• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Language Learning

Hi all.

I'd really appreciate some advice regarding an app idea. I have a really clear idea of what I want, but it'd be great if someone with experience could tell me:
a) Is it simple enough that I could make it myself after taking an online course in app design?
b) If not, how expensive would it be to hire a developer?

It's an app destined for language learners to record new vocabulary. The app idea is this:

The user opens the app and sees two options: record word; practice.

User taps record word, sees two text fields: word; translation. User enters word (X) and its translation. App stores both in a local table with date of entry. User quits app.

Three days later, the app sends a push notification to the user that word(X) is ready to revise. User taps notification, app opens the 'practice' page. App displays word(X) with a blank translation box. Next to word(X) is a green tick and red cross. User taps green tick, translation is revealed, app sets next revision date at 7 days later. If user taps red cross, app reveals translation and sets next revision date to 3 days later.

User can trigger this page manually by selecting 'Practice' in app main page, but app only lists words that are programmed for revision on that date. The more words are recorded, the longer the daily lists become.

Thanks, that's so cool that you'd be interested in working on that. What's the next step in that case?
For me or for you? If you would like me to work on it, I'll just check in with you every once in a while with a question or update.

If you mean that you want to learn how to make it, I would start by getting use to stackoverflow and get started with TheNewBoston's android app development series. Make sure it is the newest one, not the one from 2010 or whatever it was.

Upvote 0
For me or for you? If you would like me to work on it, I'll just check in with you every once in a while with a question or update.

If you mean that you want to learn how to make it, I would start by getting use to stackoverflow and get started with TheNewBoston's android app development series. Make sure it is the newest one, not the one from 2010 or whatever it was.

That would be perfect if you could work on it yourself. Let me know as soon as you have questions. I'm an experienced English teacher so I've got good insight into what language learners are looking for.

Upvote 0
That would be perfect if you could work on it yourself. Let me know as soon as you have questions. I'm an experienced English teacher so I've got good insight into what language learners are looking for.
Three main questions at this very moment come to mind.

Do you have an idea for what you would like this app to be called?

Also, are you OK with the app sending a message once or twice a day if there are words to be practiced or would you like one to go out for every word?

Finally, you suggested that there be a green and red button be available during practice that will set the new data for practicing the word. The only difference you gave between the two is that one sets the date back four days later than the other. Is there suppose to be another difference between the two?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Three main questions at this very moment come to mind.

Do you have an idea for what you would like this app to be called?

Also, are you OK with the app sending a message once or twice a day if there are words to be practiced or would you like one to go out for every word?

Finally, you suggested that there be a green and red button be available during practice that will set the new data for practicing the word. The only difference you gave between the two is that one sets the date back four days later than the other. Is there suppose to be another difference between the two?

Thanks.

Hey man. Got your message, no worries.

1) I'd like the app to be called "Activate English", I'd be aiming it mainly at people learning English.

2) Good question, I think one notification a day with all the words to be practised that day is fine.

3) This one is more complicated but really important. When a word is entered on day Y, it should set notifications for:

Y+1 day, Y+5 days, Y+25 days, Y+4 months, and Y+2 years.

Imagine Y+25 days arrives. The user taps the notification. They see the word and tap to see the translation. They are then presented with the green tick (I remembered) and red tick (I didn't remember / made a mistake).

User clicks green tick, the next notification dates (Y+4 months, Y+2 years) are preserved.

User clicks red tick, the current date (Z) replaces Y and the notification dates for this word become:

Z+1 day, Z+5 days, Z+25 days, Z+4 months, and Z+2 years.

I hope that makes sense. I've changed the specs there from the original post. I think the user should be presented with a word, click each one individually to see the translation, and then see the green and red tick to tap if they remembered the word correctly or not.

Let me know if you have any more questions, thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey man. Got your message, no worries.

1) I'd like the app to be called "Activate English", I'd be aiming it mainly at people learning English.

2) Good question, I think one notification a day with all the words to be practised that day is fine.

3) This one is more complicated but really important. When a word is entered on day Y, it should set notifications for:

Y+1 day, Y+5 days, Y+25 days, Y+4 months, and Y+2 years.

Imagine Y+25 days arrives. The user taps the notification. They see the word and tap to see the translation. They are then presented with the green tick (I remembered) and red tick (I didn't remember / made a mistake).

User clicks green tick, the next notification dates (Y+4 months, Y+2 years) are preserved.

User clicks red tick, the current date (Z) replaces Y and the notification dates for this word become:

Z+1 day, Z+5 days, Z+25 days, Z+4 months, and Z+2 years.

I hope that makes sense. I've changed the specs there from the original post. I think the user should be presented with a word, click each one individually to see the translation, and then see the green and red tick to tap if they remembered the word correctly or not.

Let me know if you have any more questions, thanks!
Thanks for the reply, that makes things much more clear. I'll provide progress updates as I go along.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones