• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Late 2010/2011 phones?

Zumaki

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
I'm nearly able to get my upgrade and swap the Moment out for something else. I'm leaning toward the EVO, but it's been out since June. Is there a new round of newer phones coming at the end of this year or early next year I should know about? I just read in a magazine about 1.5ghz processors and dual-core phone processors coming next year, so I'd rather wait for a "gen 3" sprint android phone than grab an EVO if the wait won't be too long.

Advise please!

I have my upgrade coming up in Nov as well. I'm debating about keeping my upgrade for a new phone, or getting a Transform or Evo and selling it to recoup my costs from buying my current Evo and Epic out of upgrade cycle.

The next few weeks will be interesting. If no new rumors of phones are coming out, I'm not willing to wait. I'll buy Transform or Evo or Epic and sell it to recoup my previous costs.

This way I don't delay the next upgrade by a few months that is due to me as a Premier customer. Every month that you don't use the upgrade is some cost of time and money to you since your future upgrade gets pushed out that much further.

By the way, the Evo and Epic are such tremendous upgrades to the Moment, that you'll be happy to be using them for another year, even if other phones come out during that time. I just couldn't wait to get either one which is why I chose to buy them in advance of my upgrade.

Upvote 0
I know EVO is great, my fiance and brother each got one, and are loving them. And they're plenty fast. And that the EVO is already a few months old isn't really a bad thing: it's tried and true. But if there's something that could be better coming along, I'd like to wait. I just can't find any info on 'the googles' about new phones.

Upvote 0
Yea I don't see any info either. That's why I'm leaning towards using the upgrade.

That way next november you can buy the latest and greatest.

Waiting is always an option, but if you had waited to buy the Moment til this Spring, you'd still have no real options and now your next upgrade is then next spring.

I'm glad I didn't wait to buy the Moment last Nov, even though people kept saying new phones were coming in early 2010.

Upvote 0
If you look around and are patient, you can find like new Evo's sub $300. Subtract the selling pirice of he Moment and you're spending about what you would or less than the upgrade price. Save the upgrade for a 3.0 device next spring because I think if there was a killer device coming before the holidays, we'd have heard about it already. I'll second AndroidSPCS's comment thet either the Evo or Epic will last you a good while, but I'd choose the slightly more powerful Epic over the older Evo.

AndroidSPCS- If you're planning on a device to turn and burn, the Epic is looking like a better choice now that the Evo's back in stock. Good luck!

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. The early adopters have the benefit of their contracts running out when the new phones are still new, while us that were slower to adopt have to worry about the next great thing being right around the corner. We do get another benefit though, the phones are already able to get root and have custom roms when we take the plunge. I have one line ready for upgrade now but my main line upgrades in December. I'll check out the rumor mill then and decide what to do based on what's in the pipe. I'm leaning towards the evo atm mainly because of the gps and the ability to use swype on a larger onscreen keyboard. I've been on samsung for about 5 years and am thinking I want to try something different...

Upvote 0
I agree ovrrdrive. However, the leap from the Moment to either the Epic or Evo is an amazingly huge one.

From a very slow & buggy phone with stock ROMs to amazingly fast 4G phones, it's night and day.

The miniscule 3.2" screen to the spacious 4.3" or 4.0" screens is also night and day.

These two factors alone make it a revolutionary jump, not just an incremental update.

That is why I could not wait to get off the Moment onto the Evo and Epic.

However, I suspect the next leaps from the Evo / Epic will be not as drastic. I don't see screen sizes getting dramatically bigger, one of the biggest complaints I have about the Moment. And the Evo / Epic are plenty fast as is.

So I'm content to stick with the Evo / Epic for another year, whereas I couldn't wait to get off the Moment.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
I can't agree more with AndroidSPCS! If you're a Moment user and don't want to spend money, don't play with a Evo or Epic. My wife got an Epic to replace her awful Pre and after using it for a few minutes, my Moment felt really cramped and laggy. Two weeks in and I ended up buying a used Evo. After a day of Evo ownership, I do miss the hardware keyboard, but that's IT! Every other aspect of the phone is vastly superior, especially if your eyes are past their prime like me. If I keep improving with swype, I might not miss that keyboard either.

Upvote 0
I keep reading on the Epic forum(s) about how Samsung basically hasn't learned its lesson regarding customer support for their Android products... so I'm goin with the EVO, even though I really like the Epic better. I have said for almost a year now that I won't give Samsung any more business if they aren't going to take care of their customers, and it looks like they still don't.

That being said, I have heard the Epic is a pretty good phone. So the situation is similar to owning a Sony product: solid, fun, useful products, but god help you if something goes wrong or you want updates.

Upvote 0
They realize it now. The "4g fee" as you call it is just a way to get a little more money out of us. I know this because they don't have 4g where I am but they'll still add the charge for the upgrade.

It's just another cost to haveing a great phone. Honestly it isn't going to stop me from upgrading when the time comes...

Upvote 0
I do think that Samsung is changing it's support goals for smartphones. The proof? They've done an update and are rumored to have another in the works for the now end of life Moment. The old Samsung doesn't do that.

If they make a 'final' update for the Moment I'd consider buying a Samsung phone next upgrade cycle. That is progressive of them.

Upvote 0
If they make a 'final' update for the Moment I'd consider buying a Samsung phone next upgrade cycle. That is progressive of them.
You asked, they delivered. I haven't got mine OTA yet. I've not experienced the lock up issue too often and my GPS has always worked pretty good so I'm looking forward to the next Samsung Android with Gingerbread. I gotta have the QWERTY slide.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt BB will have the Epic or Evo for free, because it would cause a huge wave of returns from prior free fridays, for people looking to get the more expensive phone for free.

If they were to have offered the Epic or Evo for free, it would have been the very first Friday, and that would result in few to zero returns due to buyer's remorse about having bought an inferior / cheaper phone the previous Fridays.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones