1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

last.fm

Last Updated:

1. Andyc655

Andyc655 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I downloaded the last.fm app on my HTC hero. When you dl and install it does warn of compatability problems on certain networks (I'm on Orange) so there might not be anything I can do about this but...

When i search for an artist, it finds them (Foo Fighters for example) and even shows me their album art work but when i go to play the songs it gives me someone completely different??

Anyone else had similar issues? Or, perhaps more likely, is there another app out there that does similar and lets me playlist and stream music??

Spotify requires a 'premium' (paid for) account...

Any help well appreciated!!

Advertisement
  2. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

That's by design. What happens is; when you do a search for an artist and then play the station, you're playing a radio station based on that artist and similar artists. So, for example, when I do a search for Foo Fighters, I get Audioslave, Jane's Addiction and the like...if I do a search for DJ Shadow, I get Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow and DJ Cam. That's the way the Last.FM website works too.
    That's kind of Last.FM's thing; you let it know the music you like and listen to, and it will throw music at you that it thinks you'll like. I've found more new bands and artists that I like than I could list through Last.FM. As for alternatives, I only use Last.FM myself, but I'm sure someone here will know of one.

3. Andyc655

Ah, so I have completely missed the point of the thing then? Excellent!

But yeah, are there any other apps out there that stream music of your choice?

4. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about iMeem, but never used it myself. It might do what you're looking for.

In fact, I'll download it and go have a looky-see.

EDIT - Nope, it doesn't seem to do what you're looking for either.

5. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

The Dizzler app works wonders
    you search an artist or a song name and it shows you the search results
    only problem is that when the song is over, it doesn't go onto the next track you need to go choose the next track for it to play.

6. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

Streaming music over your mobile provider is going to cost a LOT. Even on an Orange unlimited wifi account you'd reach fair usage in a matter of hours/days.
    Would be much much cheaper to go for a premium Spotify. At least you can download music (via wifi) and play offline.

7. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

well thats what the unlimited data plan is for,
    besides, I use wifi (much faster)

if you want to download the music onto your phone, rather than streaming, another good app is Imusic

8. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

I didn't even think that Orange had a Unlimited data plan. I know they advertise one direct on the Orange website, but that's for Blackberry phones and is only really Unlimited Push email.

The only place where I saw an Unlimited Orange data plan was at Carphone Warehouse and their Unlimited actually meant 500mb a month. Not very unlimited if you ask me.

9. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

actually, I'm referring to the t-mobile data plan.
    T-mobile kinda forces you into an unlimited data plan (unless you do a sim card swap)
    I'm not sure if orange has one.
    but if you get one of the phones that has an unlimited data plan you switch the sim card to have it on your android.

10. Verbal

Verbal Active Member

Try I music Andy. I've had minimal use so far but could be what you're looking for.

11. Andyc655

I music is great so far. Downloading songs doesn't half seem to hammer the battery, but I'm doing it at home on wifi so it's not too bad and can always go stick it on charge.

So, thank you very much!