Landscape Keyboard Issue

Last Updated:

1. Gforce083

Gforce083 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So....my Aria is less than 24 hours old and twice now when texting in landscape mode a Force Close pops up and I can only type in portrait mode. I am using HTC keyboard and have not loaded any other keyboard. is this happening to anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. xti14

xti14 Active Member

Hasnt happened to me, not sure what the problem might be. Are you SMS texting every time this happens?

3. Gforce083

Yes....rather annoying

4. Gforce083

No help or advice on this? It continues to happen!

5. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

No clue, only thing I can say is to try a factory reset or try a different keyboard like SwiftKey

6. Gforce083

Apparently I'm not the only one! It's a big topic over on the HTC boards.

7. Gforce083

Now I've gotten a couple Force Quits on the portrait mode keyboard......everything else about the phone is great. Why does this have to be an issue!

8. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

I have no idea man, that's odd. I'd say either factory reset or get a new phone. Something is obviously jacked for you. I've not seen it once.

9. Gforce083

10. dragonhawk7

dragonhawk7 New Member

I bought my wife the HTC "Aria" .. she is having the exact same problem. The keyboard function works fine after she shuts down the phone and takes out the battery. Then the Force Quit option comes up.

11. Gforce083

I've never had to power off and take the battery out. After force close I finish in portrait mode and next time I go to text It's fine.

12. anika200

anika200 Well-Known Member

The only time my Aria has had a FC has been with third party apps. Even then the app closes and I delete said app and the phone continues to function fine with out removing the battery or turning off. Are you running sms plus or some other texting app? Otherwise this phone is rock solid.

13. Gforce083

Nope, using the onboard default text app.

I got my phone replaced today actually, so hopefully this is a non-issue.

14. XEYEMEX

XEYEMEX New Member

I have had the same issue with one of the Aria phones I just got. I picked one up for my wife over the weekend and it worked very well. So well that i traded in my Tilt for the one I received in the mail today. It immediately started giving my the FC in landscape.

On a different forum I saw the recommendation to switch to this keyboard http://www.swiftkey.net/ for functionality until/if HTC puts out a patch or something. I installed it, didn't really like it and stopped using it, switching back to the preset one that was malfunctioning. I did not uninstall it.

Anyway 75 texts and a few emails later the problem in completely gone. Perhaps it can help some of you.

On a side note has anyone had a problem with the USB cable that came with the phone? The one I got today will only charge the phone when hooked to my PC, i cant get a data connection at all. Glad the phone i got for my wife came with a good cable.

Thanks

15. Mythic

Mythic Well-Known Member

go to settings/connect to pc and make sure the ask me option is checked....that way when you plug in your usb cable a pop up will give you options to charge only(default), HTC sync or disk drive...you can also change the default as well

16. markj

markj Active Member

I've noticed this, too. I never use the landscape keyboard, but recently I keep getting FCs only while typing text messages. I use the XT9 phone keypad for text input, and Handcent SMS. But this only started happening recently.

17. Gforce083

So, it's happened twice now on my replacement phone! I'm guessing this is an HTC issue as it's the HTC keyboard.

No sure I'll be happy with this if it continues to happen throughout my 2 year contract....

18. strose09

strose09 Well-Known Member

This only happens to me when i text really fast.

19. Gforce083

who wants to feel restricted when they use their phone? There is no justification make this issue OK. I never had a keyboard freeze or close on me on my old LG Vu!

20. strose09

strose09 Well-Known Member

I agree I hope 2.2 can fix this or some firmware update in the future. I like the phone and still trying to learn tricks if there are any.

21. dh4645

dh4645 Well-Known Member

this landscape FC happens to me at least 2 or 3 times a week.
    it's when typing anything in landscape mode...could be a txt, email, etc, but most of the time it happens with a txt.

also sometimes when typing it vibrates for no reason, not the normal haptic feedback vibrate, it's stronger.

sometimes the landscape works on the next txt, but usually i have to restart the phone for it to work.

as said above there is a thread with a few "fixes" here.

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/96/t/3836.aspx