last step before i root - backing up "people" the way that I want!

Last Updated:

1. ssddyakno

ssddyakno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, nobody seems to know the answer for this. I'm about to starting trying this whole rooting process.

What I want to do is back up my people app, but ONLY what I have stored in the phone. There has to be a way to do this. Every thread I read mentions that google does that automatically, but I do not want to import my gmail contacts because there are tons of people in there who I do not want in my phone.

So the physical app, and what's stored IN the phone is what I'm looking for.

Who can help me out here?

Much thanks!

Advertisement
  2. melophat

melophat Well-Known Member

you can use titanium after you root and before you flash different roms.. if you do the root, it shouldn't screw anything up. it's when you flash roms/kernels that you start having to worry about data loss. but yeah, after you root, do a full app and data backup on titanium backup and a nandroid backup and you'll be fine.

ssddyakno likes this.
  3. coolbone

coolbone Well-Known Member

As long as you don't sync your account with your google account (inside settings>accounts and sync) after you do a titanium backup and restore ok the new rom, you'll have exactly whim you wish to have.

In other words:

Root, install titanium, backup contacts, nandroid backup, flash rom, start restore, uncheck contacts in google sync, titanium restore, enjoy.

From my Incredible Drooooiiiiiid.

ssddyakno likes this.
  4. kingnerd

kingnerd Active Member

Exactly what you described is very easy. Hit menu, then hit import/export, and export to SD card. Then, hit "Phone" rather than Google. This will export only your phone contacts to your SD card, and you can simply import them later.

ssddyakno likes this.
  5. ssddyakno

ssddyakno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to all who replied.

Now, if I can only get out of the first step of rooting. Run loop.bat in recovery and it never EVER lets me in.

6. mdonova33

mdonova33 Well-Known Member

Perfect. Now if i could only get root!

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible