laggy onscreen keyboard !

Last Updated:

1. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's driving me nuts...!

I go to type something then all of a sudden it pauses and then treats it as a long click so I end up with a symbol in the middle of the word and have to delete it and start again.

Also cos my thumb is man sized I end up pressing the next button along and so I read what I've put and all sorts of words are replaced. I like to hold the fone with one hand so changing it to landscape isn't going to help.

These 2 issues make texting and posting on forums a frustrating nightmare.

Anyone else suffer from keyboard lag on their Hero?

Advertisement
  2. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Nice and responsive for me - 2.0 modified ROM

3. keithwright

keithwright Active Member

I still get the longpress lag that you mentioned even after update, can be annoying.

Also when i am trying to insert a space i quite often end up with a full stop
    ...but i guess that one is more to do with the smallness of my thumbs

4. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Try deselecting the input options of vibrate and sound on touch...both of those may add delays.

5. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will try that and see how it goes ...thanks.

6. dreamgetter

dreamgetter Member

Where would i find those options, i must be blind. Hating the laggyness and the size of the keyboard, eventhough i don't have very large thumbs i constantly seem to be hitting other unintended letters. Thank god for auto correct.

7. rioja

rioja Guest

Go to Settings > Locale & text > Touch input > Text input. Look under Other settings

8. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

The options are available when you have the keyboard up, just click the cog icon at the bottom left. Also run the calibration tool if you haven't already, it improves the accuracy.

I'm getting the lag too and when I turn off the vibration that seems to sort it, but it's much nicer having the little haptic feedback so I'm gunna stick with it.

9. smithey253

smithey253 Member

Yeah i get this problem with my Hero

Hopefully it will be fixed in that 2.1 update that is floating around.

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

turn off the feedback like someone already said, i will bet you anything you'll be surprised by the reduction in lag.

Also, do you have prediction and spell correction turned on? I can tell you right now, my accuracy is crap at pressing the keys, yet the prediction is AMAZING. Sometimes I don't even click one correct letter in a word and it STILL gets it right, honestly, go try now.

You know there is also 3 types of keyboard right? If you still don't like QWERTY after applying the changes above, try compact QWERTY or phone keypad.