• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help lagging / slow phone response

icedtea

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011
i have read and followed some of the advise here and other forums but seems could not find a good answer. .

I did:

1. phone restart (will be ok but after x days,, lagging will start to occur again)

2. turned off the animation in developer options

3. minimal apps running..

4. no over loading apps (as per GSAM and wakelock detector) d

5. S voice via home button disabled already. . .

6. phone not rooted btw. .

7. an app or icon would take atleast 1 second before it respond. .. :(

Here are 4 suggestions for non rooted users, try them in the order they are shown to see which one works for you ...

1. Boot into Safe Mode. This is like safe mode on a PC and only loads the system apps. Check to see if you still are experiencing a problem. If not, the issue is with the user apps and/or settings. See items 2, 3 and 4. If you do experience problems in Safe Mode with no users apps or settings loaded, then you have a corrupt firmware update and you will need to either take it to a Samsung Service Point or your service provder for a firmware flash or, for competent users, you can re-install the firmware, if available, by downloading it to your PC and flashing it via Odin as per the instructions in #1.5 of 18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?.

2. Try going into Settings > Apps > All > Delete the cache for all apps and clear browser history.

3. Boot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache partition. See, here.

4. Do a Factory Data Reset. See, here.

Upvote 0
If your S4 is running Android 4.3 or later, that means TRIM support is active on it.
From Yet Another Reason to Update to Android 4.3: TRIM Support – xda-developers:
…if your device is idle and plugged in for over an hour, it will run the “start idle maintenance window” event. However, this will only take place if the “start idle maintenance window” event hasn’t been sent in the past 24 hours, and if your battery level is either greater than 80% or you are plugged in and have greater than 30% battery."

Upvote 0
Right, so you wiped the cache partition in Recovery mode, as per #3 of post #2.

So, you weren't getting the lag in Safe Mode as per #1 of post #2?

just did. . . seems no issues. .that's my phone's performance when it was new. . thinking if it's caused by some apps installed (OR ITS POSSIBLE that some apps are not compatible with the latest update? ) it happened to me before, upon update, it resulted that the APPLICATION LOCK app caused the rapid battery usage.. (i posted this as well here. . . )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones