lagging / slow phone responseSupport

Last Updated:

1. icedtea

icedtea Well-Known Member

i have read and followed some of the advise here and other forums but seems could not find a good answer. .

I did:

1. phone restart (will be ok but after x days,, lagging will start to occur again)

2. turned off the animation in developer options

3. minimal apps running..

4. no over loading apps (as per GSAM and wakelock detector) d

5. S voice via home button disabled already. . .

6. phone not rooted btw. .

7. an app or icon would take atleast 1 second before it respond. .. :(

2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Here are 4 suggestions for non rooted users, try them in the order they are shown to see which one works for you ...

1. Boot into Safe Mode. This is like safe mode on a PC and only loads the system apps. Check to see if you still are experiencing a problem. If not, the issue is with the user apps and/or settings. See items 2, 3 and 4. If you do experience problems in Safe Mode with no users apps or settings loaded, then you have a corrupt firmware update and you will need to either take it to a Samsung Service Point or your service provder for a firmware flash or, for competent users, you can re-install the firmware, if available, by downloading it to your PC and flashing it via Odin as per the instructions in #1.5 of 18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?.

2. Try going into Settings > Apps > All > Delete the cache for all apps and clear browser history.

3. Boot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache partition. See, here.

4. Do a Factory Data Reset. See, here.
  3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

If your S4 is running Android 4.3 or later, that means TRIM support is active on it.
    From Yet Another Reason to Update to Android 4.3: TRIM Support – xda-developers:
  4. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I need to read that article. I rarely if ever leave my phone plugged in for more than an hour or so, especially once it's fully charged.
  5. icedtea

still no definite issue to be found here. . . :( did some clear davlik cache already. ..
  6. ironass

That's interesting... I didn't think that the dalvik cache was accessible on unrooted phones. How does one go about clearing it on an unrooted phone?
  7. icedtea

sorry what i meant is the clear cache on the hard reset/boot option. . .
  8. ironass

Right, so you wiped the cache partition in Recovery mode, as per #3 of post #2.

So, you weren't getting the lag in Safe Mode as per #1 of post #2?
  9. icedtea

just did. . . seems no issues. .that's my phone's performance when it was new. . thinking if it's caused by some apps installed (OR ITS POSSIBLE that some apps are not compatible with the latest update? ) it happened to me before, upon update, it resulted that the APPLICATION LOCK app caused the rapid battery usage.. (i posted this as well here. . . )