Laggy Handcent?Tips

Last Updated:

1. Imsods

Imsods Member This Topic's Starter

Im having this big issue with my handcent freezing when i open the app, it also freezes when i recieve messages. Ive deleted apps to see if that was the issue but nothing helped, any suggestions would be appreciated..

Advertisement
  2. sigmaxaa

sigmaxaa Member

Same thing but mine has been laggy when I'm receiving messages that are part of a group SMS...the conversation was only with 3 people but it has happened in the past and seems to continue being a problem.

I cleared the application cache so not sure what's going on.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

how many texts do you guys have ....after a while storage of texts makes handcent sluggish for some reason.

if you haven't already delete some texts. i by habit delete all unimportant texts once a week.

if that does not work uninstall handcent and reinstall it

4. sigmaxaa

sigmaxaa Member

I have Handcent set to start deleting when a text thread gets to 50 and, once a conversation is over, I delete the entire thread.

Best way to uninstall, and get all the necessary files, would be to use Titanium?

5. vaccdroid

vaccdroid Well-Known Member

Where is the option to have Handcent delete text after a certain amount. I looked all over and for some reason I cant find it.

6. sigmaxaa

sigmaxaa Member

I set it in the settings within the Messages application. Open the Messages app, click Menu/Settings and the 2nd option is to set the text message limit. I set mine to 50 here and Handcent must take its "cue" from this setting because my Handcent conversations get limited to 50 now.

Hope this helps.

xmysacredoathx likes this.
  7. vaccdroid

Thats in the Stock message app. I tried that and it froze handcent every time for me . Dont know why. I thought there might be an option in Handcent.

8. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

I hit the magic number of texts last week (11,000ish) and handcent started freezing up bad when opening the app or receiving a text. Finally tried about three different sms deleting apps.

KWAutoSMS Delete - Free - Android app on AppBrain
    is the only one that would work. It takes a LONG time to finish but it took care of the problem. I do mean a LONG time. I watched the progress bar for several hours and it barely moved. Finally about 18hours or so and it was done. Some of the comments reported as much as 2 days for it to get through all the messages. I keep it on now to delete anything older than 2 weeks.

9. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Use stock msg, theres nothing wrong with it.

10. sigmaxaa

sigmaxaa Member

I think I've been through all the settings in Handcent at least 10 times and couldn't find where I could limit the thread count. I couldn't get the count limitations to work until I set them inside the stock Messages app.

11. HTCRALEIGHFAN

HTCRALEIGHFAN Well-Known Member

bump for later!!! need to fix my handcent thread since i emailed them 2 weeks ago and no1 responded to me!

12. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Check market for updates.

Uninstall handcent...reinstall from market

13. xmysacredoathx

xmysacredoathx Member

I have been having a lot of issues with all my messages lately. I use Handcent primarily, and use the stock when Handcent was failing. I would mainly have problems when trying to delete threads. Some of which were 1000+. It would freeze both apps, and my phone. I would have to pull the battery every time. The apps would also generate a "not responding" message when I tried to open the app or delete threads. I was really concerned that my phone had a software problem.

I saw ScorpDX's suggestion above, downloaded the app, ran it, and deleted all about 150 messages. It did take quite a while to do so, but it cleaned it all up. I then uninstalled Handcent and reinstalled. I also took sigmaxaa's tip, and limited my message count to 150 in the stock app, which in turn limited Handcent, as well.

I performed all of this yesterday morning and have yet to have another issue. I immediately wanted to blame the Evo, but it really came down to user error. And honestly, Handcent has been running smoother and faster than ever. I hope this helps and thank you to the above posters.

14. toddpedersen

toddpedersen Well-Known Member

They NEVER respond!

15. mkampy

mkampy Well-Known Member

Interesting, I had this same problem with Handcent, kept waiting for updates, and when it did, no change.

I went in and deleted the big "conversations", but it still didnt run any smoother. I also limited them to 50.

It never would run very well, so I deleted & switched to Chomp. I have been relatively happy with it since, so I kept it. I decided the only feature I could not live without was the pop up window, the other customization wound up being ignored.

At least I now know it wasnt really Handcent at all now

16. vaccdroid

Got messages down to 100 now and hancent runs great now and my Evo doesnt slow up. I thoguht it was the EVO or handcent. Thanks to all in this thread.

17. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Man I must be lucky. I delete threads when they hit 1000 or so. No slowdowns at all.