• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptop power jack problem really baffeled.

Spec-Kie

Jan 17, 2013
North East UK.
Hey guys me again. Really got a bitnof a problem here..

So here it goes. The power jack on my laptop has 5 cables running off it 3 black and 2 red. 2 red are joined together and 2 black are the same with one set off with an o ring attached to it. It then has a PCB connector on the end which then plugs into mobo. Then obs the powerjack sits in it place with a metal clip over the top then that clip is screwed down with a black screw and the cable off the pj goes on with it. That clip has snapped right between where the screw does. Now i have changed the powerjack and some times it will charge or in my case power up battery has gone or sometime it wont work any ideas? My laptol is a samsung r519 :) thanks guys..

Make sure the solder flows - like water. A cold solder joint is worse than no solder at all. A 37 watt soldering pencil is about all you should use - anything hotter could cause damage to the board.

As far as the clip, replace it. If they charge you $3 with shipping you're being ripped off, but if the jack breaks free you could be in for a new motherboard.

(This is such a common problem - loose charging jacks - that there are companies that do nothing but replace laptop charging jacks, and make loads of money. 25 cents more for each laptop would prevent the problem at minimal cost to the end user.)

Upvote 0
i was just having a little re read over this thread to see if there was something i was missing. I notice that some people have said to make sure the solder flows or its not going to work. Thing is the DCjack is not soldered to the board its is a serperate part from the board. its on a cable. and that cable is soldered to the jack and then the cable it plugged in.

Upvote 0

URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/keanoo1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131210_093658.jpg.html]
20131210_093658.jpg
[/URL]

[/URL

This is my problem ..

Upvote 0
Dude, drop your laptop much?

You should be able to get replacement parts for the hinge and such on eBay.

The wires look intact, but that doesn't really mean anything. That third black wire, is it a ring-terminal, supposed to go under the screw holding the metal clip?

Anyway, if you removed the the heatshrink at the back of the connector, then you would see the solder connections everyone is talking about.

You might be better served replacing the jack entirely, if you aren't familiar with a soldering iron (or lack one). Tug lightly on the wires and see if one comes loose. It is entirely possible that your charging wire is bad-- they fail so damn frequently, it isn't even funny.

Upvote 0
Yeah its a pretty old one i have had it a few years now. I no all the bezels are snapped thays all recent stuff that its a wreck.. well i have taken the wire off taken all the old solder off and resoldered them back on no luck. And yeah the ring is screwed down to the case on the clip .. its only recently starting to do it.. i have tryed it with a brand new jack and still same problem also tryed it with different cables .. still have same problem. The bafflling thing is sometimes it gets a connection and works.. and then some times it doesnt..

Upvote 0
Hrm...

Normally, I'd say no-- it isn't like this is an all-metal case that would provide a ground-plane for certain components-- but sometimes engineers do weird things.

Since you replaced the jack... did you say you tried a new brick? If so, then the next logical step would be to replace the battery.

If that doesn't do the trick, then most likely you ave a bad mainboard, but that is low on the possibilities list.

Upvote 0
You ARE replacing the screw that goes through that ring terminal and into that threaded post, right? And tightening it down, with at least a little pressure on the screwdriver?

As Dngrsone said, you could cut off the shrink tubing to make sure that the wires are well-soldered (that's why I prefer buying individual components, not pre-wired assemblies), but a good low resistance continuity tester would test end-to-end a lot easier and leave the insulation intact. But that's what we were talking about - is the solder well-flowed around those terminals under the tubing (which you can't see).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones