Last question before purchasing

Last Updated:

1. Jmelick07

Jmelick07 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so i'm about to pull the trigger and get an evo but I have one last question.

I've played around with a few at stores and they all seem slow, espically compared to my iphone 3gs which theoretically should be much slower.

I'm just kinda pushing this issue off and telling myself that this is because their at the stores and tons of people use them and have everything running (ie: flash) and that bogs them down.

So has anyone else felt this way before buying an evo then got their own and been blown away by the speed as I'm expecting to be?

My main issue is the scrolling and pinch to zoom seem to be no where near as smooth as my iphone but I'm hoping that is just because their store models..... am I probably correct?

Advertisement
  2. dannyg40

dannyg40 Well-Known Member

Just got mine after having a Samsung Moment. I love the phone. I think the scroll and pinch to zoon is smooth as silk myself. Internet speed is great. I didnt do any speed test and cant compare it to an Iphone, but its plenty fast loading pages with a lot of images and graphics. I just found out the other day a buddy of mine in work has and I phone and likes it, but I didnt know the on screen keyboard dont have "back" keys or arrow keys. If he makes a mistake typing he has to hold the erase eveything way back to the point of the mistake he typed. I guess its the default keyboard on the phone. The plan I have with Sprint & the price of a plan for the Iphone, staying with Sprint was a n brainer. But anyway, you wont regret the EVO. I thought I made a mistake at first because the battery was dying real quick. Did a full 12 hour charge and couldnt be happier with the phone.

3. IgnatiusTheKing

IgnatiusTheKing Well-Known Member

I switched from the iPhone and love my EVO. Just take the plunge, and if you don't like it you can return it for a 100% refund (no restocking fee or anything from Sprint) within 30 days.

4. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I came from a 3GS and I couldn't be happier. I don't think I could ever go back to iPhone.

5. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

I have noticed a slight delay (just being honest, sorry) when loading pics in the gallery. But the benefit of having an Android OS, being able to switch to other runnings aps, and the drop down notifier bar far outweight it. I was not a heavy iPhone user, i had to use one for work for a few months and as soon as i got my hands on an EVO i have never looked back.

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I say you have waited this long...wait and see what comes out in January ....

why buy an EVO now?

7. ogxenergy

ogxenergy Well-Known Member

Cause nothing better than the evo is gonna come out... if somthing does come out it will either be the same as the evo or it will be a phone with lower stats

8. dannyg40

dannyg40 Well-Known Member

I agree.... Get what you want when you want it. And who knows, something new will come out and it might be buggy. New phones come out every 6 months so think about it.. do you want to wait 6 months, then maybe 6 more months in june, or maybe something even better might be out 6 months from that ? If I did that I would never have a new phone. The EVO is it period.... Love the phone.

9. james4513

james4513 Member

Get the EVO from Sprint, but don't use your current iPhone number (you can change later if you keep the EVO). I have a 3GS, purchased the EVO, and returned it about a week later. The EVO is very good and I liked many things about it better than the iPhone, but it's just not finished to the iPhone standards (especially apps). My plan is to make the switch when Android 3.0 is released on the EVO follow-on product - likely Q1 of next year.

10. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

First it will not be android 3.0 but 2.3 and second even though you have an OS update that still does not do much for the market. This is an open source market where everyone can develop an app and submit it to the store. The reason why it is not as good as the iphone is because the system came out later and way too many sheepeople out there keep buying stupid iphone.

Android is really going to get up there and when it does apple is really gonna suck with its restrictions and bla bla rules that you do not own your phone. This is what happened when Linux first came out. It eventually got to the standard of windows and it became better because of its open source nature. This is why Microsoft released part of its source code. Trust me I should know

11. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Evo is definitely a solid and smooth device. Everything just runs great, no shutters and pitch zooming is wonderful. I really dont know what else i could want out if a mobile device. I will say this, the camera could be slightly better. But everything this phone has to offer is simply amazing.

12. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Apple OS is fast itself. The problem is it's limited in customization ability and Android isn't. The network for iPhone is the biggest problem. Fast phone plus poor network is not a good combination.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

hrmmm...I suspect that we will see about 6 phones over the next 6 months that give more options to potential buyers

I love my Evo...but with windows mobile 7 phones rolling out, along with phones like the my touch 4g and the g2 over on tmobile....I would say it is worth one looking into all options out there. Those phones are out now...and to one person may may have more valuable features than the evo.

I love my Evo yes, but to say it is the only phone out right now capable of what it is and does is an incorrect statement. ...and that is not including those phones that are going through testing as we type

I do agree with this :)

as for the original question....we have a 3gs, and 3g in the house...My Evo completely blows them away. My gf is looking into android based phones...but here 3g works fine. After reading reviews on the Evo and other current Android devices, and seeing some of the info on the new windows devices, AND seeing some of the phones that "may" be out just after xmas, she has opted to wait for "that perfect" phone that fits what she wants

14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I would wait at least a year or more before ever considering a Windows phone. It doesn't even have 100% seemless integration with Windows OS, and that was an imperative before launch. Really, MSFT cannot expect people to want all their personal and business info to be synced through their cloud service. MSFT hasn't learned from Apple that people simply don't want all their info in the cloud. Some do, but not the majority. Of all things, this was a monumental miss that will crimp attitudes and buyer potential.

As to the ever-present questions about Evo's performance, I can say that no one I've run across has a phone that makes me jealous for speed or performance. I wish Android apps were as useful and well-developed as some iPhone apps (some of the Android versions of identical apps just don't work as well), but that will come in time and with more competition in the app developer arena. In fact, I'd like to see more paid apps at the $1.99 and under in the market instead of the current slew of free or $4.99+ that seem to be most common.