, although I will add that I had the same type of lag on the Rezound if I was going fast enough. It's not apples to apples comparison though, because I was using SwiftKey on the Rezound and the stock keyboard on the Nexus. The HTC keyboard was gone within 1 day of owning the Rezound and since it doesn't come with the stock Android keyboard, I can't offer a true comparison.
  18. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

This is definitely annoying after coming from such a fast accurate keyboard that was present on the Razr.

I really hope an update can fix this.
    Trooper likes this.
  19. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

This typing lag started with Honeycomb and has yet to be fixed completely even though they have had months to fix it. Do a search for Honeycomb keyboard lag and you will see what I mean. I cannot believe they didn't fix this with ICS.
  20. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

I don't get any lag at all but I don't know if that has to do with not being a super fast typer on the phone or because I use smart keyboard pro.
  21. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I had keyboard lag on my stock rom Thunderbolt and Rezound but haven't experienced any on my GN . Even when in forums . I do however get some lag when trying to switch the orientation of the screen
  22. jphillips63

jphillips63 New Member

I have really bad lag when I'm typing either on a forum or sending an email, normal texting it keeps up. Yes it's very annoying Hope they get it resolved in the next update
  23. eedlebop

eedlebop Active Member

I did some testing with this and if you go into settings and then go into language and input, and toggle auto correct, then you will see a dramatic change in typing lag. The difference is quite remarkable with auto correct on, every keystroke you enter causes a database look up against dictionary words. With auto correct off, the database lookups do not have to happen so there is no lag at all.

For me personally, I prefer to have auto correct functionality so I will put up witqh the lag for now. This keyboard lag is 100 percent a software problem so a fix will be coming sooner or later.
  24. tonestert

tonestert Well-Known Member

I forgot which setting I changed but I either turned off Vibrate on keypress or sound on keypress (settings -> language & input -> Android keyboard setting) and that got rid of the lag for me.
  25. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i have a little when typing on forums or in a web page but to me isn't something to blame the G Nex for.

When typing in a text message or email i get no lag at all. In fact i tried to make it lag by going crazy on the keyboard and i got no lag.