Language & silverlight support for Droid X (Android 2.2)Support

Last Updated:

1. sayeh

sayeh New Member This Topic's Starter

When is Android (2.2) going to add language support to Droid (such as Droid X) phones so we can see web sites in other languages? Also, we are unable to see videos that use Silverlight...
    Thank You...

Advertisement
  2. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

relax no need to shout. :/

3. ackoolness

ackoolness Well-Known Member

i cant hear you. what?

4. ByTheNumbers

ByTheNumbers Active Member

I can't comment on the language problem/question you have, but as for Silverlight, I'd say next to never. Silverlight is it's own framework for viewing media, just as flash is. Considering we just got flash (if you're a 2.2'er, that is), I doubt Google is going to jump on the Microsoft bandwagon at any point and implement it on their own (and competing) Mobile OS. I have heard of Moonlight and Microsoft's attempts at making an open source version...and that there is a mobile version coming out (although I only believe it to Windows and Symbian devices). There may be a snowball's chance in hell some dev out there would decide to port over the GPL version to Android (if it's even possible)- but I doubt it ever coming across Android.

Also- Awesome font you found there buddy. Might want to kick that down a notch. My eyes hurt :D

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

6. The Faceless Rebel

The Faceless Rebel Well-Known Member

If you are anxious for Silverlight support, I suggest Windows Phone 7. Though I don't know why, outside of Microsoft.com almost no sites use Silverlight.

7. MentatYP

MentatYP Well-Known Member

NBC Olympics and Universal sites, Netflix streaming, Hard Rock Cafe, Kelley Blue Book... just to name a few.

8. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

I could see Microsoft porting Silverlight to Android. Possibly in a way where one could write cross platform application for Windows and Android phones. The new Windows phone is really going to be behind in applications compared to iOS and Android, I could see Microsoft trying to gain ground this way.

But I doubt it.

Silverlight is a bit more than of general purpose programming language/platform than Flash. It is more like Java, it is often used inside browsers, but it doesn't need to be.